Writers and Readers discussion

Writers Corner > What do you know about Author House?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura McCaskill (lauracambymccaskill) | 7 comments Anyone out there have any advice about Author Publishing house? Good? Bad? Thanks!

message 2: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1777 comments Mod
I'm not sure if you mean AuthorHouse Publishing or Authors' Publishing House, but the Preditors & Editors website gives both companies a not recommended rating.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura McCaskill (lauracambymccaskill) | 7 comments Sorry, AuthorHouse Publishing. Thanks for giving me the website.

message 4: by A.F. (new)

Laura wrote: "Sorry, AuthorHouse Publishing. Thanks for giving me the website."

AuthorHouse Publishing is not a good site. It's been sued, and has a long list of author complaints trailing its history. It's also part of Author Solutions, which has a even worse reputation.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura McCaskill (lauracambymccaskill) | 7 comments I appreciate the information.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura McCaskill (lauracambymccaskill) | 7 comments Could you suggest a good publisher?

message 7: by A.F. (new)

What type of book are you looking to get published? Smaller publishers are often genre specific.

message 8: by Jim (last edited Apr 27, 2015 05:13PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 111 comments Laura wrote: "Could you suggest a good publisher?"

Laura,

Most local public libraries dedicate a section to writing, editing, and publishing information. There are books and periodicals that include lists of publishers that can help an author achieve her goals and other lists of those that claim they will, but don't.

They include samples and suggestions for query letters, which publishers specialize in which genres, and general rules regarding proper procedure and etiquette (what to do and what not to do). Investing some time and effort in such research can save a novice author a lot of pain and disappointment and sometimes be very rewarding.

I wish you success.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura McCaskill (lauracambymccaskill) | 7 comments Thanks Jim, I am currently reading through the Writers Market 2015. Lots of goodies in here.