Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > A love worth having

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
This is a pretty new-to-me author and I love her stuff. Her people are good people already adults, struggling with real (if not everyday) problems, not just the need to grow up or learn to communicate, and her writing moves from earthy to really beautiful. Her writing is romantic in the best sense—because the heroes and heroines are people whose love is really worth having. Plus, I am a sucker for the first person.

“Hero”, I ask, turning him toward me as the NP moves discretely away to talk to an aide, “What do you need? Talk to me a little.”

He blows out another breath. “It’s just…” He lets go of my hand and grabs the nape of his neck. His eyes are brimming. “It’s just that she’s mine, you know? I get her, I know how to listen to her. Who will know her here? What if she’s scared? I won’t be here to know if she’s scared.

“She’s still just—a kid. I know that’s not really true, but she is. I never wanted her not to be with family. Alone. And I think I won’t know how to be without her. I thought I was ready, and I hate that more and more, I can’t—“ His tears are spilling now, and his voice is cracking. I can’t stop swallowing over my own sobs. “I hate that I can’t take care of her any more. I’m her big brother, heroine. Fuck. Just fuck this. Just fuck this.”

All of his own fear to bear, and he’s ready to shoulder [sister’s] too.

When I reach up to hold him, I’m afraid he’ll resist, but he is nearly boneless against me, in that way he has, and he rests his face against my neck even though he must know he looks ridiculous, nearly bent in half to let my petite frame
embrace him.

“Heroine?” His lips move against my neck.

“Yeah.”

“Other than it’s Wednesday, I can’t think of a worse time to tell you this—“

“What?” I pull back, and he takes my hands.

“I love you. I couldn’t be more of a mess right now, but I can’t believe I haven’t told you because I have, for so long now, and it’s like I don’t have anything else to give you, anyway. Not time. Not my full attention. Not the kind of boyfriend you deserve. But my heart, such as it is, you do have that.”

I am struck by my previous reluctance for regret, as if regret were the worst possible consequence of living. If I never wanted orchids, well, I never wanted daisies, either, common and sturdy.

To have the love of this man, who knows what it is to sacrifice his life for love, I would have waited longer.

message 2: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 320 comments No idea whatever....

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1275 comments You have definitely thrown me. I can't tell if it's a historical or a contemporary?

message 4: by Missy (new)

Missy (dustigal) | 8 comments Sounds like a romance from Penelope Ward, or Brenda Kennedy, or Katherine Owens.....but not totally sure on that.

message 5: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2088 comments Mod
I think I've read this one.
NA?

message 6: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
Nope not NA

message 7: by Okie (new)

Sounds familiar. I'm gonna keep thinking on it.

message 8: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments Wow. No idea but I'm definitely interested.

message 9: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1916 comments Mod
I have an idea as to the author. But no idea about the title.

message 10: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I wasn't as blown away by this story line as some readers were, but I was--and am--impressed by the writing. I love lines like the regret paragraph particularly.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan (shaydock) | 706 comments This book looks like this author has a good story to share need to read.

message 12: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2093 comments Mod
This is Story Guy by Mary Ann Rivers. It's a contemporary.

message 13: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy (staceyissassy) | 1275 comments I'm a shocker. I've read it and loved it :-)

message 14: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1916 comments Mod
I guessed the right author for once. Gonna have to check this out.

message 15: by Okie (new)

I was completely off. I'm adding it to my tbr pile.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan (shaydock) | 706 comments Good choice