Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Promotions & Advertisements > Elemental Magic

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Martinez (aj-martinez) | 10 comments Maybe its just me but I do feel like there arent enough fantasy authors out there that write epic fantasy with elemental magic. I am the type of person that loves to see those wizard battles where energy beams collide. Those fantasy books and movies where mystical creatures have epic battles on land and sky.

You know what I am talking about. That Avatar The Last Airbender Feeling. That Final Fantasy feeling of adventure where the real world seems to be a dream and the story is all that matters.

What do you think
http://ajmartinezauthor.com/rift-chao...

message 2: by Wade (new)

Wade Garret | 56 comments On one hand, I agree—it's alot of fun and very cool, but on the other hand, I feel most people are reading Fantasy with a little less magic in it because that kinda world is maybe too over the top. The stuff you're talking about is Very High Magic, like Dragon Lance, the DnD Books, anything within Forgotten Realms or War Hammer.

Also, it's very easy in worlds like that to get too over powered, which is easily found in alot of High Fantasy. I think that's a turn off for many readers after a point.

Saying this, I'm reminded of all the cool yet limited "magic" in my world...so it takes all kinds. Honestly, if some network made a TV show or Movie with much higher magic in it, I bet people would eat it up...I mean, look at GoT; look how many fans it's gotten from the Show who never otherwise would've checked it out.

message 3: by Alan (last edited May 05, 2015 05:19AM) (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 146 comments ! Only just caught up with this discussion (Gmail mailbox made a ****-up of my automatic forwarding rules)
I agree with Wade, the big flashy stuff has its place . . . but there are a lot of people around who prefer weaker, subtle magic - magic without too much power or flashy effects, magic that is interesting but makes the protagonists use their brains as well as screaming spells at each other over smoking wands. Examples? Well, Mary Stewart's Arthurian trilogy (in 4 parts) was BRILLIANT - but Merlin had very little actual magic.
(Wade: I looked at Genesis, didn't like the price for an unfamiliar author, but I have taken an Amazon sample for further investigation. Reciprocation would be appreciated - try Smoke)