Stephen King Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Sometimes Dead Threads Come Back > June 2015 Nominations-A book King recommends

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris , The Hardcase (last edited Apr 26, 2015 08:46PM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1095 comments Mod
I'm going to get this one started a little early (or on time). I have a bunch of traveling in the next couple of weeks.

So for June we need books that Sai King has recommended to his Constant Readers. Please provide the source or blurb where King pushes your nominations...

message 2: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Hetzel | 469 comments Glad that we're getting started early for June, Chris. When you're in a few groups, any advance reading is appreciated!

I am going to recommend:

THE KILLER NEXT DOOR by Alex Marwood

It comes from the site: Aerogramme Writers' Studio
Books and Writing News : Stephen King's Reading List
22 Books Recommended via Twitter.
Marwood also wrote THE WICKED GIRLS.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul | 17 comments I second THE KILLER NEXT DOOR. It looks like a very interesting thriller.

message 4: by Jaro (new)

Jaro (aplaceofmarvels) | 44 comments I suggest this one: THE BORDER by Robert McCammon. Released in time for June. Subterranean Press writes:

Know this about Stephen King: He is unfailingly generous and supportive, and we're always grateful to him for it.

This morning, he tweeted about Robert McCammon's new horror/sf epic, The Border:
Rip-roaring, old school SF. Mean aliens, heroic earthlings. Subterranean Press. Late May. I dug it.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Breed by Chase Novak
#6 on this list: http://www.ew.com/article/2012/12/21/...

message 6: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 277 comments I second The Border!

message 7: by Cody (new)

Cody Vaters | 118 comments Natchez Burning, by Greg Iles, even though I'm reading it now. On my phone app atm so I can't link the blurb... But it's on the front cover of both the trade and mass market editions :)

message 9: by Kandice (new)

message 10: by Travis (last edited Apr 29, 2015 06:51AM) (new)

Travis | 56 comments Jaro wrote: "I suggest this one: THE BORDER by Robert McCammon. Released in time for June. Subterranean Press writes:

Know this about Stephen King: He is unfailingly generous and supportive, and we're always g..."

I'll second The Border. Swan Song was awesome and very reminiscent of The Stand.

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) There's no need to second the nominations - they are all going on to the poll to be voted on, and seconding has no bearing on which book will be selected.

Please go ahead and nominate a book that King has recommended that you'd be interested in reading.

message 12: by David (new)

David O'Neal | 19 comments Last Night in Twisted River, John Irving
It starts with the accidental killing of a Native American woman (the youngster who brains her with a skillet mistakes her for a bear). Father and son take off, pursued by the relentless Constable Carl for nearly 50 years. There?s a lot of Canada here, a lot of cookin?, and a lot of gorgeous (and cynical) Americana. Irving?s best since Garp.

Published by Stephen King

message 13: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Russell | 4 comments Just joined and would like to recommend two books by Benjamin Perry - Red Moon and The Dead Lands- both praised by Stephen King- met Mr Perry last week at literary festival and enjoyed his book reading.

message 14: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Russell | 4 comments Need to make a correction- it's Benjamin Percy NOT Perry- here's blurb for Red Moon:

"A werewolf epic. I can't stop thinking about it."
Stephen King

message 15: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Russell | 4 comments And here's the blurb for The Dead Lands:

"Benjamin Percy's THE DEAD LANDS is a case of wonderful writing and compulsive reading. You will not come across a finer work of sustained imagination this year. Good God, what a tale. Don't miss it."—

Stephen King

message 16: by Steven (new)

Steven Maurer | 9 comments Broken Promise A Thriller by Linwood Barclay by Linwood Barclay. Taken from Kings page on fantastic fiction. Looks a good read

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Charlotte, welcome to the group. I see that Chris forgot to mention it, but we only allow one nomination per member. Can you please choose the one that you would like to nominate?

message 18: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Russell | 4 comments Sorry about that- will nominate The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy

message 19: by Travis (new)

Travis | 56 comments There's also a giveaway currently for Broken Promise A Thriller by Linwood Barclay .

message 20: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 220 comments I'll nominate Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce. It's from the same list Becky posted in message 5.

message 21: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Becky wrote: "Charlotte, welcome to the group. I see that Chris forgot to mention it, but we only allow one nomination per member. Can you please choose the one that you would like to nominate?"

Because Chris is an idiot..

Oh, wait.

message 22: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3915 comments Chris wrote: "Oh, wait."

We're waiting...;-}

message 23: by Chris , The Hardcase (last edited May 03, 2015 08:29AM) (new)

The poll is up: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

I included those listed here, except for Broken Promise. It looks like that one won't be released until July, and this poll is for a June read.

I did hesitate with Natchez Burning because it's fourth in a series, but it's also first in its own series. So I let it go; just keep that in mind when voting.

Oh, and I included The Marauders, from Martha's list as my own nomination. The Elmore Leonard comparison won me.

message 24: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Escaravage | 5 comments The Mauraders!! Perhaps I'm one of the special ones who vote for the underdogs.

message 25: by Meliss (new)

Meliss (lossm) | 13 comments The Killer Next Door

message 26: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Nominations are closed now. See message 23.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.