Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group discussion

Discussions > Women and Crime Fiction

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I listened to a podcast from the Australian broadcaster ABC Radio National on my walk this morning. It was an interview with S.J. Watson, author of Before I Go To Sleep, about his new thriller Second Life.

You can download it here: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/p...

He said that people that go to his book tour events are predominantly women, but that he'd been told that - in the UK - he'd been told the purchasers of his book were nearly split down the middle, 45-55 men to women.

Then the interviewer said that 80% of crime fiction is read/purchased by women. I think this is interesting, since it is portrayed many times as a man's genre.

What do you think?

message 2: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 123 comments This comment may be true as my husband, my brother and friends are interested in war stories.

message 3: by Softbananas (new)

Softbananas | 19 comments Hmmm .. woman looking for the perfect crime. Watch your back guys

message 4: by Linda Abhors the New GR Design (last edited Apr 27, 2015 11:28AM) (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 5 comments This could be true, Kristen...if you think about it, most of the "cozy"s probably draw more women than men (think Miss Marple, or "The Cat Who...", while the hard-boiled might tend to draw more men. Would be interesting to get that breakdown, and see where the thrillers fall, since my guess is that that's probably more of a 50/50 type mystery/thriller.

message 5: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 123 comments I prefer reading woman authors even in thrillers that usually are not as hard boil as men authors

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 5 comments Gail wrote: "An interesting corresponding statistic would be to find out what percentage of authors of crime fiction are women. However, many women feature as many men as women as main characters, so it may not..."

The opposite doesn't seem to be true, however. Few male authors feature women detectives. I've worked with some hard-boiled/thriller writers who have a male protagonist, but a female "sidekick', if you will, that break that stereotype. They're love interests, not official partners, but also pivotal to the successful resolution. Very different.

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Great story on NPR's Morning Edition this morning about the phenomenon of "girl" books. You know, the habit of putting on the cover of a new thriller: "the next Gone Girl" or "the next Girl on the Train".

Crime novelist Megan Abbott and Sarah Weinman of the newsletter Publisher's Lunch were the guests.

http://www.npr.org/2016/02/22/4673927...#

message 8: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 121 comments Linda wrote: "Gail wrote: "An interesting corresponding statistic would be to find out what percentage of authors of crime fiction are women. However, many women feature as many men as women as main characters, ..."

This comment just caught my eye, because I just found a book my used bookstore called The Fourth Time Is Murder by Steven Havill, whose main character is under deputy sheriff Estele Reye-Guzman. At chapter 6, must say it is a well written police procedural mystery, one of a series.
A little gritty, more profanity than necessary for my taste, but a good mystery with a southwestern background.

message 10: by Reacherfan (new)

Reacherfan | 17 comments Saying 'women are the predominant buyers' does not equal women are the predominant READERS of a certain book or genre.

And yes, there are far more female leads today than even 10 years ago. I find that quite refreshing. It was strong females leads that led me to read a lot more UF. My favorite is a mashup of James Bond meets Outer Limits

The Rook (The Checquy Files, #1) by Daniel O'Malley Daniel O'Malley The lead is a woman. Really well done.