Steelheart (The Reckoners, #1) Steelheart discussion

What did you think the weakness was? *Spoilers!*

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diana Braxton So what did you guys think Steelheart's weakness was before the grand finale? I thought it was that his father was a believer, and maybe that it was crossfire, but despite the clues, I would have never guessed the truth!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* I thought it was crossfire.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought it was that he could only be killed by someone who wanted to save/protect him. Like an intersection of crossfire and believer--crossfire from the soldiers couldn't hurt him because they thought he was invincible and so weren't really protecting him, but a believer wouldn't necessarily think that it was possible to (or WORTH it to) save Steelheart specifically.

David I thought it was that he could only be killed on accident by someone who didn't want to kill him. So, for instance, crossfire by someone who would try to kill him anyway if they had the chance wouldn't count. I assumed he was horrible to everyone not to make them fear him but to ensure that anyone he came across would most definitely want to kill him.

Sic Transit Gloria Yeah, same here. Something to do with non-intention. Then the book threw a curveball, and I went from thinking this the book was dull and predictable to awesome.

Chris At first I thought it was accidental harm that was his weakness, but then I quickly guessed it was people who did not fear him. I mean, once I found out a state of mind could be a weakness, it all came together.

Diana Braxton Chris wrote: "At first I thought it was accidental harm that was his weakness, but then I quickly guessed it was people who did not fear him. I mean, once I found out a state of mind could be a weakness, it all ..."

Really? Wow, you must be really good at spotting spoilers in books!

message 8: by Robert (new) - added it

Robert I thought it was fear after they found that hidden room with all the propaganda of fake horrible acts..

Tariq I thought that he could only be killed by someone who believed he was a good guy, which makes sense, because that's what David's father believed when he killed deathpoint and injuring steelheart. The fact that steelheart had a propaganda center to publish news of his misdeeds just further proved that theory.

Although the real weakness was disappointing, I liked the way steelheart was killed.

message 10: by Paks (new)

Paks Tariq wrote: "I thought that he could only be killed by someone who believed he was a good guy, which makes sense, because that's what David's father believed when he killed deathpoint and injuring steelheart. T..."

I agree on this. I also thought it was because the father was a believer. I thought the reckoner (who's name has slipped out of my head for now) who is also a believer would be the answer.

message 11: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Romano By someone who didn't think he was evil.

message 12: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Dunn I didn't think that Steelheart was truly evil, until the end. I thought that his weakness was that he could only be harmed by someone who knew his true nature. He needed his invincibility to fight the other epics and save what little of humanity he could, so he set about convincing everyone that he was a bad guy. David's father believed that Steelheart was the hero that they were waiting for. Right up until the end, I expected his father to be right.