♛ⒹⒺⒸⒺⓅⓉⒾⓄⓃ♜ discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 136 (136 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

₪Daughter of the Rain and Snow₪ | 656 comments Mod
The weather was terrible. The past few days, the temperature had dropped drastically, the sky had been over cast, and wind and rain took turns tormenting anyone who had to be outside. This was precisely why two noblemen and a council member were talking in hushed tones on the lower deck while Jocelyn strained her ears to listen in on the terrace above.
She shivered as a breeze blew by, pulling her shawl more tightly around her and wincing when she flexed her still recovering hand. After a few deep breaths, she closed her eyes to refocus on the conversation below her.

message 3: by Isis (new)

Isis "Just leave me alone!" Hunter yelled back at her mother, though he doubted she could hear through her relentless screeching. He opened the terrace doors and walked out, knowing it was the one place she wouldn't follow. She would never allow the wind to ruin her hair, or the rain ruin her dress. And being out in the horrid weather for a while wouldn't be as bad as listening to her screech, so he was really choosing the lesser of two evil. At least, he thought so until he had closed the door behind him and he saw who else was on the terrace with him.
It had been a week since their ride together and he had done everything to get her off his mind. He had finally succeeded and now here she was again. He didn't say anything because she was obviously there listening to something. He just stared at her.

Jocelyn's head shot up when the terrace doors opened accompanied by yelling, and a severe expression fell on her face as she looked to see who had disrupted her and possibly the men below her. Her gaze was unwavering on Hunter, but she wasn't really seeing him; she was too busy trying to figure out if the men had been effected by Hunter's sudden entrance.
She let out a relieved breath when it seemed that they were unphased, continuing their discussion of a rather shady trade agreement that seemed to screw over everyone aside from the parties involved below the terrace.
Focusing briefly on Hunter, she held a finger to her lips for silence even though he hadn't said anything yet. Jocelyn could tell the conversation was nearing an end, but she couldn't afford to miss a single detail.

message 5: by Isis (new)

Isis Hunter stayed quiet as he was directed to do so. He just awkwardly stood by the doors with his hands still on the handles which he had used to close them. He knew what she was doing and he was not going to be the one to ruin it and get the girl into trouble with Whitaker. Plus, he could already hear that whatever was being planned was not going to be a good thing for anyone involved. If Jocelyn could get out of trouble and put a stop to the plan, then he was most definitely not going to try and stop her.

From what it sounded like, the agreement was going to go through in about two weeks, which would leave the Baron plenty of time to do with them whatever he liked. Knowing him, though, he all he would probably do with it would be blackmail, or he might even try to get in on the deal. The men below started to part ways, making off hand comments about their wives and other women in court as they went before their voices were gone, signalling that they had gone inside.
Sighing, Jocelyn brushed the hair out of her face, which only worked for a few moments before the wind blew it back. "Hello again," she said, finally addressing Hunter.

message 7: by Isis (new)

Isis Hunter nodded to her. "Hello. Sorry for barging in, that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to get away and I assumed no one would be out in this weather." He didn't know what else to say. Last time he had seen her he had left her with an awkward kiss to her head. They never planned to run into one another. He only hoped that she wouldn't be upset about his dropping in on her snooping, because he really hadn't meant it. "Um, so," he shrugged his shoulders, "I would offer to leave you alone but I'm not going back in just yet. She'll still be waiting."

"No harm done," she assured him. Jocelyn could see why no one would want to be outside; even though the rain was holding off, there was a heavy fog and it looked like the clouds would open up again soon.
She could see some of Hunter's awkwardness peeking through now, and she wondered if he was acting strange over that kiss. Jocelyn had forced herself to get over it. That entire day had been a bit of an anomaly... "So you're hiding from someone then? I can leave if you want, I'm done here anyway," Jocelyn offered, though she had to admit she was a little curious as to who she was.

message 9: by Isis (new)

Isis "I'm a grown man hiding from my mother, if you must know. Her voice irritates me and she just follows me around with her horrible parrot squawk," Hunter replied, "But it's up to you if you go or stay. I definitely will not ask you to stay out in this weather because I'm sure it will be absolutely terrible again in no time." He sighed softly and turned his eyes out toward the dark clouds that seemed to be covering the entire sky at this point. It really couldn't be described as anything other than gloomy. The whole palace was feeling it.

Jocelyn raised her eyebrows at the description of his mother. A horrible parrot squawk? That hardly sounded flattering, and she doubted it was supposed to be. Jocelyn screwed her lips to the side, wondering which would be better, going inside to warm up and talk to the Baron, or stay out in the cold, wet air and spend time with Hunter. It had been awhile since she had seen him, but she was too prideful to say that she had missed him. Instead, she skirted around commenting her choice in the matter all together. "You would rather stay out here than risk being around your mother?"

message 11: by Isis (new)

Isis "Yes. She only wants to acknowledge my existence when she wants something from me and I'm not interested in what she's offering. So, I'm just going to avoid her until she goes away and then I'm going to repeat that process until she goes away for good. I realize this isn't a good way to build a relationship, but it's a little too late for that anyway," Hunter said, giving her just the slightest bit of a smile.
"So tell me you're going to try and break up that plan somehow," Hunter said motioning over the terrace as if toward the two who had been talking. "I'm sure you could find some way to do it if you think it would be worth it."

"What could she want from you that's so bad that you have to run away from her?" Jocelyn asks curiously, though she didn't really expect him to give her an answer. If Hunter felt so strongly that he wouldn't even discuss it with his own mother, she doubted he would want to hash it out with her.
Jocelyn hesitated to reply. "There isn't a whole lot I can do. I only have some fake title and that doesn't exactly mean I can walk into a meeting full of middle aged men who actually have power and tell them to stop what their doing," she told him. This wouldn't be the first time Jocelyn overheard something that she wished she could change, but she had been young and a coward when she was first faced with the decision. She had been too scared to do anything about it, worried that the Baron would want nothing to do with her once she blew her cover and he would turn her and Cal over to the King. Now, though, she had come to terms that she was only the messenger.

message 13: by Isis (new)

Isis "It's not important," Hunter replied to her question, not really feeling like it was worth discussing at the moment. Instead he turned to what Jocelyn was saying. "You would be surprised what a young woman could do to a group of middle aged men just by walking into a room." He chuckled softly. "But I understand. Telling them to stop would be useless and it wouldn't stop them, only blow your cover. You'll just have to keep listening and find another way. I'm sure there will be messages you can intercept at the very least, plans that could get lost, you know what I mean. There is more than just telling someone to stop. If you're going to be a spy you really ought to play more than just the messenger."

Jocelyn shot him a look that told him she was being serious as she readjusted her shawl, keeping her left hand tucked under it and close to her body. "I've never liked directly sticking my hands into this stuff. Sure breaking into offices and desks is easy, looking through documents is a piece of cake if you understand what you're reading, but I've never stolen plans or switched files to sabotage anything myself. It can get way too complicated, so I just do what I need to and get out," she told him. Jocelyn had never had to steal anything anyway. Whitaker refused to take any physical evidence for sources of blackmail, not wanting anything to be traced back to him if someone decided to go through his things and found something that didn't belong.

message 15: by Isis (new)

Isis Hunter shot her a look right back, telling her he was just as serious. "I think, if you're trapped here anyway, you should try and make yourself useful to some other purpose than what Whitaker has in mind. You could be doing great things because you have obvious skill," he told her, "But if you really think you're unable..." He shrugged his shoulders then walked to the edge of the terrace. He looked over and off into the distance. He didn't understand her, still. He had tried, really, but he was starting to realize it was never going to happen. She was a contradiction.

message 16: by ₪Daughter of the Rain and Snow₪ (last edited Apr 29, 2015 05:04PM) (new)

Jocelyn chewed thoughtfully on her lower lip as she leaned back against the concrete railing, watching Hunter. She had worked the system before, she had done it for years. Working around the king's taxes, sneaking onto supply wagons and switching around orders so the people who actually needed it got more. But that had been easy enough for a ten year old to pull off.
Hunter seemed to think that this was all easy too, but what did he know? He was hardly involved in politics and here he was telling her to meddle with the plans of some fairly powerful men. Still, his confidence in her seemed to push her forward. "You think it could work?" she asked quietly.

message 17: by Isis (new)

Isis "I know it could work," Hunter said, "You just need to have the right skill and the right amount of invisibility. I'm not on your level but I have done my share of screwing things up for other people. I work for the court and my life is boring, so I've meddled just to get a laugh. It's not that hard when everyone around you is an idiot. Still, no one even knows my name, so I would call it successful." He heard how quiet her voice had gone, but he chose not to dwell on it. She was probably just humoring him.

"Right..." Jocelyn sighed, a little frustrated with herself that the wheels were already starting to turn in her head. She had promised herself that she would do whatever it took to survive this place and she was doing that. She didn't need to do this to keep her head on her shoulders and yet with Hunter's reassurance, she was trying to figure out the time frame. She would still have to use this information with the Baron otherwise she would more than likely end up with two temporarily useless hands and Jocelyn decided that wasn't going to be an option. She would give him the details tonight and leave him five days, maybe a week, to do some threatening, then Jocelyn would start seeing just how many things could go missing until two weeks was up...

message 19: by Isis (new)

Isis Hunter glanced back at her and raised an eyebrow when she sighed, but said nothing. He could see the wheels turning in her eyes alone. She looked like she was deep in though, planning. He hadn't expected that his words would actually have an impact on her, though he supposed she could just be plotting his death at this point. He knew he could be obnoxious and she had gone awfully quiet. He looked to the edge of the terrace again then stepped away from it just a little, just in case.

Jocelyn came out of her head when she saw him move out of the corner of her eye and a slow smile curled her lips as she unknowingly turned to the same conclusion Hunter had. No longer wanting to think about political sabotage, she nonchalantly commended him, "That was probably a good move. If you don't end up telling me why you're really hiding from mommy dearest, I might just get impatient enough to push you right over the railing. And this weather isn't exactly improving my mood, so I suggest you speak up."

message 21: by Isis (new)

Isis "Oh please," Hunter rolled his eyes, "I could definitely get the upper hand now that I know about your plan. I'm bigger than you and I'm stronger than you. I could push you over the edge with one finger. So, just to clarify, you're not going to be hearing anything, and you're never to call her mommy dearest again. She is the furthest thing from a mommy or a dear, I assure you." He crossed his arms over his chest now and smirked. "I know you like secrets, but I'm keeping mine."

Jocelyn narrowed her gaze at him. Of course he would be able to foil her threat. "Come on, you know most of my secrets. Hell, you even know what my face looks like. The biggest secret I know about you is that you have some fear of bare feet, and I doubt that's even a secret," she pouted, crossing her arms at him, though it really only looked like twisting under the fabric of her shawl. "And you could not push me over the edge with one finger," she added, as if the mere thought of it offended her.

message 23: by Isis (new)

Isis "I could so push you over with one finger. You're light as a feather. You would fall real slow too, because you're not heavy enough to drop," Hunter laughed. It took him a moment to sober up, but he did, sort of. He kept a smirk on her face. "Alright. I'll give you a choice. You can either know why I hate bare feet, or you can know what my mother is nagging me about. You will never get to know about the other though, so choose wisely." He raised an eyebrow. He figured she would choose the story of his mother, but he figured he would give it a shot.

Jocelyn glared at him, blowing the hair out of her eyes with a short huff. She wasn't that light. For a moment, she pretended to ponder her options. "Well, I would really like to know why you hate bare feet so much, considering you act like it's a sin, but the thing with your mother seems to be a much more pressing issue, so I think I'll have to go for the gossip," Jocelyn concluded. "Besides, I'm sure I'll hear all about your loathing of feet sooner or later. We've already established that I have you wrapped around my finger."

message 25: by Isis (new)

Isis Hunter rolled his eyes, "You're going to have to save my life, or something to the same degree of importance, in order to hear that secret. And, since that will never happen, you have forfeited your ability to ever learn of it. Silly mistake, since you could have just found out the gossip from around the palace." He shrugged, "Your choice though."
"Alright, so, my mother," Hunter began and then sighed, his mood already darkening again just a little bit. "She wants me to sell my cottage to her lover, or at least I assume that is who he is. She wants me to move back into the palace, get rid of my dog, and be miserable. She says she will find me a higher position in the court if I do her this favor. It told her no. That cottage is the only thing that I have ever bought with my own money and it's mine. Just because she's a whore doesn't mean I owe her anything."

message 26: by Isis (new)

Isis ((probably going to disappear for a few hours))

((Alright!))

Jocelyn just looked at him, totally unconvinced that he would ever hold true to his word on that. She could see the almost physical transformation of him as he told her about his disagreement with his mother; Hunter's face seemed to reflect the dreary sky almost perfectly. The woman was completely in the wrong in asking such a thing of her son and she knew that no matter how much bribing she did, he would never give in. That dog was the only thing he loved, and he would never dare move back into a place that he hates so much. "So you're just going to keep out of her way until she gives up? That works?" she asked, uncertain. The woman already sounded like she had loose morals, so Jocelyn wouldn't be surprised if she had some ultimatum up her sleeve.

message 28: by Isis (new)

Isis ((Yeah that took way longer than expected. You're probably already long asleep.))

"Well it's going to be this way as long as it can be," Hunter said, "She's either going to give up or she's going to resort to more desperate measures. In either case, there really isn't anything that I can do about it. She'll either get what she wants in some crooked way or she'll give up. Quite frankly, her daughter is the queen and that means she generally gets what she wants, but I own that place one hundred percent and I'll fight her in any way I can." He sighed softly and shrugged his shoulders. "So, there you have it."

((Yeah you got back around 12:30 my time))

Jocelyn chewed on the inside of her cheek. She wondered how someone like that could ever become a mother; if she treats her children like that, why would she have them in the first place? It was unfortunate that Hunter didn't have many options and she hoped everything worked out for him, knowing that he would truly be miserable if he had to give up his home and his dog. But she was curious enough to ask, "Ever try blackmail?" His mother was already having an affair, someone like that could easily have skeletons in their closet that they don't want brought to light.

message 30: by Isis (new)

Isis "I would like to remind you that I'm a nobody and her daughter is the queen," Hunter said, "I could find that she was a serial murderer and no one would believe me, and if they did she could just get the queen to excuse it and cover it up. So no, it's not really an option. If it gets bad enough I'll just agree to her offer to marry me off to some girl in another kingdom, and I'll bring the dog with me." Of course, that last part was a joke but he didn't laugh, just smirk a bit.

She wished she could tell him that no one was untouchable, but as corrupt and flawed as this system, you technically could be if you had the right connections. "Marry you off, huh?" Jocelyn said in a mockingly thoughtful tone, making a mental note that he really wasn't already married, like he had joked before. "I don't think that works for me. You see it takes a lot of work to run into each other all the time if we're in different kingdoms. Besides, you would probably miss saving me too much."

message 32: by Isis (new)

Isis Hunter laughed a little bit, truly laughed. "You're right, I don't think I could handle being without the ability to save you all the time. Of course, you would miss much more than I would miss you. You planted yourself on this terrace just so that you could wait for me to arrive. Honey, if you're that desperate to see me, you can just ask me to lunch. I would say yes, you know." He once again smirked at her, but there was a hit to a real smile in it and his tone had once again grown light.

"Of course you couldn't, your hero complex can't get enough of me," Jocelyn said as if that particular characteristic was completely smitten with her. She rolled her eyes at the ridiculous notion that she would miss him more, even though she would be lying if she said she couldn't care less if one day he just left her life forever. "Yes, I decided to stand out here in the wind and the rain hoping that at some point today, you would come out to this remote part of a massive palace just so I could see you," she said flatly. "And you would only say yes to lunch so you would have someone to eat your strawberries."

((Gotta go to work))

message 34: by Isis (new)

Isis ((Have fun...if you can haha.))

Hunter nodded his head, "I just knew that that was your plan. I'm so glad that you're willing to admit it. Honestly though, you could have just waited inside. I don't like the idea of you freezing because me. There were plenty of suitable places that I probably would have come across quickly, but it's your decision I suppose." He walked a little closer to her. "And maybe I just want some company while I'm eating. Ever think of that?" He walked past her and to the doors. "Shall we go inside now?"

Jocelyn felt like her eyes couldn't stop rolling as Hunter talked. Oh, he must wish so desperately that I want him that bad, she thought sarcastically. "Regardless if you wanted company or not, I would still get your strawberries," she told him adamantly, looking up as he stepped closer before he walked straight past her. "If you think your mother is gone, then I think I'm ready to get thawed out," she agreed, following close behind him.

message 36: by Isis (new)

Isis Hunter opened up the door a bit and peaked inside. She was nowhere to be found so he sighed and opened up the doors. "Alright, you get in here and warm yourself up. Too bad this isn't my place or else I would just sit you down next to the fire. You'll just have to suffer though." He stuck his tongue out at her as he held open the door for her to walk inside.

((Going to the movies, will have to post later :/ ))

message 38: by Isis (new)

Isis ((Its all good, I'm leaving right now too haha))

The moment Hunter deemed it safe, Jocelyn ducked inside, elbowing him lightly in the ribs when he stuck his tongue out at her as she passed. "I'll be fine, thanks for the concern," she said scathingly as she was finally able to remove her shawl, draping it over one arm. "You're going to have to show me your cottage sometime, though," she informed him. Jocelyn was curious to see the place that Hunter called home. He had invited her to go whenever she needed help, but she felt she might enjoy the experience more if it were under lighter circumstances.

message 40: by Isis (new)

Isis Hunter shrugged his shoulders a little bit, "We can go whenever you like. As long as you're not going to bribe me out of living there, that is." He smiled at her gently then shrugged his shoulders a bit. "I've already told you that you can come by anytime, and I meant it. I'll even cook you a nice meal if you want to make it a planned visit. I'm not a fantastic cook but I can do the simple stuff. I could have strawberries very near at hand." He wasn't sure what he was getting into here, but he couldn't get his mouth to stop moving and spilling out words.

"Even if I ended up liking the place, it's not like I have anything to bribe you with," Jocelyn said lightly. As Hunter talked, she marveled at the thought that only a week ago, they had been pointedly avoiding each other and now he was offering to make her a meal in his home.
Shooting him a sideways glance, Jocelyn replied, "Well, I'm not sure if I'm all to excited to try your cooking, but if there are strawberries involved, I might have to take you up on that."

message 42: by Isis (new)

Isis Hunter put on a pout. "Oh come on. I'm not a horrible cook, I promise. I think you'll be thanking me by the end of the meal, begging me for more." His pout had disappeared by now and he was grinning all over again. "Seriously, would you be interested though? You just name the day and we'll call it a date. Oh, um, not like that. Unless you want it to be like that? I don't know. Just ignore me. You seriously make me act so awkward you would think I have never been around a normal human being before."

Jocelyn rolled her eyes at his confidence in his cooking skills and she was actually contemplating the idea of sharing a meal with him when he became totally, utterly flustered. She tilted her head to the side, eyes narrowed slightly as she scrutinized him. "Why is that, though? You obviously aren't intimidated by me considering the fact that you think it would be oh so easy to push me off the terrace, so what is it? Have you never met a strong woman before, or are you just so thrown by my beauty that you can't control yourself?" she asked, half joking half serious. She had been noticing it more recently, how he starts to speak quickly, then goes back on what he's saying. Like his mouth is working faster than his brain.

message 44: by Isis (new)

Isis Hunter shrugged his shoulders. "I have no idea. Honestly, I just do not know. Maybe it is because you're beautiful, or maybe because you're so stubborn that it's almost endearing. I have no real explanation though. It's just as if my brain can't function all the way. It's odd and I'm not so sure that I like it. Maybe I should just go ahead and push you over the terrace now so that it will stop. Yes, that sounds like a marvelous idea. Come on dear, we're going back outside for a moment, but don't worry, you won't suffer the cold long." He put his hand on the small of her back and directed her around back toward the door teasingly.

((Off to work.))

"I don't think so," Jocelyn said quickly, stepping away from him and giving him the evil eye. "And what do you mean almost endearing? Give me some credit here," she said as if she found his words highly offensive. He didn't seem to have trouble making complete thoughts when they were arguing all the time. Maybe he just doesn't know how to be polite with her. Either way, it was almost endearing that he couldn't seem to contain himself when he was around her.

message 46: by Isis (new)

Isis Hunter chuckled just a little bit, "I was so sure that was going to work, and everything," he snapped his fingers as if his huge plans had been spoiled. "Well, usually being stubborn is the farthest thing from being endearing so you're getting lucky that I find it any amount of endearing at all. Though, I suppose a better word for it would be cute. Yes, it's quite adorable that you get so worked up and refuse change your mind. Of course, I like this argument free version of us better, but we ought to debate every once in a while just so that I can see you get upset."

Jocelyn crossed her arms carefully as she looked at him almost defensively. "You might get to see that real soon if you call me being passionate about my beliefs adorable," she told him, raising an eyebrow under her mask. She enjoyed their arguments as well. It was one of the few times she got to speak her mind, not that she would give up the peace they seemed to have now for their old, constant fighting. Now it seemed most of their fights were about nothing, not allowing them to get worked up while somehow enjoying each other's company.

((Caught me just before I was about to turn in for the night. Talk to you tomorrow!))

message 48: by Isis (new)

Isis ((I'm surprised you were on at all haha. It's 11:30 here. Goodnight!))

Hunter reached out and pinched her cheek lightly, the bit that showed underneath the curve of her mask. "Awww, is little Jocelyn getting upset? Well isn't that the cutest thing in the world," he said as if he were talking to a baby instead of a grown woman. He laughed and only pulled back his hand when he was scared it would be bitten right off. He loved being able to tease her like this, it was a very mild version of their heated arguments. He still didn't have to watch his mouth around her, he got to have some fun, and he couldn't wipe the smile off of his face. It was a better situation that he could have imagined for them.

((I think you're about 2 hours behind me :) ))

Jocelyn wrinkled her nose and reached up to swat him away but he moved his hand just in time before she had the chance to make the grave mistake of smacking her bruised knuckles. Moving her hand was a nuisance, but hitting it against anything still created more than just a little discomfort. "I almost miss when you were calling me the most frustrating human being you'd ever met," she grumbled at him, his amusement clearly not contagious.

((I've got work, unfortunately, so I won't be on for a few hours ))

« previous 1 3