The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
Read > The Book Thief

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hallie (inkyhallie) | 5470 comments Mod
Thoughts?

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Death as the narrator was my favourite part of this otherwise predictable book.

message 3: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 5 stars

My second favourite book of all time! I loved the story!

Stacy Urbany | 39 comments I loved this book. One of my Favorites.

message 5: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yay, another lover!!

message 6: by Lauraleen (new)

Lauraleen Reoch | 4 comments Thoroughly enjoyed this work. Wasn't as keen on his other work.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Harry: Ron, look, my lightning bolt

Ron: Harry! It's not there

Percy Jackson and the Lightning theif

message 8: by TessaMarie (last edited Nov 28, 2015 09:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

TessaMarie Beard (view spoiler)

I loved the book though

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, but the movies were,

Faillllllll

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, but the movies were,

Faillllllll

TessaMarie Beard I didn't think The Book Theif movie was that bad

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

the only problem was the descriptions and plot lines :)

message 13: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 5 stars

I didn't watch the movies. I'm relieved!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't, there are only two and they are not very good. For instance, in the first movie, Annabeth has brown hair!!!!!!!

TessaMarie Beard I hated the PJO movies. Do not watch them!!!!!!!

Stacy Urbany | 39 comments Hallie wrote: "I didn't watch the movies. I'm relieved!"

Hallie, have you read City of Thieves by David Benioff?

message 17: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacy wrote: "Hallie wrote: "I didn't watch the movies. I'm relieved!"

Hallie, have you read City of Thieves by David Benioff?"

No. Is it good?

Stacy Urbany | 39 comments I really liked it. You should try it.

message 19: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 5 stars

I will! :)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) A beautiful, sad book, love the narrator what a twist to the tale.

Jeffrey Death as narrator gave the book an extra dimension. I've got a review on my GR account.

message 22: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 9 comments I need to pick this book back up again. I enjoyed it as I was reading it, but I found that it was one of those books that I didn't miss once I had set it down. Maybe because the world is so grim, and there's so little hope in sight. Maybe because I wasn't really sure where the story was going. But it was a great story. Death makes an interesting narrator, and the characters are three dimensional. I'll give it another try some time soon.

Tiziana N (goodreadcomtiziana_n) | 4 comments C.L. wrote: "I need to pick this book back up again. I enjoyed it as I was reading it, but I found that it was one of those books that I didn't miss once I had set it down. Maybe because the world is so grim, a..."

I felt exactly the same. Death being the narrator was the most interesting part of the story and what got me to pick up this novel in the first place.

message 24: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie (stefanieribarra) I got the kindle version a while ago but I haven't read it yet. Don't know why.

Tiffany | 28 comments I really liked this book. the concept of death has narrator reminded me of a great movie, "meet joe black." Despite being sad, it's a fantastic book.

Marieke I thought this book was amazing. Certainly better than I was expecting. I really loved the Death-being-the-narratorpart. It is true that Zusak doesn't really follow the story telling conventions. But I think this is a strong point in the book: it surprises you by following a different route.

Some earlier stated that the narrator was the best part of the book. I actually agree with that: the narrator makes the book remarkable. The story at least isn't really surprising, although sometime gruesome. It is the way of telling it that stands out.

How does Death tell his story? Just like your average, sometimes mediocre, narrator: he skips ahead and back, revealing bits of the story that could've otherwhise surprised the reader. I.e. sometimes he really spoils the story. But, as I stated above, the story isn't really what sets this book apart, it's the narrator

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with the Narratrator making this book really good. I loved this book and enjoyed reading. I really shows the hard struggles with the family. I love reading holocaust books- it really brings you an undersanding.

message 28: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy (audioaddict1234) I have read a lot of books set in WWII, but this was the first with a German perspective. Wonderful story. It made me cry but it was wartime after all.

message 30: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ƙανу Jαcкѕση Ƒυℓℓвυѕтєя ~And now I see you've got something to prove, And nothing to lose, so let me tell you the truth.~ wrote: "I'M READING THIS RN!! I LOVE IT!!"

ISN'T IT?!

message 32: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Baeringer (goodreadscomlabaeringer) | 24 comments Adored this book especially death as the narrator. It actually made me have a sympathetic view towards death himself. The book was a refreshing new breath of air when I thought every idea, plot, and character had been exhausted.

Alexis | 7 comments I'm currently rereading this book for the second time as a class project and I love it. Having the book written from Death's perspective puts a spin on the average "holocaust" book. Having Death as the narrator allows the story to jump to small side stories without taking away from the plot line or seeming out of place. Overall, I would recommend anyone to read this wonderful book.

message 34: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Lewis (kristilynn001) | 40 comments Sounds interesting. I need to add it to my TBR list.

Nikki (nikkismalls) | 4 comments I just read this, how apt!

I loved the narration, I felt like the author's style was quite beautiful at times and I had to reread passages occasionally to let it just sink in more. Also the little hand drawn illustrations was an adorable addition.

I think what I loved most about this book is how much it made me FEEL. My favorite books break my heart and this surely did many times, but kind of in my favorite way. Because I felt so connected to these characters, even the mother when she was driving me insane, that I was able to immerse myself really well.

message 36: by Tiago (new) - added it

Tiago Silva | 1 comments I am up to page 153. So far, I love the narrator and the author´s writing style but I am finding the book very slow-paced.

message 37: by Magda (new) - added it

Magda This is on my to read list..I like the thought of death being the narrator..

Cheri (amcheri) It was slower than I thought it would be but I loved just about every moment of it. And regularly wished Papa was mine.

Derek Such a brilliant, fantastic, and emotional read. Those last 60 pages or so were somewhat devastating, and I was finishing it up on a long plane trip. I hope to find more books with this kind of impact.

Cheri (amcheri) Derek wrote: "Such a brilliant, fantastic, and emotional read. Those last 60 pages or so were somewhat devastating, and I was finishing it up on a long plane trip. I hope to find more books with this kind of imp..."

Agreed! Have you read Code Name Verity?

Derek No I haven't read that, but thank you very much for the recommendation! I'm in the market for a new read at the moment.

message 42: by Magda (new) - added it

Magda Derek wrote: "Such a brilliant, fantastic, and emotional read. Those last 60 pages or so were somewhat devastating, and I was finishing it up on a long plane trip. I hope to find more books with this kind of imp..."

I'm looking forward to reading it.

Nikki (nikkismalls) | 4 comments Seconding the rec for code name verity. I've read it st least twice and it's one of my favorites

Marnie Abram | 3 comments The ending of this novel is one of the saddest and realest endings I've ever read. It's just so beautifully written. While I read this novel, I grew to love all the characters and they were so well-developed. The Book Thief also is one of the most thought-provoking and influential books I have ever read.