Valar Morghulis--Valar Dohaeris discussion

Game of Thrones (TV series) > Season Five, Episode Three: Reactions (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments The High Sparrow....

What did you think?

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 173 comments Loved episode 3. Really like the direction of the story lines. The only thing I didn't like was not having Cersei's inner monologue like the books.

message 3: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments You could almost see it on her face though, eh? lol

message 4: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Here's an interesting article where the writers tell why they changed up Sansa's story: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/26/...

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 173 comments I just wonder why Cersei sent the letter to Littlefinger and what were its contents.

message 6: by mark (last edited Apr 27, 2015 12:28AM) (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments I thought this was the best episode of the three so far. The new scenes (Margaery & Tommen, Margaery & Cersei too, I think) were a lot of fun. the actresses playing Margaery and Cersei are fantastic and I could watch a whole show with just those two toying with each other.

Stannis had some great moments. his first reaction to Jon's decline, that line about "whoever said that must not have had many enemies", and then his bro-nod to Jon after the beheading. few things make Stannis more happy than a solid execution.

Brienne & Pod, aww. nice scene.

I love Arya yelling "cunt!" And the Janos Slynt death. Yay!

Nice contrast between the mishandled beheading of last week and the well-handled one of this week, such different reactions from those watching. I've always seen Dany and Jon Snow as parallel characters with both of their stories being about two decent people who are trying to be good leaders in different ways, and sometimes failing.

but I was NOT a fan of the lack of logic in Sansa marrying Ramsay. the show's writers needed to have Littlefinger sell that better. because how does that even make sense as far as Sansa is concerned? She is just letting Littlefinger manipulate her some more and I really want her character to have some agency. She was safe in the Vale and had people who supported her. now she's stuck with the Boltons with no allies in that castle? (besides maybe Theon. oh, and servant woman!) How is she going to get revenge in that situation? she is just going to get tormented again and I really don't want to watch that shit.

but anyway, besides that I loved the episode.

last week I thought Thorne will be replacing Bowen Marsh, at least in relation to Bowen & Jon's story. now I think it has to be the little kid (steward in training?) whose parents were killed by wildlings.

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 173 comments Manipulation - that's what the Game of Thrones is all about.

message 8: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 248 comments Thanks for that aritcle Chris. Much better insight than the GOT special issue EW put out a few months ago... :/

I was really expecting Littlefinger to give a more impassioned speech to Sansa. It fell short for me too Mark. I mean she is good at playing nice but he needs her to buy into his plan in a big way... And I feel like I wasn't convinced. Maybe they will have another convo next episode (probably). I need to rewatch as well. At the end of last season she seemed ready to "play the game"... But this episode left me feeling like she was getting played. Again. Grrr.

I missed Cersei's thoughts too. But getting to see the new views of Tommen and Margaery was cool. It shows that all Cersei's paranoia in the books wasn't really just paranoia. But, at the end of the day I really liked her desperate paranoia from the books. So I guess I'm torn on that one.

Anyone else just for a second think that Jon Snow wasn't going to kill Slynt? I waivered. Good acting to Kit and editing from the crew. Loved the nod of approval from Stannis. Badass.

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 173 comments Anybody else think Brienne and stanis might have a show down this season since their both likely to be at or around winterfell?

message 10: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments I sort of hope not because I can't imagine that would end well for Brienne.

message 11: by Remy (last edited Apr 28, 2015 06:18AM) (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 203 comments Anyone else imagined Volantis' bridge almost exactly like that? First Braavos, now Volantis. They're making an excelent job with the new locations this season. Also, Winterfell being rebuilt. Can't wait to see it covered in snow, which I'm sure will happen soon.

What I'm noticing so far is that despite everything that's been said, they seem to still be following the book's event pretty faithfully, with the main changes being pretty logic and reasonable ones. Jon beheading Janos, Jorah kidnapping Tyrion...

Although I'm a bit confused too about Littlefinger's move and Sansa's part in it. Roose seemed a bit suspicious, he doesn't seem to fully trust Baelish, but still... I would have thought he would be even more suspicious about it all. Specially towards Sansa. He can't actually be stupid enough to think Sansa has forgotten how he killed her brother and mother, can he? And Littlefinger wouldn't really expect him to. So, what are they actually playing at? What's behing that marriage? I can't stop thinking there's more than what this episode revealed, otherwise it wouldn't make a lot of sense, right? But I guess we'll see.

Some other details worth mentioning:
- Creepy House of Black & White.
- Tommen, you lucky bastard.
- "I wish we had some wine for you, it's a bit early in the day for us"... Oooohhhh snap!
- For a moment I almost thought Arya was gonna throw Needle in the water... nice acting, Maisie.
- Cersei thinks she's making a strong alliance with the Faith, doesn't she? Ohh, Cersei... keep digging your own grave.
- I admit I rewind a bit to watch Janos' beheading again, it was really satisfactory.
- That twitch from Gregor's body and Qyburn shushing it... creepy!
- Ramsay promising to never hurt Sansa... yeah, right!
- "It's even better luck to suck a dwarve's cock" XD

Oh! Something else... Anyone watches Arrow? Have you noticed the actress that plays Tatsu as the red priest in Volantis? I doubt such a recognizable actress (kind of) would play just an extra... So maybe she'll have some important part later in the story? Maybe she's replacing the priest that ends up sailing with Victarion? (I can't remember his name). I don't know.

PS: Sorry for the long comment... I had a lot on my mind after this awesome episode.

message 12: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Watched every " not so important" actor in this episode, especially Ramsey' s little girlfriends, they were none too happy at the arrival of Sansa Stsrk, there's a pile of hatred there waiting to explode, he may not touch her but THEY may be the ones to try to tare her to shreads! This change in the storyline really moves things along.
I'm looking forward to seeing the Brienne / Stannis joust if ever it happens. Will Brienne have to deal with the Red Woman first? That would be EPIC!
the ' sparrows' could be very dangerous, judges and jury to Cerci so that may lead to her actual walk of shame, the priestess who stares at Tyrion, obviously knows who he is, and will send word to someone of his whereabouts. Arya isnt ready to let go of herself, we all know that, her education has been abbreviated for the T V audience, in a timely manner.
Jumping ahead in Tommen and Margery's story was " interesting" skipping all the side stories so far that cover about 250 to 350 pages.
Can't wait for next week.

message 13: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) The showrunners do not have any sound reason at all on why they changed Sansa's story. Basically they married her to Ramsay (of all people) just because they think her POV is lame/boring/not interesting for TV (I mean, who cares about Vale politics and LF machination and Sansa's own tutelage) and that they think Sophie is a cool underutilised actress. I am not sold at all. I fear we will watch horrible stuff later, as Iwan Rheon has told us in one of his interviews.

message 14: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Forgot to say that it is probably why George released the Alayne chapter before the episode is aired.

message 15: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments Remy wrote: "Anyone else imagined Volantis' bridge almost exactly like that? .."

yes! I loved that shot. I want more!

- I admit I rewind a bit to watch Janos' beheading again, it was really satisfactory.

you are not the only one who did that.

message 16: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 248 comments Eyehavenofilter wrote: "Watched every " not so important" actor in this episode, especially Ramsey' s little girlfriends, they were none too happy at the arrival of Sansa Stsrk, there's a pile of hatred there waiting to ..."

I was wondering who those girls were.... At first I thought they might be the women "singers" from the books (view spoiler). You are totally right though because I recognized at least one of them.

message 17: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 173 comments It's a great move for Littlefinger to arrange the marriage of Sansa and Ramsey. In the show he has the Vale locked up so he doesn't need to marry Sansa to Harrold like he does in the books where he has more opposition. Also Littlefinger doesn't have Jayne Poole in his brothels like he does in the books. Makes perfect sense to me. So TV Littlefinger will have major influence in Kings Landing through Cersei, High Garden through the Queen of Thrones, The Errie through his marriage to Lysa and now the North through the Bolton's. Looks like a great plan to me. Still don't know what his endgame is through.

message 18: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 203 comments We're talking about the guy who coming from nothing managed to be one of the most influential and powerful men in Westeros, who with the right words whispered here and there provoked the War of the Five Kings, who now owns two of the most impregnable castles in the continent without paying anything or leading a combat for them, and has influence or dominion over two of the seven kingdoms, and over the apparent heir to another one.

I don't think he's just "gambling" like he told Roose Bolton. I think Littlefinger knows exactly what he's doing.

message 19: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Littletwistedfinger has had long range plans, since he didn't get what he wanted long ago from Catlyn. He has been setting things in motion for decades, and been able to adapt to the ever changing sub plots of others, that's the one thing he has in common with Varys. Where it will all lead is anyone's guess, are they working together or at cross purposes? I don't think they even know, since they don't trust each other.
It will be interesting to see where the books and TV show end up.
I'm becoming more and more intrigued with each episode.
I'm finding Sansa a much more interesting character, and Arya more predictable. I fear that as soon as Pod has found his mentor, he will be dispatched with, post haste, Martin has a habit of doing away with our most beloved , and devoted innocents.Party on friends!

message 20: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 203 comments I fucking love the character of Littlefinger. I mean, he's an asshole that only cares for himself, but as a character he's really interesting.

I don't think his interests agree with those of Varys. He seeks power for himself, Varys wants to bring back the Targaryens, and I think the return of the Targaryens would ruin what LF has accomplished so far.

message 21: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments P.S. Thanks again Chris...

message 22: by Maureen (last edited Apr 30, 2015 09:32AM) (new)

Maureen | 248 comments Ok, maybe this is crazy but: Are there any theories about greyscale? And if so is there a place where I could read about them? I mean from the books I was just thinking it was one of GRRMs intricate details with Shireen and Connington but now in the show I feel like it is more prevalent. Shireen and her life with it has been showcased several times and now Tyrion said something in this last episode... I don't know. Something I thought about when I couldn't sleep last night! I guess it could be just setting up for (view spoiler) . But that could be cut out since he is physically past that, right? I can't help but think the details they present now in the show MUST have signifigance since they are going forward with new material. It's ok to tell me I'm nuts.

message 23: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 203 comments Maureen wrote: "Ok, maybe this is crazy but: Are there any theories about greyscale? And if so is there a place where I could read about them? I mean from the books I was just thinking it was one of GRRMs intricat..."

I guess when you said Myrcella you meant Shireen, right?

I always thought greyscale would have some importance later on. The wildlings are madly scared of it, and if I'm remembering correctly, Val, who seems like a well centered person for a wildling, tells Jon it doesn't have a cure and that Shireen is doomed.

(view spoiler)

But... yeah. I don't know if there are specific theories about greyscale but I'm convinced there's more to it than we know now.

message 24: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 248 comments Remy wrote: "Maureen wrote: "Ok, maybe this is crazy but: Are there any theories about greyscale? And if so is there a place where I could read about them? I mean from the books I was just thinking it was one o..."

Yes, getting my girl names mixed up. Ok, glad I'm not the only one. I remember in the books about Val being so scared of it as well.(view spoiler)

message 25: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Shireen is my favorite child character aside from Arya so I will be so sad if George/D&D kills her.

message 26: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments same here.

message 27: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments I'm scared that now Pod has a purpose he's doomed...

message 28: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 173 comments Valar Morghulis

I expect a lot more characters to die in the show/books.

message 29: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Scott wrote: "Valar Morghulis

I expect a lot more characters to die in the show/books."

What makes you say that?

message 30: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 203 comments Ha! Nice.

Nobody is safe.

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments I'm with @Silvana. As far as Sansa goes, it just feels like I'm being cheated if what was originally planned for her story. I understand and almost agree with the whys but only from a writer/ producer perspective. As a fan I'm very Leary and skeptical.

On a positive note, Sansa's character had such confidence now when mingling amongst the folk. Has anyone else noticed this transformation? It's small. But compared to season 1 she's a different person. She used to sit do timid and quietly daydream. Now she walks tall. She looked the Boltons in the eye. That's pretty major IMO. For that, I applaud the show peeps.

message 32: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 173 comments I think book Sansa had a big change after her father died but I don't it came through as much on the show because we didn't have her inner monologue. Maybe it's been gradual in the books but she's be slowly learning to lie and wear a 'mask'.

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments I haven't really noticed any of thus in the books. I'm sure that's mostly due to only having access to inner monologue which is still lacking in the confidence department. I don't think I had any inkling she had remotely gained a grain of "street smart logic" until the end if the last book. She annoys the absolute piss out of me in the books. But that WAS starting to change. Hopefully she has some more umph and gusto in the next book.

message 34: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments Cante wait to see what happens/ or not this Sunday!