1984 1984 question

Winston's Wife
Stenedria Stenedria Apr 25, 2015 11:07AM
In the sixth chapter of the first part, Winston writes of in his diary for his last "encounter" with a woman and remembers his wife Katharine.She has no speaking roles in the actual story and no action to the plot. She occurs in a memory. Marriages were only allowed if the couple weren't attracted to each other. No passion was allowed. The only reason marriages exist in this society is to keep the population going so the government can have more workers. I understand that Winston didn't really love Katharine and only married her to do his job to society, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for the woman. She tries to do what government says to do, and Winston had no sympathy for her wishes. The couple separates (separation is legal if the couple has no kids) and Winston doesn't know where she is, how she's doing, or even if she's alive. He has no concern for her. The way love works in this society is weird and puzzle-some at best, but I still feel bad for Katharine.

Yes, this was one of the things that made me doubt if Winston actually loved Julia. I couldn't see how one who seemed to have so little compassion for everyone else, could actually truly love someone.

Stenedria I highly agree. The relationship between Winston and Julia was more like Winston loving to rebel and Julia trying to satisfy her desires.
May 12, 2015 07:14PM · flag
Hannah Cattanach I think that it was Julia who wanted to rebel through her natural state of mind (although that state of mind reduced her from the level of actively ta ...more
May 25, 2015 05:44AM · flag

Stenedria wrote: "In the sixth chapter of the first part, Winston writes of in his diary for his last "encounter" with a woman and remembers his wife Katharine.She has no speaking roles in the actual story and no ac..."

It would be difficult to feel bad for Winston's wife because she has to feel the same way towards Winston, she can't be attracted towards him or love him. Like you said, marriages in Oceania only exist to keep the population growing so the party has more soldiers and workers. And they can only happen if both people have no attraction or feelings for one another. This is to prevent thought crime. So really she probably doesn't think anything of their divorce, it probably didn't phase her whatsoever and she is simply living her life somewhere else.