Espionage Aficionados discussion

NonFic & Reality > the Israelis

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Apr 25, 2015 09:35PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 727 comments Mod
How many people here realize that the Israelis *hijacked* a shipment of plutonium out from under the agreement of JFK (and the Big Four) in the 1960s, in order to become nuclear-equipped vs its enemies? I'm just astounded that this was never a major news story. They stole their way into the nuclear community to assist their survival in the middle-east. I'm actually all for their survival, but I'm adamantly against nuclear proliferation. Why this story is unknown is bewildering.

message 2: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 35 comments I was under the impression that Israel "with French support secretly began building a nuclear reactor and reprocessing plant in the late 1950s in Dimona."

Now as for this news story from the early 1960, if it's true, it doesn't surprise me if it was under-reported at the time. Look at what Israel did when it launched its unwarranted attack against the USS Liberty in 1967.

message 3: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Apr 25, 2015 10:57PM) (new)

Well said, KOMET. Trust you to have a comment to contribute. Sharp.

:D

(p.s. you're right, but the plant was unimportant without the materiele')

message 4: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Apr 25, 2015 11:17PM) (new)

It seems almost too incredible to be true. Of course-- these days--it's just a footnote in history. But it was real. It happened. It had never been done before, and it was fiendishly difficult to accomplish.

At least one instance where a commando team changed the world situation, permanently.