Drop Everything And Read discussion

Book of the Month > Book Of The Month

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (last edited May 14, 2018 07:38AM) (new)

Hallie (inkyhallie) | 5470 comments Mod
Every month, we vote on the books which we read. This is known as 'BOTM'. Before putting up the polls, the books have to be suggested by you.

We don't want to go too hard on you, but in order to make things organized, a few rules have to be followed.

Rules
- The books can be of any genre which we read here.
- All books must be universal i.e. younger members should be able to read them, too. That means no romance, erotica, or adult. Minor romance will be accepted.
- Anyone can suggest any number of books.
- Authors cannot suggest their own books. They have to be suggested by someone else.
- If any author persuades another member to suggest their books, then the book will be disqualified.
- A book can be read only once, so check the topic "Books Read" before suggesting. If you are a new member, and don't know all the books we've read, this is highly recommended.
- It is not mandatory to read the books the group is reading. However, doing so is highly recommended.
- While suggesting a book from any series, please make sure we have read the previous books. In short, they cannot be read out of order.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Will the poll be recreated?

message 3: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

It looks like it's too late. So I'll just throw a dice, and select some random book.

message 4: by ella (new)

ella When the polls did exist, I saw that it was deleted anyways.

message 5: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

It was deleted? I don't know the results then since I couldn't check.

message 6: by Wasiraj032 (new)

Wasiraj032 | 2 comments My favorite book is "refusal". This is a book written by an author known as Umar Khan. This book is for all the objections of a loved one's face after getting poorer
http://www.result.pk/

message 7: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette Hensby | 2 comments Hi Hallie
Is it not possible to have two separate BOTM sections? There are very many excellent books that are not really suitable for younger readers and we are missing out on sharing information about these. I would have wanted to suggest "Dirty Laundry" by Ivan Von Baublitz, which is one of the best books that I have ever read, but not suitable for younger readers.

message 8: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

Hi Jeannette! :)

Well, it's a very good idea, but I'm afraid I can't do it right now. That would require another group only for adults, and presently, I don't think I can handle another. However, I'll certainly try to do something about it - not just yet. Maybe in a year or two. Sorry about that.

message 9: by Annika (new)

Annika | 67 comments Does the book have to have come out this month/year?

message 10: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

No, it can be even from a different millennium :)

message 11: by LeShelle (new)

LeShelle Hello I'm new and need some help. I'm confused as to how we know what book we are to read for Jan when we go to one of the BOTM selections. I see the suggestions but am not seeing polls or which book won the poll. Could someone please advise? Thanks!! Sorry, if I'm missing the obvious.

message 12: by Annika (new)

Annika | 67 comments Thank you Hallie!

message 13: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

LeShelle wrote: "Hello I'm new and need some help. I'm confused as to how we know what book we are to read for Jan when we go to one of the BOTM selections. I see the suggestions but am not seeing polls or which bo..."

Firstly, welcome to the group, LeShelle! :) Hope you like this group!

Secondly, the books that we are reading have discussions in the Currently Reading folder. The polls (which are not open at the moment, but will be in a few days) are in the polls section. The books that we read in the previous months are in the Read folder. Also, a monthly group braodcast is sent at the beginning of each month announcing the books we're reading that month, but anyone who joined after the 1st would not receive that message. Hope this makes sense.

message 14: by LeShelle (new)

LeShelle Thank you very much. This helps a lot!!

message 15: by lacy (new)

lacy white (lacymiri) I have a question about the series section. What constitutes a series? Like how many books does this group consider to be a series? I have a few books in mind but I don't know if they would be considered a series or not.

message 16: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

lacy wrote: "I have a question about the series section. What constitutes a series? Like how many books does this group consider to be a series? I have a few books in mind but I don't know if they would be cons..."

Well, series have more than one book with the same characters and is built revolving around the first book. However, if the first book is completely different (with different characters or maybe even a different universe), it can be considered in the stand alone section. For instance, Agatha's Christie's Hercule Poirot's cases need not have to be read in order. Even two books are considered as series :)

message 17: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

Priscilla wrote: "I have another question: so we're free to comment the books on "Currently reading" any time during the month?"

Yes :) You can comment even on the previously read books in the Read folder after we've finished it in a different month.

message 18: by lacy (new)

lacy white (lacymiri) Hallie wrote: "lacy wrote: "I have a question about the series section. What constitutes a series? Like how many books does this group consider to be a series? I have a few books in mind but I don't know if they ..."

Awesome! Thanks for clarifying! :D

message 19: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Vessels Do we receive a notification when the books of the month are chosen?

message 20: by Rich (new)

Rich Thomas | 493 comments Stacy wrote: "Do we receive a notification when the books of the month are chosen?"

I usually look at the home page. It states what we are reading for the month. You could also go back to the poll at the end of the month and check what won the poll! :)

message 21: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

Stacy wrote: "Do we receive a notification when the books of the month are chosen?"

Forgive me for the delayed response! There is a monthly group broadcast with the books of the month chosen on the first of every month - this month's newsletter has been delayed because I wasn't in town. It will be out by the end of today, so you can see how it looks :) For those who joined after the message was sent out, Rich's answer will be more helpful until the next month.

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 648 comments I love this idea

message 23: by martin eden (new)

martin eden | 405 comments Hi Hallie! What about the books of the month?

message 24: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

Hi! I'm so sorry! I'm actually trying to change the current system because not many are participating. It will resume again in January (suggestions will be up soon with new rules)

message 25: by martin eden (new)

martin eden | 405 comments Hallie wrote: "Hi! I'm so sorry! I'm actually trying to change the current system because not many are participating. It will resume again in January (suggestions will be up soon with new rules)"

Ok, thanks!

message 26: by Mikka (new)

Mikka (mikkaliest) That's good to know! :-) I'll try to participate at least a few times – this year, I never got around to joining any group reads...

message 27: by Rumell (new)

Rumell Khan (rkrespectedmember) | 2541 comments How do you run the BOTM in this group?

message 28: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

Well, the first post is supposed to explain that.

message 29: by Rumell (new)

Rumell Khan (rkrespectedmember) | 2541 comments Can we nominate non fiction books?

message 30: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

Yes.

message 31: by Aqsa (new)

Aqsa (her_747) | 570 comments I nominate Northanger Abbey

message 32: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

Nominations are closed now.