Anglicans discussion

Anglican Talk > The Bible and Book of Common Prayer

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen L. (last edited May 02, 2008 08:37AM) (new)

Karen L. Re: Morning devotions & Bible Study.
I used to read a chapter or two of the bible each morning and pray for my family and friends. Some times I would get off track and not do that for a while and then would have what I call a "Bible Binge" time where I would read a whole book to catch up. I really struggled with self discipline. My husband, Jim and current Pastor (Fr. John) encouraged me to do the morning office/morning prayer from the Book of Common Prayer. It has so-o-o helped me. I use the 1979 BOCP, just because that is what is in our church pews and on our book shelf. I do like the 1928 version and have looked at the 1600 (?) version online- it's cool. I love the collects. If we mean what we pray, WOW! They are wonderful to meditate on.

I use the RSV Bible and the NIV Student Bible for study and devotions. I use the "Lord's Prayer," as a guide for praying, going line by line adding personal requests along the way. My husband,eldest daughter and I attend a weekly Wednesday Bible study where we study the Lectionary readings for the upcoming Sunday sermon. We have soup supper around the church kitchen table and then read and discuss the bible readings.

What do others do in their faith journey? Anyone else have a story?

message 2: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments I'm a King James freak myself. I will refer to the NIV or NAB if I have any trouble with clarity but, for the most part, I enjoy the KJV. I'm not much for reading devotionals, in general, but I like the idea of using the Book of Common Prayer. I could benefit from the structure.

There was a time when I read one section from St. Augustine's Confessions each day and contemplated on that for my devotional time.

The only "devotional" type book I have ever read and really enjoyed and felt I have benefited from is a book called (I believe) "The One Year Book of Poetry" (?). It has selections from classic Christian poetry with devotions, one for each day.

To be honest, with a 4 year old and a 22 month old, I've pretty much allowed my devotional time to slip away.

message 3: by Ted (new)

Ted Rohe (vangelicmonk) | 7 comments I use a variety of ways,tools and resources for my (quiet time, Bible study, devotional). However, primarily and consistently I have been going through a book called "On Living Simply" that is various readings of sermons by John Chrysostom. It has made me think a lot and drove me to the scriptures to find references to the subjects he touches upon. Good stuff.

I've been doing an indepth inductive study of Colossians (it seems forever) and I just started a personal systematic study on the subject of the Perspecuity of Scripture.

message 4: by James (new)

James | 46 comments Colossians is cool! I am reading Cost of Discipleship and i find it very rewarding. I find it most rewarding when i take my time and take notes. Wonderful insights into the reality of Christ. I try and pray through some Psalms before i go to bed. I am not very strict in either disciplines, but i will keep at it. I really want to get a common book of prayer. A friend of mine had one and i didn't get a chance to look through it. And tha poetry book sounds cool. Can you get the name and editor of it?

On another note I was actually born Greek Orthodox so i am familiar with John Chrysostom. The Greek Ortho church is pretty cool in their worship. I love their Easter service which i try and go to every year. Be blessed brother and sisters and struggle hard.

message 5: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments Here's the poetry book on Good Reads--

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/93...

message 6: by Karen L. (last edited May 01, 2008 04:40PM) (new)

Karen L. James or anyone else wanting to access the Book of Common prayer. You can find the Book of Common Prayer on line. Here is a link to morning and evening prayer and more Anglican devotion helps http://www.missionstclare.com I do extemporaneous prayer too, but find the B.O.C.P so helpful. My best prayer times are while I'm doing the dishes. I pray for all of you. :)

Wow James, Greek Orthodox. I am so fascinated by their beautiful worship.

message 7: by Poppy (new)

Poppy I checked out The One Year Book of Poetry and when I saw that they had George Herbert, John Donne, and William Blake, I had to buy it. Especially because Amazon had brand new copies for $4.00 and change.

Anything to kick-start something approaching daily devotions, because I have never developed the habit.

(Poppy disappears down a shame spiral.)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Reading poetry is a great preparation for lectio divina. It teaches you to slow down and savor the text and to look for meaning. As a society we are so inundated with words it becomes second nature to us to skim.

Enjoy your poetry!

message 9: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. R.R., those are wise words to "savor the text and look for meaning."

Skylar has some beautiful poetry on goodreads.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, she does. I especially liked "Imprint."

Skylar: Thanks for sharing your work.

message 11: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments Thanks!

Poppy, I'm pretty bad at the daily devotion habit to. The One Year Book of Poetry was one of the few years I did it consistently! It really does have some quality selections, and the reflections on the poems aren't dumbed-down. I remember picking it up in a used bookstore for $3.

message 12: by Poppy (new)

Poppy Thanks, Skylar. I feel better. I ordered it from a third-party seller on the Amazon site, so it won't be here right away, but I look forward to it showing up.

Speaking of booksellers, I tried again to pick up a real copy of Heretics today, and failed again. This time i tried to get it at the bookstore in the basement of Holy Name Cathedral (RC) in Chicago, but they're undergoing renovations and the bookstore is closed.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

So I'm continuing to plug away with it on-line.

message 13: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 134 comments Online reading is hard. I admit I've slowed down. I put it on hold at the library, and once it comes up, I'll rejoin the discussion.

message 14: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. I only got my library copy last week. Online reading is tiresome to the eyes. I've actually been reading a bit more lighter reading, since I've taken to spending a lot of time in in hospitals and doctors offices over the past few days. My hubby had hernia surgery. Chesterton takes a lot of concentration, which is difficult when reading in public.

message 15: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. I love this prayer. It helps me keep my priorities right.

The General Thanksgiving

Almighty God, Father of all mercies,
we thine unworthy servants
do give thee most humble and hearty thanks
for all thy goodness and loving-kindness
to us and to all men.
We bless thee for our creation, preservation,
and all the blessings of this life;
but above all for thine inestimable love
in the redemption of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ;
for the means of grace, and for the hope of glory.
And, we beseech thee,
give us that due sense of all thy mercies,
that our hearts may be unfaignedly thankful;
and that we show forth thy praise,
not only with our lips, but in our lives,
by giving up our selves to thy service,
and by walking before thee
in holiness and righteousness all our days;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
to whom, with thee and the Holy Spirit,
be all honor and glory, world without end. Amen.

message 16: by Karen L. (new)

Karen L. Here is a great web site that I found for educating children in their Anglican faith
http://orthodoxanglican.net/html/reso...