Trail-Mix Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
BOTM: Historical Fiction > Nominations--Closed--

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Wren-Wilson | 282 comments Mod
Please place your nominations for historical fiction here.

message 2: by Alan (new)

Alan Stroe | 5 comments Crossing the Eastern Front The True Story of a Teenage SS Volunteer by Alan Stroe

This novel is based on my grandfather's miraculous survival of World War Two. I'd like to nominate it for a future month (don't want to get greedy, since I already have a book selected for June :)).

Kidnapped at gunpoint by a German unit from his village in the heart of Transylvania, a devout teenager is starving to death in a POW camp. The only way out is to join a Romanian Waffen-SS unit. As the Anglo-American and Soviet fronts grip Nazi Germany in an ever-tightening vise, the last months of war find him on the losing side, wearing its most hated uniform.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Wren-Wilson | 282 comments Mod
Alan wrote: "Crossing the Eastern Front The True Story of a Teenage SS Volunteer by Alan Stroe

This novel is based on my grandfather's miraculous survival of World War Two. I'd like to nominate it for ..."

It's not greedy. I didn't know you also wrote historical fiction.

message 4: by Alan (last edited May 02, 2015 06:13PM) (new)

Alan Stroe | 5 comments I'm also planning an Eastern Roman Empire series, telling the story of the last native speakers of Latin in Eastern Europe, and what became of them after the Slavic invasions of the 6th-7th century A.D.

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula Moss (goodreadscompaulacmoss) | 5 comments The Widow's Tale
Please can I nominate my debut novel 'The Widow's Tale'
The story is set against the backdrop of the English Civil War era, between the two great battles of Marston Moor and Naseby......

A tale that has wit, humour, pain and passion told by the heroine in her own words. Seventeen year old war widow Charlotte Hart is the sharp witted narrator of her own tale. She begins the novel full of pain and resentment and stumbles from one near disaster to another, embroiling the endearing and not so Puritanical Parliamentarian Officer Nate Weatherall into her adventures.

The story straddles the two great battles of the English Civil War, beginning in Charlotte's native Yorkshire on the eve of the battle of Marston Moor and ends in the aftermath of the tumultuous battle of Naseby.

The war is a back drop, frustrating Charlotte's attempts to win back her dowry lands from the grasping hands of her dead husbands family but the main action revolves around the growing relationship between Charlotte and Nate. It is no easy ride for either protagonist; at times frustrating, often heartwarming, sometimes scandalous and on occasion laugh out loud funny this is an usual romance in a historical setting, with a refreshingly different heroine.

Not sure of the rules of nomination - do I have to nominate for May?

message 6: by Alan (new)

Alan Stroe | 5 comments Crossing the Eastern Front A Novel Based on the True Story of a Teenage SS Volunteer by Alan Stroe
Just wanted to mention that Crossing the Eastern Front will be under promotional pricing for the next few days:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SY3COK4

message 7: by Sean (new)

Sean Gibson | 1 comments What a great group! I'm not sure if it would be of interest to anyone, but I'd like to nominate The Camelot Shadow as a potential book for the club. It's something of a genre straddler, so it could just as easily by suspense/mystery/thriller as historical fiction. That said, here's a description:

Lord Alfred Fitzwilliam spends each day in much the same way: caring for his terminally ill wife and trying to lose himself in the dusty tomes that fill his library. Everything changes when he receives a visit from a man representing a clandestine organization operating with the backing of Queen Victoria herself. The group seeks his aid in finding an Arthurian artifact that, legend holds, can cure its bearer of any wound or disease.

Skeptical but desperate to help his wife, Alfred is convinced that the fabled item might actually exist after witnessing a seemingly impossible display of power by the organization's leader, James Nigel. He decides to pursue the treasure, accompanied by an eccentric scholar, a deadly druid, and his best friend, a sardonic bookseller who is far more than he seems. As he follows an arcane trail of clues from the gas-lit streets of London to the wilds of Scotland and deep into ancient catacombs in Italy, Alfred becomes enmeshed in a web of hidden agendas, secret societies, and ancient enchantments. Along the way, he learns a dark secret about Nigel’s past—and the true power of the artifact he seeks.

Steeped in a compelling mythology and filled with unexpected twists, The Camelot Shadow will leave readers stunned, breathless, and wrestling with an impossible question: what do you do with an object that has the power to both save the world and destroy it?

Many thanks for the opportunity to suggest the book, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the group is reading in this and other genres!

message 8: by S. (new)

S. (scopperstone) | 2 comments Hello! I'm new to the group and would like to nominate, Bittersweet Tavern. It's a historical fiction which takes place during the beginning of the American Revolution.

Thanks!
Shari

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.