The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Monthly Theme Archive 2015-2016 > Fantasy (Genre - May 2015) - Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
Are you going with Wizards or Ghouls, Goblins or Mystical worlds?

May is the time for fantasy, and whether you want to go for epics, or YA or classic fantasy, it's up to you!

The Goodreads genre page for Fantasy has an amazing amount of information, and might be able to give you ideas for the route you want to go!

(Note: please be aware that we also have Sci-Fi/Dystopian as our Genre in September, so you might want to avoid space and depressing worlds in this month! But if you have the urge to read the latest dystopian fantasy series, we won't stop you!)

message 2: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (0utnumbered321) The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker

That's my main fantasy read for May but Fantasy is one of my favorite genres so I am sure I will be reading a few :)

message 3: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4708 comments Mod
That looks really good, Caitlin

I'm toying with a couple of things. I'm in for most of the Group Reads, like The Hobbit and Doll Bones. Redwall has been on my tbr for quite some time, but I haven't been able to get into it. I'm also thinking about continuing with the Splintered trilogy. Or another from the Mortal Instruments series. Basically, I have no idea. :P

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam Renee I love the redwall and mortal instruments series!

message 5: by megan (new)

megan | 866 comments The Infernal Devices by Clare is even better than The Mortal Instruments. Victorian era shadow hunters.

message 6: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Really? That's good to know! I enjoyed the first three in the MI series. The Magnus Bane character was just so much fun.

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina Choy | 51 comments I am reading The Outlander.

message 8: by Caitlin (last edited Apr 30, 2015 08:56PM) (new)

Caitlin (0utnumbered321) The Tain by China Miéville The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker The Blue Girl (Newford) by Charles de Lint Zazen by Vanessa Veselka The Wild Girls by Ursula K. Le Guin Big Fish by Daniel Wallace The Red Tree by Caitlín R. Kiernan

The above are the Fantasy books I plan on reading this up coming month!!! Sooo excited!!

message 9: by Dora (new)

Dora I'll probably finish Narnia:
The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5) by C.S. Lewis The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6) by C.S. Lewis The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7) by C.S. Lewis

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam I will re read the hobbit for the group read. I'll also probably re read the lord of the rings, I have an old 1960s copy that my dad read at uni. He gave it to me and I first read it when I was at uni, I remember reading it at the launderette waiting for my clothes to finish drying :-D I might also finish the mortal instrument series, or possibly re read them. I own them all but got.to the third book and got stuck in a rut. Same with game of thrones, own them all but got stuck in a rut by a feast for crows. I'd also like to re read magician by raymond feist which i haven't read for years. Also two books by Trudi Canavan that have been sat on my shelf for years and never read. This is probably my favourite genre!

message 11: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I've finished the Group Reads : The Hobbit and Doll Bones

Next in Fantasy...
Redwall
Clockwork Angel
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Outlander

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen | 289 comments Caitlin wrote: "The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker

That's my main fantasy read for May but Fantasy is one of my favorite genres so I am sure I will be reading a few :)"

I LOVED this book. Hope you enjoy

message 13: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 800 comments Karen wrote: "I LOVED this book. Hope you enjoy "

+1

Fantasy is one of my favourite genres too. I'm going to finally read The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard #1) by Scott Lynch and The Crown Conspiracy Sample by Michael J. Sullivan , can't wait!

message 14: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Megan-
You were completely right when you said the Infernal Devices trilogy was even better than the original series. I absolutely loved them! The characters were terrific. I finished all three in a mater of a few days then started all over again because I wasn't ready to leave them all. I'm having so much fun with fantasy this month.

message 15: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 221 comments Kiwi - I LOVED The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard #1) by Scott Lynch ! It was one of my favourite reads last year! Hope you enjoy it!

Will be starting The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3) by Scott Lynch soon, which is the third book in that series! Can't wait to start it. :)

message 16: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 800 comments Agree, Srividya, it was a terrific read!

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen | 289 comments I also loved Lies of Locke Lamora. I'm due to start book 3 soon.

message 18: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (0utnumbered321) I read the Red Tree.... was not a fan!! Blue Girl was okay but nothing special. The Golem in the Jinni was really good. The Wild Girls was okay. Currently I am reading the Tain which is really good... can't wait to see where it goes.

message 19: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I tried reading Fairest by Gail Carson Levine because I just loved Ella Enchanted. But I couldn't get into this one even after reading about 25%. I'd rather find something else in this genre than try to force myself to finish.

I think I'll try Unhinged next. I enjoyed Splintered whener did it as a group read so I have high hopes.

message 20: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 800 comments Good luck Renee with your next read.
I have started Theft of Swords (the first 2 books in the The Riyria Revelations series and includes The Crown Conspiracy which I had selected initially) and I am enjoying it so far.

message 21: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I had a blast with this genre this month. So much so that I pretty much left everything else unfinished. I may have needed a little fantastical indulgence so it's all good, but I have a some catching up to do in June. ;-)

message 22: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (0utnumbered321) I have sooooo enjoyed this genre!!! Fantasy is absolutely amazing :D