Imps of Goldstone Wood discussion

Read-Through > Moonblood Read-Through 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 185 (185 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 87 comments You are invited to join the readthrough of Moonblood, by Anne Elisabeth Stengl. It will begin on May 1, 2015, and continue into June. Participants read 5 chapters each week and discuss them in this forum every Saturday. A more precise schedule will be posted presently.

Please come join the fun!

Note: It is essential for participants to read Veiled Rose before reading Moonblood in order to get an understanding of what is taking place.

message 2: by Athelas (new)

Athelas Hale (athelashale) | 39 comments *grins* I can't wait.

message 3: by Grace (new)

Grace Mullins (evergraceful) | 11 comments I've decided to join! Though, I fear it will make me want more Rosie and Lionheart... again. ;-)

message 4: by H.S.J. (new)

H.S.J. Williams | 374 comments Mod
This is going to be so exciting!!! :D

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 87 comments Okay, here is the schedule:

•May 2 - Prologue to Part 1 Chapter 4, pp 7-58, 52 pages (total with text)
•May 9 - Part 1 Chapter 5 to Part 2 Chapter 3, pp 59-104, 46 pages
•May 16 - Part 3 Chapters 1-6, pp 106-151, 46 pages
•May 23 - Part 3 Chapters 7-11, pp 152-196, 44 pages
•May 30 - Part 4 Chapters 1-5, pp 198-246, 49 pages
•June 6 - Part 4 Chapters 6-10, pp 247-290, 44 pages
•June 13 - Part 5 Chapters 1-6, pp 292-333, 42 pages
•June 20 - Part 5 Chapter 7 to Epilogue, pp 334-373, 40 pages

Some of the weeks have more than five chapters, but that is only because there are fewer pages and to keep it from going too long. For example, the last week has 7 chapters, but the least total pages. And I promise the number of pages is correct. Count them if you doubt me ;)

And remember that on the first Saturday, May 2, you need to have already read the first five chapters.

I can't wait!

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahtaleweaver) | 29 comments Yay, excitingness!

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 41 comments EEE! :D I'm excited. (...I just have to finish Veiled Rose that I'm two chapters into... as well as read two library books... in the next 5 days... No pressure. XD)

THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME THOUGH! :D I wonder if I will be the only person reading it for the first time... *giggle*

*snatches schedule and saves to computer and hugs it to self* ^_^

message 8: by Ghost Ryter (new)

Ghost Ryter | 117 comments Can't wait! This is going to be so much fun!! :D

message 9: by Jemma (new)

Jemma (jemmathebookelf) | 50 comments Ghost Ryter wrote: "Can't wait! This is going to be so much fun!! :D"

I absolutely agree

message 10: by Rina (new)

Rina | 10 comments Looking forward to this. I'd better go pull out my copy of Moonblood. But first to finish reading Draven's Light. :)

message 11: by Allison (new)

Allison Ruvidich | 92 comments Huzzah!

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (readingrogers) | 60 comments Yay!! This is going to be awesome!

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahtaleweaver) | 29 comments What. This starts tomorrow. What. Time, stop running away from me.
At least I know what I'm reading this afternoon.

message 14: by Deborah (new)

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 41 comments Sarah Taleweaver wrote: "What. This starts tomorrow. What. Time, stop running away from me.
At least I know what I'm reading this afternoon."

I know, right? o.o (Must rush to finish Veiled Rose so that I CAN start! XD)

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie Grace (katiegracewrite) | 14 comments xD I still have to finish Veiled Rose, too, Deborah. *frantic reading rush*

message 16: by Deborah (new)

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 41 comments Katie wrote: "xD I still have to finish Veiled Rose, too, Deborah. *frantic reading rush*"

Go go go! :) (Except for me, this is my first time reading it, so I REALLY have to finish. XD)

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie Grace (katiegracewrite) | 14 comments This will be my third time... So I don't need to read it, but it's one of my favorites so I'm going to. :p

message 18: by Deborah (new)

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 41 comments Katie wrote: "This will be my third time... So I don't need to read it, but it's one of my favorites so I'm going to. :p"

Haha, I can see why! It's awesome. ^_^ Well, good luck anyway! :P

message 19: by H.S.J. (new)

All right! Well, I won't be on here to join in the fun for today and tomorrow, but I'll start us off!

The prologue. WOW. That is still one of my favorite prologues! Did you all know that the baby was Rosie when you first start reading it? What were your reactions when you realized this was the world she came from, and this is who her parents were?

Dat Vahe. He's so awful, and yet I enjoy his character tremendously.

Then that strange little flower Rosie found. For a while, I couldn't figure out what it was, but I think I know now. Any of you have guesses?

I remember while reading Veiled Rose I was so mystified and intrigued by that OTHER Beana was so worried about. I thought for sure it was the Dragon, but when it wasn't...

"It has come for her at last."

Talk about cliff-hanger (no pun intended). Yeah.

message 20: by Ghost Ryter (new)

Ghost Ryter | 117 comments Ahh, I know it's one of the best prologues!!

For those who've read Shadow Hand, notice all the little foreshadowing? ^_^

As for the white flower...you know, I don't think I ever noticed that before this re-reading. One of Vahe's roses?

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily | 87 comments I never figured out what the flower was. Maybe Rose Red's purity and her relationship with Vahe and the roses makes them bloom?

message 22: by Emily (new)

Emily | 87 comments I'm going to be busy for much of today, but I'll say something now and try to be back later.

Lionheart is such a jerk in this part. I can hardly stand him.

The intro is pretty good. Why would a queen be sad when she had a daughter but the father overjoyed? I guessed it was rose Red fron the beginning.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahtaleweaver) | 29 comments I'm curious about the flowers showing up in the garden too, what exactly they are.

Also, my thoughts on a large portion of this: Lionheart, you fool. You dragon-blasted fool. *headdesk*

I'm pretty sure I knew the baby in the prologue was Rose Red. Don't remember for sure, though.

message 24: by Anne (new)

Anne Stengl | 12 comments Mod
Question for discussion: It's been said that Lionheart is such a jerk in this part. But Lionheart didn't wake up one morning and decide, "I'm going to be a jerk to everyone I most care about." So . . . what is motivating this character? WHY is he choosing to behave the way he is? Is it pure jerkish-ness or is there something more going on here?

Also, how do you think Rose Red would have behaved if their roles were switched? And why?

How do you think Foxbrush might have behaved if their roles were switched? And why?

Give it a little exploration . . .

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahtaleweaver) | 29 comments -Why is he choosing to behave the way he is: He's confused and under pressure. I can relate to that, actually. He knows what he's supposed to be, what he's supposed to do, what he's supposed to have done- and he knows he doesn't measure up, and (I don't think) he's entirely sure what to do about it. So his behavior is sort of a muddle of trying to live up to the expectations and trying to rebel against them. And he's expressing his frustration with his muddledness by acting like a jerk because it's just the easiest thing to do.

I'll confess, I've definitely acted similarly to Lionheart at times . . . usually when my parents are getting on me about needing to do stuff about college and driving and general growing-up-busyness alongside all my today-busyness. So I can get why he's doing it . . . but that doesn't stop me from getting upset with him anyway.

message 26: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (readingrogers) | 60 comments I got a lump in my throat when Leo casts her out. She's so loyal to the point of suffering and death and the look in her eyes just before she disappears in to the Wood! Agh! Makes me wish I could be there to comfort her and to perhaps slap Leo upside da head!

message 27: by Allison (new)

Allison Ruvidich | 92 comments Thoughts on Leo: I feel like... he's so young. I always knew that he was in my age range when reading the series, but now that I'm a little bit older, it seems even more dramatic.

Sorry I couldn't do more. Kind of a busy Saturday. Expect more from next week! : D

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie Grace (katiegracewrite) | 14 comments I'm still frantically reading Veiled Rose, so I'll chime in the discussion once I've read what I need to read of Moonblood. We can continue to discuss the rest of the week and not just on Saturdays, right?

message 29: by Deborah (new)

Deborah O'Carroll (deborahocarroll) | 41 comments Katie wrote: "I'm still frantically reading Veiled Rose, so I'll chime in the discussion once I've read what I need to read of Moonblood. We can continue to discuss the rest of the week and not just on Saturdays..."

SAME! O_O *tries frantically to hide eyes from spoilers on this thread* I'll be checking back probably next week. XD

message 30: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Shutt (brs_1485) | 48 comments I always thought Lionheart was one of Goldstone's most well rounded characters. He is in truth the most human of all the cast...he has the head knowledge of what is right and a vague intention of following through with it but like any of us without God's enabling...he falls flat on his face and into some pretty cowardly, despicable acts.

message 31: by Rina (new)

Rina | 10 comments Yesterday and today were busy and I'll be away from the computer next Saturday, but I enjoyed reading the posts above and figured I'd chime in on one question:
-How do you think Rose Red would have behaved if their roles were switched? And why?

I don't think Rose Red would have allowed herself to be caught in Leo's situation. She's resisted the dragon all her life and I feel like she'd be strong enough to resist Life-In-Death as well. Plus she's too loyal to betray someone the way Leo betrayed Una. But she's also stubborn and has her pride, so similar to Leo she probably would defy other's opinion. And because of that she wouldn't bow to the pressures Leo succumbed too. She'd just leave and start anew elsewhere. (Tricky for Leo though since he is the Eldest's son and all...)

I agree with Bryn, Lionheart is very well rounded and very "human".

message 32: by H.S.J. (new)

I finally realized that what Rosie saw were the "ghosts" of the missing roses. At least, I think so.

Poor dear Leo. He fails so hard hard here, but it's understandable. And if anyone is a jerk at this point, it's Daylily. Even she knows it later on.

message 33: by Emily (new)

Emily | 87 comments Rina, I was actually going to say something similar about Rose Red if she were in Lion heart's place. I agree with you, she would most likely resist.

Hannah, the ghosts of the roses makes sense because she sees something similar in Vahe's palace.

If Foxborough was in Lionheart place, I'm not entirely sure what he would do. In Shadow Hand he steps up and takes command, but only after months of hardship and the pressure to rescue his lost love. In this case, he's not fighting for Daylily and he's a bit of a wimp. So, he might give in to The Lady, and I think he is really likely to give in to the Dragon and the other pressures from his kingdom. What do you think?

message 34: by Jemma (last edited May 04, 2015 03:54PM) (new)

Jemma (jemmathebookelf) | 50 comments I think that is probably true, I think he might even have messed up even worse than Leo

message 35: by H.S.J. (new)

What was everyone's first impression of the unicorn??? Is it not one of the most terrifying guardians ever?

message 36: by S.A. (new)

S.A. Thorup (sathorup) | 3 comments Hannah wrote: "What was everyone's first impression of the unicorn??? Is it not one of the most terrifying guardians ever?"

The unicorn freaked me out too at first until I knew more about it.

message 37: by Emily (new)

Emily | 87 comments I don't remember much about my first impression of the unicorn. I think it seemed scarier to me after I learned more about it, like that it is practically undefeatable.

message 38: by Rina (new)

Rina | 10 comments I agree with Emily, the unicorn became more creepy and terrible the more we found out about it.

Do we know who that unicorn is? (In light of Golden Daughter...)

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahtaleweaver) | 29 comments @Hannah: I don't remember having much of a first impression other than "Ok then, interesting." Like Emily said, I wasn't really freaked out by it until later.

@Rina: I have always believed that the same unicorn appears in all the books, personally.

message 40: by Allison (new)

Allison Ruvidich | 92 comments After having read both, it reminds me of the unicorns from the Last Unicorn: just... completely inhuman. And yes, it is at least always called by the same name.

message 41: by H.S.J. (new)

Well, this one isn't actually ever named, and I don't know if there was a particular drawing of attention to it it being more blue than not, but I like to think that it is the same one!

Anne Elisabeth, is it?

message 42: by Jemma (new)

Jemma (jemmathebookelf) | 50 comments (view spoiler)

message 43: by Grace (new)

Grace Mullins (evergraceful) | 11 comments Joining in a bit late, but better late than never! :-D

I love the prologue of this book. I remember being awed the first time I read it, and it's still just as good the second time.

It is is so nice getting to revisit with Rosie again. She's my favorite heroine of the whole series. So loyal, so kind... How Lionheart treats her does bug me. Yes, I understand why he is the way he is, but he still irritates me at times. And if if their roles were reversed, I like to think that Rosie would not make the bad choices that Lionheart makes. She's just too good of a friend.

I also think that it is the same unicorn. Could be wrong, but it would make sense! :-D

message 44: by Michael (new)

Michael Jones (tubalschrift) | 85 comments yes, I totally agree that rosie is a great character! can somebody clearly articulate for me why the Queen has to drop Rosie off in the mortal world?

message 45: by H.S.J. (new)

The Bridges of Southlands are barriers against the faerie set up by a faerie queen long ago. Letting Rosie in was a way to keep the Unicorn out. Of course, the Queen and Rosie made it in, but they were following one of the Thrush's Paths.

message 46: by Emily (new)

Emily | 87 comments I can't understand how Ce Imral could be the unicorn in Moonblood. Didn't he "turn back to God" almost immediately after he messed up? Or am I remembering things wrong?

message 47: by Michael (new)

Michael Jones (tubalschrift) | 85 comments The reason I think Rose red would've acted differently given a role reversal is her perspective as a princess in the fairy world. Leo is not really yet familiar with that (although his beanpole probably objected to the whole thing!).

Mob violence is a very real factor. I'm convinced that Pontius Pilate did not want to crucify Jesus. But the last thing Pontius Pilate wanted was a major riot in Jerusalem. As with the peace offering in the Bible, the death of the sacrifice brings peace.

Leo almost reminds me of Peter to carry the analogy further. He forsook an innocent person but then is willing to give his all and lay down his life to try to rectify that one thing.

message 48: by Michael (new)

Michael Jones (tubalschrift) | 85 comments Hannah, so the Queen had to bring Rosie to prevent the unicorn from terrorizing the mortal world?

I love it when the Thrush's voice says "I claim her as one of mine".

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahtaleweaver) | 29 comments @Michael: I love that comparison between Peter and Leo . . . I'd never thought of that.

Also, on why the Queen brought Rosie to Southlands: because of the faerie bridges, the unicorn and others can't get to Rosie. It has . . . well, it does have to do with the safety of the mortal world, but not in the way you're thinking. And I can't really say more without spoilers, and it seems like you're reading Moonblood for the first time? If so, rest assured that all will be made clear in time.

message 50: by Grace (new)

Grace Mullins (evergraceful) | 11 comments @Emily: I'm not sure. I don't remember him turning back in "Golden Daughter," but maybe I'm the one remembering things wrong, lol.

« previous 1 3 4