The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Monthly Theme Archive 2015-2016 > Health/Wellness/Self-Improvement (Non-Fiction - May 2015) - Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
Our focus for May is on books that can help you improve, or explore the myriad of health-related topics! So there's plenty to choose from this month!

Whether you want to look at improving your confidence, family, or your health, there's loads of opportunities here to examine both yourself and the genre!

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Moore (nataliemoore) | 39 comments My favourite genre as a bibliophile nurse! Not sure what I am going to read yet though..

message 3: by NzingaMarie (new)

NzingaMarie | 34 comments Yes! Library day tomorrow. I know what I'll be getting :-)

message 4: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Hmmm. I'm reading a memoir on Neurosurgery. Would you say that fits in with this month, or is it more science..?

message 5: by Laronza (new)

Laronza Wiley-moore (laronzawiley-moore) | 228 comments I think Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

message 6: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Holly, I think you could stretch that to fit within health ;)

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Moore (nataliemoore) | 39 comments That definitely fits. Is it Do No Harm you're reading?

message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Moore (nataliemoore) | 39 comments That definitely fits. Is it Do No Harm you're reading?

message 9: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Natalie, unfortunately not, I've been eying Do No Harm on Goodreads for ages.

I actually spotted this one in my university library, it's 'When the Air Hits Your Brain: Tales from Neurosurgery'. It was a really interesting read, and the writing style made it really enjoyable. Definitely recommended if someone wants a book about neurosurgery (something I've always been intrigued by)!

message 10: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Moore (nataliemoore) | 39 comments I read The Iceberg by Marion Coutts. Beautiful book & highly recommend.

message 11: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4709 comments Mod
I got The Power of Intention as an audiobook from the library. It turned out to be, not the book, but an audio version of a lecture by Wayne Dyer. But it was certainly interesting and perked up my mornings while I listened.

Ashley (JaffaCaffa) (jaffacaffa) | 1 comments I highly recommend Total Recovery: Solving the Mystery of Chronic Pain and Depression which discusses what (some) people with chronic pain and depression face, to get a bit of insight, as well as ways to improve your health and help treat pain. There are also some bits on how food and medicine can affect your body. It was extremely accurate and informative for what I have, but obviously pain/illness is also unique for everyone. :)