Ballet Books & Authors discussion

What do you look for in a ballet-themed book?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paddy (last edited Apr 26, 2015 01:46PM) (new)

Paddy Eger (paddyeger) | 14 comments Mod
For myself. I enjoy a story where the main character has obstacles to overcome in her career as well as in her day-to-day life. I appreciate authors sharing choreography ideas and music I can easily research via YouTube, Pinterest, or other visual social media sights.

message 2: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 17 comments I am keen to learn about ballet and the stresses on the persons involved.

message 3: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 17 comments Hi folks,

We do not have a thread for promotions.
So let me apologise for mentioning my own work in this thread. I'll only do it once.
Dining Out With The Gas Giants
Dining Out With The Gas Giants (Book 3) by Clare O'Beara

Paddy was kind enough to provide some background information on ballet, which features in this science fiction book, and I have credited her 84 Ribbons as part of my researches.
This is an unusual take on future life, showing that some things don't change.

message 4: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 17 comments Wildflower Hill
Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman

This tale shows a Scots-Australian girl who dances ballet in London. Now in her thirties, she is determined to hang on to her career - but an injury wrecks her prospects and she has to go home to the Australian sheep station. For how long? And how will her life be changed by what she finds there?

I like this as a family saga containing good characters and plenty of history and location detail.

message 5: by Paddy (new)

Clare wrote: "Hi folks,

So let me apologise for mentioning my own work in this thread. I'll only do it once.
[bookcover..."

Clare wrote: "[book:Wildflower Hill|10002296]
Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman

This tale shows a Scots-Australian girl who dances ballet in London. Now in her thirties, she is determined to hang on to her c..."

Clare wrote: "Hi folks,

I'm glad I could be of help to you.

[bookcover..."

I Love that book. It's on my keep shelf.

message 6: by Paddy (new)

Ballet seems to be a world-wide pleasure. I wonder if it is the music, the costumes, the dancers, the sets and the setting where the dance 'happens'.

What could we do without and still enjoy ballet as intensely?

message 7: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 17 comments Hi Paddy,

I have uploaded a photo. I hope this is okay. To me, ballet is a visual art to the extent that a picture can evoke it, just as music can in a different way.

Maybe some other members can upload unusual photos of ballet too.

message 8: by Paddy (new)

Love to have photos added.I have a considerable collection on my Pinterest site. The lovely lines created by a trained dancer is more than half the joy in watching a dancer perform.

message 9: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 17 comments The Night Shadow
by Chéri Vausé

The Night Shadow
The Night Shadow by Cheri Vause

Crime story involving ballerinas.

message 10: by Nora (new)

Nora Blue | 6 comments In a story with ballet in it or about ballet, I like accurate descriptions of technique and body mechanics, as the author shows the struggles all dancers go through as they do their best to improve. I like if descriptions of the social atmosphere and group politics are accurately portrayed.

message 11: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 17 comments These can certainly be found in Paddy's books. If you have not read them, Nora, they are good reads.

message 12: by Nora (new)

Nora Blue | 6 comments Hi! I'd like to recommend Pointe Magazine as a good resource for info about how dancers warm-up, teachers that inspire them, how they interpret a role and so on. I'm currently reading a whole smorgasbord of dance books. I'm attempting to write an essay on what a humanist can add to the concept of spirituality in dance. I say attempting advisedly. The topic is eel-like it its ability to slip out of your grasp.

message 13: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 17 comments So you are essaying an essay! Interesting topic.

message 14: by Nora (new)

Nora Blue | 6 comments Yep. Tee Hee