What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > Novel about a student who returns home from Uni because his friend has died. Has fantastical 'Guizer' stories weaving through the chapters

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Apr 26, 2015 08:13AM) (new)

Amanda Whitehead | 1 comments I read a novel back in the 90s about a young male student who moved back home from University because he was upset about the mysterious death of his friend and needed to take some time out (I think his friend's body was found in a canal). I seem to recall the student was brilliant at maths. He befriended a new-age traveller family who lived in the woods in a camper-van or converted lorry. The authorities were trying to take their children away so they hid them in a secret compartment under the lorry. Throughout each chapter, a mythical/fantastical story was woven of 'The Guizer' who roamed the woods. I'm sure these parts were in italics, and they complemented the main storyline. The student seemed decent and likeable for most of the story until near the end where unsavoury things are discovered on his computer at the repair shop. He kills the new-age traveller family by burning their lorry. It turns out he also killed his friend for being academically better than him. Any ideas of the name of this novel or who might have written it? Thanks.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4844 comments Do you remember anything about the cover?
Time period/location story takes place?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37625 comments Mod
Is it literary fiction or genre fiction?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Amanda, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Amanda, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response; moving to Abandoned.