SSG: Spy/Spec-Ops Group discussion

Random Chats > craziest order ever issued by leader

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Apr 25, 2015 02:01PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 1072 comments Mod
Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia? Take Navarone? Sink the Bismarck? Get us the plans for this..this..'Operation Overlord' whatever it is!

You know what I'm referring to, although I can't actually think of a good example right now.

I'm not up on the latest hot authors (Lee Child, Brad Thor and the like) but I'm sure these guys get some crazy orders handed to them.

What's the most impossible-to-carry-out instruction you've seen recently?

message 2: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin | 195 comments Not actually an order given in a specific case, but any order ending with 'at all cost' cannot be a welcome order for the poor shmuck given that order.

message 3: by Samuel (last edited Apr 25, 2015 07:11PM) (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Lee Child's Jack Reacher is his own boss and more of a detective/vigilante rather than spy so he doesn't have to take impossible orders from anyone.

Most impossible order I've seen was in a military thriller I finished reviewing. It involved a small team trying to track down and rescue 200 hostages taken in a terrorist attack. Anyone could have seen that they did not have the manpower or transport to pull off such a operation. Although to be fair, the protagonists had been hired as a tracking/surveillance team and got blindsided when their client was forced to admit the truth.

message 4: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Break into Beijing's Great Hall Of The People.
Another military thriller I read involved SEAL Team 6 trying to pull that off. Unluckily for them, the MSS had managed to compromise the CIA network facilitating the mission and managed to slaughter almost everyone on the team before they could even actually set off to conduct the operation.

message 5: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Yeah (about Reacher) I remembered as I was writing the post but too lazy not to just lump him in with the generality I was making. Thanks though

message 6: by Samuel (last edited Apr 25, 2015 08:26PM) (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Probably the most impossible order Scott Harvath was given was to stand down and NOT hunt the Islamic terrorist who was busy murdering everyone in his family and all of his civilian friends. Being Harvath, he inevitably disobeyed the order, found the responsible party trying to murder a former lover and drowned him on the shores of Lake Geneva Wisconsin.

message 7: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Heh heh. You sure know your moderns.

message 8: by Henry (new)

Henry Brown (machinetrooper) | 40 comments Hmm. I immediately think of Operation Barbarossa and subsequent orders by the Bohemian Corporal.

But fiction...drawing a blank.

message 9: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Its an open-ended, speculative question. There is no answer except the ones you supply!

If you want a beatdown then come meet me in the 'Trivia Wiz' thread. Heh heh!

(secret trick: I can be soundly thumped if the subject is modern flicks)

message 10: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Samuel wrote: "Lee Child's Jack Reacher is his own boss and more of a detective/vigilante rather than spy so he doesn't have to take impossible orders from anyone.

Most impossible order I've seen was in a milit..."

Regarding Jack Reacher, I've always been confused why spy/military thrillers compare their characters to him in the blurb, despite him being from a completely different genre.