BookExpo America discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
BEA Archives > BEA 2015 Galley Drop Schedules

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura (bookcaselaura) | 202 comments I didn't know whether to put this under signing or authors, so I started a new thread for galley drops, although this has some signings in it too.

Sourcebooks in-booth signing and galley drop schedule:

http://www.sourcebooks.com/spotlight/...

Giveaways:

Wednesday, May 27

9:00 a.m. Max the Brave giveaway (Ages 3+)

Thursday, May 28

9:00 a.m. Awake giveaway (Ages 16+)
11:00 a.m. The Girl Who Wrote in Silk giveaway (Adult Fiction)
Noon H2O giveaway (12+)
2:00 p.m. Hanging Mary giveaway (Adult Fiction)
3:00 p.m. My Secret to Tell (Ages 14+)

Friday, May 29

9:00 a.m. The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend (Adult Fiction)
10:30 a.m. The Heartbreakers (Ages 12+)
11:30 a.m. Rescue Road (Adult Nonfiction)
1:00 p.m. Until We Meet Again (Ages 14+)

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Layburn (smlnbooks) | 22 comments Great thread idea. Thanks, Laura!

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikki_wang) | 7 comments http://www.macmillanlibrary.com/2015/...

Took this from the other thread :)

message 4: by Marcilia (new)

Marcilia | 111 comments Laura wrote: "I didn't know whether to put this under signing or authors, so I started a new thread for galley drops, although this has some signings in it too.

Sourcebooks in-booth signing and galley drop sch..."

Thanks for sharing Laura! :)

message 5: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) | 657 comments Mod
good idea! folk should be posting this info soon in various places...

message 6: by Nicole Lynn (new)

Nicole Lynn (popcrunchboom) | 8 comments This isn't necessarily relevant to Galley Drops, but I found this link for what books will be appearing at BEA on Edelweiss and thought it might be a helpful: http://www.booksatbea.com/

I don't believe it is fully live until May but you can see some of them right now.

Hope this helps someone and maybe some of these will turn into Galley Drops :)

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris | 13 comments Publishers Weekly will publish their "Around the Booths" (guide to the exhibitors) on May 4th.

I think this gave some information as to galleys available last year.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (bookcaselaura) | 202 comments Chris wrote: "Publishers Weekly will publish their "Around the Booths" (guide to the exhibitors) on May 4th.

I think this gave some information as to galleys available last year."

Yes, there will be an "Adult Galleys to Grab" and a "Children's Galleys to Grab" section of the PW BEA issue on May 4th. Since a lot of the bookstores don't carry PW anymore, you can get an individual e-issue for nook through bn.com. But, I'm sure someone will post most of the info on here, too.

message 9: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) | 657 comments Mod
PW website also tends to publish a couple posts highlighting them a little bit after. not the FULL spread, but its still pretty handy dandy.

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Layburn (smlnbooks) | 22 comments Just out of curiosity: Do you feel that waiting for/obtaining books from galley drops takes less time or as much time as signings, or does it just depend on the book?

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (bookcaselaura) | 202 comments Sharon wrote: "Just out of curiosity: Do you feel that waiting for/obtaining books from galley drops takes less time or as much time as signings, or does it just depend on the book?"

MUCH less. There usually isn't a wait at all. You just show up to the booth at the time they are "dropping" them and grab from a big pile. Depending on the booth, they may hand them out one by one, but even that goes super fast. If it is a very popular book, a line may start before the time, but it will go fast once the time comes. Sometimes you can show up later in the day and there will still be some sitting on the floor of the booths, so it is worth checking back if you missed a "drop" time.

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Layburn (smlnbooks) | 22 comments Good to know- thanks for the info, Laura!

Andi (Andi's ABCs) (andiabcs) | 13 comments Sharon wrote: "Good to know- thanks for the info, Laura!"

You can also politely ask someone at the booth if they have any copies of a certain book. I was lucky last year doing that a couple of time. I was even given a display book on the last day. It never hurts to ask if you are kind about it.

message 14: by Sharon (last edited May 01, 2015 08:40AM) (new)

Sharon Layburn (smlnbooks) | 22 comments Ooh! That's a really nice idea, Andi. Thanks!
I attended BEA last year for the first time, and I feel that I understand the wonderful craziness that is the autograph area, but I didn't really take full advantage of galley drops and booth signings, so I appreciate all the advice and tips!

message 15: by Sharon (last edited May 02, 2015 01:34PM) (new)

Sharon Layburn (smlnbooks) | 22 comments It looks like PW released their BEA 2015 "Galleys to Grab" list yesterday! Yay!
Adult Galleys:
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by...
Kids Galleys:

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (bookcaselaura) | 202 comments Sharon wrote: "It looks like PW released their BEA 2015 "Galleys to Grab" list yesterday! Yay!
Adult Galleys:
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by...-..."

OOH!!! Thanks for sharing, Sharon!

message 17: by Marcilia (new)

Marcilia | 111 comments Thanks for posting that Sharon!

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Layburn (smlnbooks) | 22 comments My pleasure!

message 19: by Aisha (new)

Aisha Oaktree (aishao) Sharon wrote: "My pleasure!"

Sharon wrote: "It looks like PW released their BEA 2015 "Galleys to Grab" list yesterday! Yay!
Adult Galleys:

I'm never going to sleep, because it's time to plan!!!!!

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | Bookish Serendipity (bookishserendipity) | 30 comments Do any of you know exactly how galley drops work? Do you get there early and wait in line (like a signing) or are the books just left in a pile? Do they tend to be over quickly?

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura (bookcaselaura) | 202 comments Jessica wrote: "Do any of you know exactly how galley drops work? Do you get there early and wait in line (like a signing) or are the books just left in a pile? Do they tend to be over quickly?"

It can be either. Most often they are in a pile on the floor, but some big name books (like James Patterson) they will have you form a line ahead of time, which does move fast once the time comes. Occasionally they will even give out tickets for galley drops (like they did for Stephen King last year). It never hurts to ask earlier in the day so you don't miss out.

message 22: by Krista (new)

Krista (kristasdustjacket) | 254 comments Mod
Jessica wrote: "Do any of you know exactly how galley drops work? Do you get there early and wait in line (like a signing) or are the books just left in a pile? Do they tend to be over quickly?"

Most of the big publishers will print a schedule of events, including times galley drops, and have them at their booths. Swing by first thing and grab a schedule so you know what books are being dropped when.

Some booths have them in piles on the floor. Some you have to stand in line for. At least those lines go fast.

message 23: by Cristina (new)

Cristina  | 13 comments Sharon wrote: "It looks like PW released their BEA 2015 "Galleys to Grab" list yesterday! Yay!
Adult Galleys:

So excited for this! Quick question though (since I'm new to the PW list). Will they eventually post the times the Galleys are dropped off or do we need to wait till we get there and they have those papers/flyers with galley times at each booth for the whole of BEA? Just trying to plan out my schedule as much as possible! :)

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura (bookcaselaura) | 202 comments Cristina wrote: "Sharon wrote: "It looks like PW released their BEA 2015 "Galleys to Grab" list yesterday! Yay!
Adult Galleys:
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by......"

Some of the publishers will post their schedules ahead of time - like MacMillan and Sourcebooks that we already know, but most it is the day of. Some don't even have official schedules and they just get put out at random times. Again, it never hurts to ask if there's a book you REALLY want. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get the inside scoop or even the book itself. School Library Journal usually has a good article just before BEA with some more galley drop/signing info that will sometimes include times not listed elsewhere.

message 25: by Cristina (new)

Cristina  | 13 comments Laura wrote: "Cristina wrote: "Sharon wrote: "It looks like PW released their BEA 2015 "Galleys to Grab" list yesterday! Yay!
Adult Galleys:
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by......"

Ahhhh gotcha! Thank you! :)

message 26: by Marcilia (new)

Marcilia | 111 comments Hi Everyone...you all might want to check out the AROUND THE BOOTHS from Publisher's Weekly too...(seeing some galleys not listed in the Adult Galley drop or the Children's Galley drop)

message 27: by Krista (new)

Marcilia wrote: "Hi Everyone...you all might want to check out the AROUND THE BOOTHS from Publisher's Weekly too...(seeing some galleys not listed in the Adult Galley drop or the Children's Galley drop)

http://www..."

THANK YOU!

My daughter would seriously lose her crap if I were able to score a galley of the 10th Diary of a Wimpy Kid book.

She's totally my kid. :)

message 28: by Marcilia (last edited May 04, 2015 08:49AM) (new)

Marcilia | 111 comments Krista wrote: "Marcilia wrote: "Hi Everyone...you all might want to check out the AROUND THE BOOTHS from Publisher's Weekly too...(seeing some galleys not listed in the Adult Galley drop or the Children's Galley ..."

You are most welcome. :)

My cousin is already begging me for me to get it for her. So I understand Krista. Did you see the Scholastic galley for the illustrated HP and the sorcerer's stone?

message 29: by Aisha (new)

Aisha Oaktree (aishao) Jessica wrote: "Do any of you know exactly how galley drops work? Do you get there early and wait in line (like a signing) or are the books just left in a pile? Do they tend to be over quickly?"

it depends on the books, if it's a popular follow up they might ticket or line you up, if it's just a drop most times they literally have a bunch of books on the floor or on the tables and you grab them

message 30: by Jessica | (new)

Jessica | Secrets of the Stories (secretofthestories) | 119 comments Marcilia wrote: "Krista wrote: "Marcilia wrote: "Hi Everyone...you all might want to check out the AROUND THE BOOTHS from Publisher's Weekly too...(seeing some galleys not listed in the Adult Galley drop or the Chi..."

I just saw the HP illustrated galley listed too! I wonder if it'll be the full galley or just a sample with the new cover, either way I want it... I want too many books this year though. I don't know how I'm going to fit them all in my room.

message 31: by Marcilia (new)

Marcilia | 111 comments Jessica wrote: "Marcilia wrote: "Krista wrote: "Marcilia wrote: "Hi Everyone...you all might want to check out the AROUND THE BOOTHS from Publisher's Weekly too...(seeing some galleys not listed in the Adult Galle..."

I want it too...regardless...because it's HP and it's special. I also want more books than I'll probably be able to take home with me...might have to look into shipping.

message 32: by Krista (new)

Marcilia wrote: "Krista wrote: "Marcilia wrote: "Hi Everyone...you all might want to check out the AROUND THE BOOTHS from Publisher's Weekly too...(seeing some galleys not listed in the Adult Galley drop or the Chi..."

YEEEEEEES! I want to get that for her too. I think it would be the perfect introduction for her to the world of HP. She's turning 9 on June 5, so these would be great birthday gifts for her.

message 33: by Krista (new)

Did you all see that MCPG is saying there'll be galleys of Winter by Marissa Meyer? That's a mistake, right? I can't image they would have that there.

message 34: by Marcilia (new)

Marcilia | 111 comments @Krista
I did see that....not sure what the deal is.

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | Bookish Serendipity (bookishserendipity) | 30 comments @Krista

I heard someone suggest that maybe they're just samplers? I know they had galleys for Cress, but I had thought they wouldn't have them for Winter (or at least be super selective about who receives them).

message 36: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachaelkmac) Marissa Meyer said on twitter that there will be NO ARC's of Winter so it was either a mistake or it's a sampler!

message 37: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachaelkmac) Jessica wrote: "Must be a sampler if they're there. Or PW meant to put Fairest. Or it'll be something stupid like a post card with the cover image on it."

Yeah, Alexandra Bracken's Passenger was also on the PW list but she also said on twitter that unless there is some sort of miracle it won't be there, probably a sampler as well. It's kind of disappointing, so many people got their hopes up!

message 38: by Krista (new)

Jessica wrote: "Yea I hate samplers. I ended up with 6 of them last year though. All the big names and exciting titles were samplers for me :( Hoping that doesn't happen again"

I'm not a fan of samplers either. :(

message 39: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 8 comments Are they actually going to have the illustrated Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone? Because OMG.

message 40: by Marcilia (new)

Marcilia | 111 comments Brianna wrote: "Are they actually going to have the illustrated Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone? Because OMG."

That's what many of us are all dying to find out for sure Brianna...because it would be AMAZING.

message 41: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachaelkmac) I agree that they probably won't have the copies and it'll be a sampler for Harry Potter, they had samplers at the library conference I went to here in Canada last weekend. I hate that they're putting down samplers as galleys though, I went through last years PW articles and I don't think anything that was listed was just samplers...

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura (bookcaselaura) | 202 comments Rachael wrote: "I agree that they probably won't have the copies and it'll be a sampler for Harry Potter, they had samplers at the library conference I went to here in Canada last weekend. I hate that they're putt..."

It might even be a poster or print of some of the artwork. I actually think that would be pretty cool, but those are so difficult to keep from getting smushed unless they give you a tube.

message 43: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 8 comments GUESS WHAT'S UP?

BEA Galleys to watch out for:

message 44: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolemoy) | 73 comments Marcilia wrote: "Brianna wrote: "Are they actually going to have the illustrated Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone? Because OMG."

That's what many of us are all dying to find out for sure Brianna...because it..."

I hope this is true because I NEED this!

message 45: by Marcilia (new)

Marcilia | 111 comments Nicole wrote: "Marcilia wrote: "Brianna wrote: "Are they actually going to have the illustrated Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone? Because OMG."

That's what many of us are all dying to find out for sure Bri..."

I know @Nicole....I know exactly how you feel.

message 46: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jamiesugah) | 15 comments Leigh Bardugo posted her BEA schedule and there will be a Six of Crows galley drop at the MCPG booth on Friday at 2:30.

http://lbardugo.tumblr.com/post/11827...

message 48: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | Bookish Serendipity (bookishserendipity) | 30 comments ReadWriteLove28 wrote: "Macmillian posted this!

http://macteenbooks.tumblr.com/post/1..."

Thanks!!!

message 49: by Aisha (new)

Aisha Oaktree (aishao) ReadWriteLove28 wrote: "Macmillian posted this!

http://macteenbooks.tumblr.com/post/1..."

I wonder if they are charging this year for Book Con books?? I didn't see it but apparently some of the publishing houses were charging for their books during the event.

message 50: by Beth (new)

Beth Krista wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Yea I hate samplers. I ended up with 6 of them last year though. All the big names and exciting titles were samplers for me :( Hoping that doesn't happen again"

I'm not a fan of sa..."

I tweeted at Scholastic and this was their response.

This book will be available globally on 10-6-15, with plans to publish the other illustrated HP titles, one per year. Please visit http://bit.ly/1Ig5Dk8 for more information.

So very noncommittal one way or the other.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.