The History Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
HBC READATHONS 2018 - ON HOLD > NEXT READATHON COMING UP TODAY - OCTOBER 24TH - EVERYBODY IS WELCOME - MAKE SURE TO SIGN UP FIRST

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Oct 24, 2015 01:46AM) (new)

Bentley | 44200 comments Mod
This is an announcement thread for the next readathon which is coming up on October 24th - it is open to everyone globally wherever they are in the world - you use your date and your local time.

Some folks said that they did not get the broadcast messages - goodreads has had problems with this as well as successful event notifications being received. We send them out but we do not know if you receive them - we have no way of knowing. - that is controlled by Goodreads and their servers and may be influenced by how you have your profile set up.

We send out one event notification per upcoming book that is a full blown discussion with weekly threads; we send out one broadcast message for polls, buddy reads, and readathons. We do not like to bother folks so we use them sparingly.

Best thing to do is check in daily and see what is going on and/or shoot a PM to me if you are confused.

As far as the readathons - make sure you are signed up. Next time I will post a note on your sign up thread - only for those signed up already so make sure that you are. A broadcast message will be sent out but if you have problems better to check your readathon thread.

Bentley

PS: Thanks for all of the participation on this weekend's readathon - I thought folks did great. Remember to use the templates (smile).

You can start posting comments on message 14 for Readathon Five - today October 24th

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

You can post on this thread in advance of June 6th.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbl) | 407 comments My reading plan for this one is D-Day (June 6, 1944) and or personalities, events and subjects around June 6.

message 4: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) I need to clean up my "curently reading list" (which is clogged with books) so I plan to try and finish up some of them.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) I am going to try to read two books this time, since I will be on vacation for the August and October Readathons.

message 6: by Vicki, Assisting Moderator - Ancient Roman History (new)

Vicki Cline | 3833 comments Mod
This will be my first readathon, hoping to finish a couple of books I'm in the middle of.

message 7: by Douglass, HBC Admin/TL - Economics/Finance/Entrepreneurship (new)

Douglass Gaking | 550 comments Mod
I am planning to participate on June 6th. This will be my first one! I read the guidelines and FAQ thread, but not 100% sure I have it all figured out. Please let me know so I don't miss something,

I have some Ernest Hemingway books I picked up at the library. I finished one and have two more to go.

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway by Ernest Hemingway Ernest Hemingway
Across the River and into the Trees by Ernest Hemingway by Ernest Hemingway Ernest Hemingway

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

OK guys the readathon will begin on June 6th at 8AM.

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Vicki make sure that you are signed up for the readathon here first:

https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...

You will be signed up when you see your name and avatar on the list.

Any problems, let me know.

message 10: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Douglas I see that you are signed up for the readathon - so you are ready to go.

Just proceed to checkpoint one at 8AM.

message 11: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Michael, Samanta and Karen - we look forward to your participation.

message 12: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Start here in terms of discussing Readathon Four - August 22nd at 8AM.

message 13: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Oct 24, 2015 01:49AM) (new)

Folks everytime we do this we always find folks who want to participate but fail to join and set up their shelves properly so that they can get full credit:

You must join!

Very important:

How To Join In: - Go here first: https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...
Click on the title at the top - The HBC Readathons. Please then join by simply signing in at the bottom and say how many books you plan to read for one or more of the readathon dates - there will be six readathon dates throughout the year; then create your own personal shelf to add the books which you would like to tackle during one readathon or more readathons. That is all there is to it and goodreads will keep track. Become your own marathoner in reading books on the readathon dates and we will keep track of your progress in terms of titles of books, number of books, number of pages, and different genres. Give it a whirl and see how much reading you can get done and take a stab at that big "to be read" pile of books that we all have.

Note: Don't forget to set up your shelf first and then add the name of that shelf here when setting up the challenge for your readathon.

And here are some links to the Readathon folder which will be updated:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

IF YOU SIGNED UP ALREADY FOR 2015 - YOU ARE ALREADY SIGNED UP FOR THE 2015 READATHONS - THEN PROCEED TO YOUR FIRST CHECK IN - OTHERWISE JOIN FIRST AND THEN PROCEED TO FIRST CHECKIN CHECKPOINT.

message 14: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Start here in terms of discussing Readathon Five - October 24th at 8AM.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.