Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2015 Weekly checkins > 4/24 week 16

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hailey Magstadt (haileymag9) | 16 comments Hello fellow group members! I know I haven't posted much onto the group but I am the other admin Hailey. Ann is a little tied up this week so I thought I would update the group.

Can you believe it has already been 16 weeks?? What books did you read this week? How many have you read so far?

I started A Girl on a Train this week. I have read 11 books so far. I am finally past the busy season at work so I hope to catch up here soon.

message 2: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindalt) | 99 comments This week I finished Wonder for book with a one-word title. I have also been reading One More Thing:Stories and Other Stories for book of short stories, which I am almost finished with and I started reading The Wizard of Oz tonight and may be using that toward the book from your childhood prompt!

So far I have finished 15 books and hope to finish at least 2 this week.

message 3: by Katherine (last edited Apr 27, 2015 12:00AM) (new)

Katherine (kiik) | 158 comments Thanks for creating the thread, Hailey!

This week, I completed Dorothy Must Die (magic) and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (funny). DMD is an interesting twist on The Wizard of Oz, and I look forward to reading more of the series. I appreciated the British humor in Hitchhiker's, but I didn't feel very drawn in throughout the story. It was very easy to put it down and forget about it, so it took me a few weeks to get through it. Guess it's just not my thing.

I think that's 17 books for me. I'm done with school, so I've been enjoying having the time to read more. Hoorah!

message 4: by Eva (new)

Eva (evasbooks) | 12 comments I finished two books this week: Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford and The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld.
At first I really enjoyed Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet (I read it for "a book with antonyms in the title"). I found the story very interesting and I was happy to learn something about this darker part of American history, since I've never really heard about it before. About halfway through, however, I got a bit annoyed with some of the characters and the inconsistencies really bothered me, so I ended up giving it 3 stars.
I read The Enchanted for the prompt "A book with magic". There are no wizards or spells but it is a beautiful book with magical realism which works just fine with me for this prompt. I absoultely loved it, especially the writing and would recommend it to anyone!
I am currently reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower but I've only read 10 pages so far. I took a break from reading the past couple of days.
I have also started listening to the audiobook of Lolita but I don't think I can do it. I find myself distracted all the time (although I usually like listening to audiobooks) and I had to start over three times already because I was not listening properly.. Maybe I'll pick up an actual copy because I have a feeling this might work better if I actually read it instead of listening to it.

message 5: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Rich | 30 comments I didn't read anything for the challenge this week btu I did realize that one of the books I read this year can be counted towards a prompt. THat is The Time of My Life by Cecelia Ahern. I used it to cross off the "book set in a different country" prompt. I have read 31 books for this challenge so far.

message 6: by Ray (new)

Ray Jordan Finished "The Spy who came in from the Cold" (thriller/ mystery), "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" (memoir) and "Daredevil: The Man without Fear" (based on the cover). Started "The House of the Seven Gables " (classic romance) yesterday.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann Thank you Hailey for updating the group! Sorry everyone for not being around too much this week. I recently started my own business and getting it up and off the ground has been kind of crazy. If anyone's interested look for my business on facebook and click the 'like' button. It's Pure Romance by Ann. This week I'm reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower I didn't finish it but I'm about 3/4 of the way through. I also worked on my horror/short story book The Best Horror of the Year, Volume Six.

message 8: by Juanita (last edited Apr 27, 2015 12:51PM) (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Hello all! I had a pretty productive week of reading last week.

I read Maus, II: And Here My Troubles Began for my graphic novel prompt. I'd read Maus, I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History a few weeks ago and decided to read the sequel to get more of the story (it's a biography told in graphic novel format). The two books together are offered as The Complete Maus. Since it only took me 3 hours to read each of the books, I'm counting it as a single prompt. ;-)

I also read Dept. of Speculation for "a book written by a female author." This was my book club pick for the month and I'm determined to slot it in for a challenge. For those who are looking, it would also work for "a book you can finish in one day." It's only 176 pages long and took me about 2 hours to read (the format is very small with the pages being about 4x5). I didn't care for the book but one of my friends absolutely loved it. To each, her own.

I then started reading Garth Stein's A Sudden Light.

I've read 24/50 books so far.

message 9: by Cate (new)

Cate (catelam) | 56 comments This week I've read The Girl on the Train for a book published this year and The Baron in the Trees, the second book in my trilogy.

I have now read 38 books, 14 to go!

message 10: by Julia (new)

Julia (_mj_howard) | 18 comments I,ve done a bit of reading this week, but nothing for the reading challenge so still 33/52. Will get back to the challenge next week.

message 11: by Megan (last edited Apr 28, 2015 05:43PM) (new)

Megan (megabou) | 64 comments This week I read The Girl on the Train for a book published this year and Four: A Divergent Story Collection for a book written by someone under 30. Up next on my reading list, I plan on reading The Help for a book a friend recommended and Girl, Interrupted for a book by an author you haven't read before. If I get these two books knocked out this week, then I should be back on track!

message 12: by Leah (new)

Leah | 30 comments I read Wild by Cheryl Strayed this week (at home) and am still working on Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman (at work break time read). Last night I started Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner. That brings my finished total to 28 books so far.

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth I read Stitches last week, which I will probably use for the one word title prompt. That brings my total to 19 books so far this year.

I got about halfway through both The Golden Compass and San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats too. Should finish both this week which will exceed my goal of 20 books by the end of April.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.