The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Monthly Theme Archive 2015-2016 > Central America, Mexico and the Caribbean (World Lit - May 2015) - Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly, That Geeky One (last edited Apr 26, 2015 08:10AM) (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
This month we go round the world to Central America, including Mexico and the Caribbean!

Countries include: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Bay Islands, Guyana, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago.

There's a lot of countries there, so there's plenty to choose from!

Remember, it needs to either be written or set in any of the countries, or be written by a Central American, Mexican, or Caribbean author!

Check out the Goodreads shelves on Mexico, The Caribbean, and Central America for some ideas!

message 2: by Dora (new)

Dora This book is so due: Like Water for Chocolate

message 3: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 221 comments I recently finished reading Like Water for Chocolate. It was my second time reading this book and I loved it just as much as I did, when I read it for the first time.

Am currently reading Blood Meridian, or The Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy and am totally loving the experience, despite the grim nature of the book and the dark and vile picture it paints!

message 4: by Dora (new)

Dora Read All the Pretty Horses(5 stars). This book deserves every star despite all the other things that bothered me: basic Spanish was bad, my translation too, I could sense a stereotype here and there and by the end of the second chapter I really thought the author should read some Central or South American novels to get a real picture of Hispanic American people. Anyway, the book has the "poetry" of its own, and some pleasant surprises come at the end of the book. It was nice to see some Mexicans expresing their perspective which actually convinced me that the author read some Mexican literature. Honorable mention: Fernández de Lizardi - by the time his name was mentioned in a book, I already knew how is this book going to end (El Periquillo Sarniento)

message 5: by Dora (new)

Dora Finished Like Water for Chocolate, really the very best of magic realism