Morales 2341 Spring 2015 Class TTH discussion

52 views
Race, Class, and Culture > It's a New Day- "Everyday Use"

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lillian (new)

Lillian Morales (LillianMorales) | 41 comments Mod
We usually admire a person who rises out of poverty to get an education and better her circumstances, but in this story, the reader does not generally identify with Dee or
sympathize with her. Why not? Do you see Dee as totally unlikable? Do you think those traits that appear to be her shortcomings are actually both common and necessary for someone to progress in life? Should we admire Mama and Maggie who are not willing to change?


message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria Garcia | 57 comments I think that the reader does not identify or sympathize with Dee because Dee seems to come back home and not appreciate the things that were done for her to get an education. It seems as if Dee has change into someone else than the person where she came from.I think Dee is an unlikable because the way she talks and addresses everyone trying to be someone that she is not. Many people that have come from poverty have progressed in life and have not changed their attitudes or are not ashamed where they came from. Mamma and Maggie are happy with what they have and who they are. They are just simple folks. I think Dee should just help her mom and sister financially with anything that they need instead of just taking things from them she is the educated one I am sure that she could afford them. How odd even through she as received an education Dee stills comes back to take the little items that Mamma and Maggie have and use.


message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Perez | 72 comments In the story, "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker I personally feel that Dee or should I say Wangero is not a likable person by her family or the reader. Wangero seems to have forgotten her roots or what her family had done for her to get the education she wanted all her life. I feel that Dee was always the opposite from her family but that doesn't mean that you have to be ignorant and feel above them, just because you have an education. Mamma and Maggie seem contempt with there lifestyles and who they are as people, so why change if they are happy. I believe that some people, mainly the ones that are ashamed of their family or their up brings tend to forget where they came from and who help them get to where they are now in life. For instance, Dee was ashamed of her family, even her named which she changed to Wagnero. Dee is an educated women but acts like a brat when her mother tells her the two quilts are for Maggie. She use too not like them and now she wants to take away the little things that Mama and Maggie appreciated from day one. I just don’t sympathize with Dee.


message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric | 75 comments By Eric De Leon
Dee is not a sympathetic character but to her credit, she isn’t soliciting the reader’s sympathy either. I don’t think she would particularly care what other people thought of her. I don’t happen to find her unlikeable at all. What I can observe is simply a difference of values which is a common family dynamic among parents and children. Maria places value on practicality and Dee places importance on symbolism and meaning. These two views collide during their argument over some handmade quilts that are being bequeathed to her younger sister instead of Dee. “Maggie can’t appreciate these quilts! She said. She’d probably be backwards enough to put them to everyday use. I reckon she would I said, God knows I been saving ‘em for long enough with nobody using ‘em. I hope she will! (66-67)” The most obviously blaring trait on display with regards to Dee is a sense of entitlement. This trait can go both ways. Dee is used to getting what she wants because she isn’t afraid to go after it. It’s “unlikable” in the quilt scenario because she is trying to claim rights to these quilts over her sister who is unquestionably a sympathetic character. While one may judge her harshly for it, it should be noted that both her sister and her mother respect Dee on some level for her indomitable attitude. Everybody feels sympathy for characters like Maria and Maggie, but nobody wants to be them if they have a choice.


message 5: by Arlette.Cortez (new)

Arlette.Cortez | 72 comments As a reader of the story “Everyday Use” by Alice Walker I do admire and generally identify with Dee or should I say Wangero and her circumstances because she has manage to receive and education and even though she is far away she hasn’t forgotten where she came from and her family she evens wants to take a cute memory for her apartment. I must mention that her Arabic boyfriend has helped her a lot as well. Although Dee is a little harsh on her family she is not totally unlikable because she still has some traits that are actually both common and necessary for someone to progress in life. For example, she is not shy like her younger sister and she is not afraid of a life changing experience. That is one of the reasons I did not admire Mama and Maggie who are not willing to change because that shows no motivation of someone who wants to rise out of poverty.


message 6: by Jesus M (new)

Jesus M Manzanares | 64 comments In the story of "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker, the reader does not generally identify with Dee or sympathize with her because she is ashamed of her family that is why in paragraph 14 they say that "She wrote me once that no matter where we choose to live, she will manage to come see us. But will never bring her friends" this is what makes Dee unlikeable in the story because no one should be ashamed of their parents and sibling just because they are not wealthy. I see Dee as totally unlikeable because since she has a college education and is living a good life she is ashamed of her family because they are poor. I believe that the traits that appear to be her shortcomings are not actually both common and necessary for someone to progress in life because to progress in life you do not have to change your attitude. I believe that we should not admire mama and Maggie because they are not trying to progress in life and someone that is poor is not going to have the option to change. I find all the characters on this story unlikable because mama and Maggie do not even try to improve their social status after their house burned down and Dee is arrogant because she has a college education which makes her thinks that she is better than her mom and sister.


message 7: by Jesus (new)

Jesus Medina | 37 comments In the story “Everyday Use” by Alice Walker Dee I believe Dee is not likable. Everyone wants a better life and we have to work hard to get it, but we must not forget where we came from. In the story Dee was given the opportunity to go to college and she did take advantage of it. But to me it seems that she is ashamed of from where she came from. Many people come from poor situations and better themselves, but are not ashamed of their background, it just shows the work they put to get to where they are. Other people don’t want to remember of where they came from and are ashamed of it. They want to pretend that they always had the good life. Dee goes back home just to take things from her mother and sister, instead of helping them. It appears that the mother and Maggie don’t ask Dee for anything they are fine with what they have and are proud of Dee. In the other hand Dee is ashamed of them and only wants to take from them.


message 8: by Yuri (new)

Yuri Sandoval | 64 comments In the story “Everyday Use” Dee is unpleasant because she acts in a derogatory manner towards her mother and sister just because they are poor. Most people who make it out of poverty are more humane because they know of the sad and unfortunate living circumstances. In this case, Dee is very selfish and arrogant when she visits her needy family. Instead of helping her mother and sister by providing for them she goes and tries to take the little of what they have. She wants to take a quilt made by her grandmother and mother which is made of tops and dresses so she can hang on the wall like souvenirs or collectibles of her heritage. Her mother does not let her take it because she had promised it to Maggie and knows that the quilt means a lot more to Maggie than to Dee. Dee insults her mother and sister in many ways without even realizing it because of her impudent ways. It was so offensive of her taking pictures of her Mother and Sister like if she was a tourist or an archaeologist would for National Geographic. For this reason I do see Dee very unlikable. How unpleasant it is for Mama and Maggie to have Dee visiting. The mother even daydreams appearing in a TV show fulfilling an appearance she would like to have for her daughter. In the 2nd par. it mentions how uncomfortable Maggie feels with her sister’s visit, “Maggie will be nervous until after her sister goes: she will stand hopelessly in corners, homely and ashamed of the burn scars down her arms and legs, eyeing her sister with a mixture of envy and awe.” It is unbelievable the way Dee treats her family telling them she hopes one day they change their ways. Maggie and Mama are to be admired because they have had a hard life and have a greater caring heart than Dee who is superior, pretty, light skin, educated, but with a black heart. Dee’s way of changing her name to Wangero and her Ghanian greeting is a superficial attempt to bury a pass she despises.


message 9: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Trevino | 37 comments Although Dees character in “Everyday Use” can be admired for bettering herself, getting an education, and rising above poverty. These accomplishments quickly become overlooked by her family, the community, and the reader due to her lack of gratitude towards her family and church for essentially getting her there by raising the money needed to pay for her education. It’s an ugly characteristic of the character Dee which leads to her mother realizing she will never get the gratitude she longs for from her daughter, but always had from her other daughter Maggie. It ultimately leads too Maggie getting the quilts because her mother valued their emotional relationship more than the one Dee never tried to have with her. Dee in short became stuck up and ashamed of her humble roots which I don’t think is necessary at all for her or anyone to progress in life, but I also don’t think Mama and Maggie should be admired for their stagnancies in economic, and educational development.


message 10: by Yadira (new)

Yadira Estrada | 48 comments In the story, “Everyday Use” by Alice Walker I believe Dee well Wangero in an unlikeable person because of the way she is. She forgot where she came from and it shouldn’t be like that. She is selfish, stuck up and heartless when she go sees her “low income” family. She had the chance to become better but we can’t forget where we came from and who was there when we needed the most. I do kind of see myself as Dee but in the other hand I’m not embarrassed of my family. I see how her sister and her mom are so proud of her that she has progress and become someone that they don’t ask her for anything in return. It’s just sad how she had to go to the extreme to even change her name I’m guessing she wanted to be someone new.It shouldn't be that way. People admire someone more who are not selfish and who are not ashamed of their family you look at the as a role model.


message 11: by Erick (new)

Erick Adrian  Lopez | 55 comments On the story we meet an educated and refine women with the name of Dee, who now wishes to be called Wangero. Thanks to her mother she now has become an educated woman, but she seem to be ungrateful at her. She only sees her mother as the uneducated woman that she is and nothing more. It sees that she feels ashamed of being part of that family and don’t want anyone to really know her family. Now that she is an educated woman does not feel part of their old traditional family. She feel refine and dresses well now that she has money. She acts like if her relative where privileged to be related to her, she is too good to be part of their family now. She often see her mother and her sister as low class people and I don’t even thing that she sees them as her family now. To me it look that she is doing a charity action when she visit them. Looking all nice and rich to them that she does not even takes a picture with them. That was not nice to me. From my prospective, her sister should have been the one with education and not her. She does not really deserve her mother hard working and sacrifice for her to go to school. She should instead , help her and her sister to build a better future together. Maybe helping her sister to go to college so both can help her mother. It does not have to end that way.


message 12: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 60 comments I believe Dee in "Everyday Use" shouldn't be marked as likable or unlikable. She decided to take a different rout and go to school, it can be seen as if she works for what she wants and doesn't settle for less. On the other hand, mama and Maggie don't want to change. They are okay with their lives and there's nothing wrong with that, but who doesn't want to be better in life? I truly think the changes Dee made really changed her as the way she is, she has seen knew things and learn a lot also. All those new things she has learned will shape her into another person, either for worse or good. When they were arguing about the quilt, i kind of didn't like her. I believe the quilt is a gift and shouldn't be fought for, if the mama wants to give it to Maggie then she should just do it. Mama shouldn't listen to Dee just because she has done more in her life, and knows how to get what she wants.


message 13: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert Salinas (GilbertAngelo) | 47 comments In the story “Everyday Use” by Alice Walker, I think personally that it might seem disrespectful to Mama and Maggie when in reality it’s not. I feel that because Dee acquired her education she herself is evolving as a person with new ways of thinking and carrying herself that is different from Mama and Maggie. I feel its two complete different styles of thinking, ole school and new school we can say for lack of better words, but I think that it is very important for Dee to evolve and help her family understand the new educated perspective of things that Mama and Maggie have a hard time accepting and supporting because they are not ready for the change or maybe incapable of thinking like Dee.


message 14: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Gonzalez | 25 comments In the story "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker, I can see why the reader can have a hard time sympathizing for Dee because of her attitude towards her mother and sister. "She wrote me once that no matter where we choose to live, she will manage to come see us. But will never bring her friends" Dee is embarrassed of her family. She is a flashy college student daughter who shows off how great she is doing. She is not about to acknowledge her mothers contribution to her life. She has always used her education to put her mother down. She forgets that the church gathered money up too help send her to college, so she does owe a lot to her mother and the community. But thankfulness is not part of Dee's makeup. Instead showing off and looking good and being part of whats in style right now is Dee's story. Dee comes home so that she can take pictures and artifacts away from her home that give her credibility as a women who has come up from nothing.
I find it a bit hard to sympathize on the mother and Maggie because of their unwillingness to change. But in the end, the Mother makes her own decisions and she obviously cares more about keeping her tradition/ heritage and caring for her daughters.


message 15: by Jaqueline (new)

Jaqueline Chapa | 71 comments With the mentality that one should never forget their upbringings or where they come from, I originally sympathized with Mama and Maggie and found Dee rather unlikable. However, as I continued to read, I realized Dee is misunderstood. Dee has gone off to get an education. Now that's she's returned for a visit, wearing "loud" clothing and using a new name, Mama and Maggie see Dee as someone different than them, as if she's detached herself from them. She's seen as bratty, as we see when Dee asks to keep some quilts which have already been promised to Maggie, and she protests that Maggie won't appreciate them like she will. It's not without reason that Mama and Maggie see Dee this way. We're told by Dee's mother that "Dee wanted nice things" and that when she offered her some of the same quilts, she responded that they were "old-fashioned and out of style." Now, however, Dee says to Mama and Maggie "You just don't understand . . . Your heritage" and "It's really a new day for us." That's when I realized Dee was completely misunderstood. When Dee requested to be called by her new name "Wangero Leewanika Kemanjo," she said "I couldn't bear it any longer being named after the people who oppress me." Dee has gone out into the real world to get an education and, considering the time period, has returned feeling empowered as a woman of color. She feels proud of her heritage and wants to plant the same pride in her mother and sister. She's not abandoning her upbringings, she's finding herself in her culture.


message 16: by Janetrendon (new)

Janetrendon | 70 comments After reading “Everyday Use”, by Alice Walker I came to find that “Mama”, did the best she could do in raising her children this story is very touching to me. Considering I am very close with my mom, and I wouldn’t ever come across her in the way that Dee came across her mother. When reading about the day dream that Mama is having about a television show where Dee will accept her lovingly and willingly I was in awe this only shows the type of character that Dee has towards her family. I do not sympathize with Dee or become fond of her in the story because she can come off as stuck up and very inconsiderate towards her little and only family she even renames herself as “Wangero”. I do not see Dee as completely un likeable , because she actually did go and educate herself enough to rise out of her situation be at the same time I dislike her because, she treats her family as peasants , and she thinks she’s better than them and in this world , just because you have a lot money and an education doesn’t necessarily mean you are a better person than anyone who doesn’t. No, I do not think that those traits are something needed to progress in life, Dee should of been more compassionate towards her mom and sister because that is all she has at the end of the day that is all you have is your family. I don’t think Maggie and Mama should be admired for not wanting to better themselves, well atleast Maggie, because I’m sure Maggie if she wanted to she could have educated herself instead of being so shy and guarded by her mama.


message 17: by Miguel (new)

Miguel | 42 comments I admire Dee (Wangero) in the story "Everyday Use" and I don't think she is totally an unlikable character because she got out of poverty and chased after what she wanted. She is not a bad person because she still see's her family but she was ambitious. Maybe she had different values that might be considered bad for her mother and Maggie, but she definitely was not comfortable with her life and those values helped her to pursue a new life. Before her education, she did not appreciate. Now that she is educated and has more knowledge, she recognizes where she comes from and can now see the value of her heritage. "Maggie can't appreciate this quilts". "But they are priceless". These two quotes demonstrate how Wangero sees the worth of her past life and heritage, now that she is educate, in the work of those quilts. Before she did not appreciate what she had like Maggie and her mother. Maggie and her mother where comfortable with the way they are living but that turns out to be a bad trait for Wangero because they will keep being ignorant to the knowledge there is out there.


message 18: by Christa (new)

Christa Lopez | 24 comments After reading this story it seems that the reader cannot truly identify with Dee because this story is not told from her point of view. All we know is what her mother is saying about her personality--not to say that these things are necessarily false--and her appearance. It is obvious that both Dee and her family seems to be misunderstood by each other. Her mother and sister are very much stuck in their ways while Dee has gone off to college & opened her mind to a more worldly way of thinking. That being said, no I do not think that Dee is a totally unlikable character. In fact I think that the main reason that her character is irritating to people because her attitude might come off as a little bit stuck up to her family, but only because they have never really been able to connect with Dee and her way of thinking. I think that if this story were told in Dee's perspective we as readers would be able to understand what she is really thinking while she is with her family, and then maybe we would be able to identify her as being a likable character or not.


message 19: by ChristinaMarie (new)

ChristinaMarie Kiesert | 59 comments In “Everyday use” by Alice Walker, I can definitely see why the reader or myself would not sympathize with Dee in this story or generally identify with her. She thinks she is better than her own mother and sister just because she has an education. She has obviously forgotten where she came from and has forgotten the family she has who were there for her. Mama and Maggie are both content with their life style and have learned to appreciate the small things. Dee is even ashamed of being named after her grandmother, which in my opinion is very crucial.
“No mama, not Dee.” “what happened to Dee?” I wanted to know. “She’s dead.” Wangero said. “I couldn’t bear it any longer, being named after the people who oppress me.” With this being said, it just shows who Dee is now and how she thinks about her background. Also, deceased family members made the quilts out of their clothing. Mama was going to give them to Maggie in memory of her family background but Dee wants to keep them. Before Dee didn’t care to have them or not, and now she just wants to be a spoiled jerk and take them away from Maggie. Dee shouldn’t be this way because yes she did get an education and all but she shouldn’t be this way with her family because thanks to her mother, she is where she is today.


message 20: by Perla (new)

Perla Pantoja | 17 comments In the story Everyday Use, Dee is the daughter who has gotten an education thanks to her parents. She moves away and later comes back to visits. Dee is a character that is very conceited .When she was little she hated the house they used to live, and would always make people feel less of them. The mother says how she thought that Dee hated Maggie before they paid her education. When she comes back I think she values more her heritage but is still very conceited. When she is leaving she says, “You ought to try to make something of yourself, too, Maggie. It’s really a new day for us. But from the way you and Mama still live you’ll never know it.” I think it is not necessary to have those traits to progress in life. Maybe she wants them to progress, but there is other polite ways to say it. I think her traits are unnecessary because she has only progressed because of her parent’s effort. She is totally unlikable for me because she is to arrogant .Maybe we shouldn’t admire them because they do need a change, but they do a lot of hard work and still manage to live happy


message 21: by Eric (new)

Eric Campos | 19 comments The reader to me does not sympathize with Dee because she isn't familiar with her new ways. She is use to her old ways and enjoys it that way. Dee is use to the new ways of the world and the new beginning African Americans have earned. The reader on the other hand isn't educated and lives out in the country. These new changes are very unfamiliar and come off as uneasy to her. People are hesitant to change and some don't approve of it but it's not grounds to not like someone because of it. As far as admiring Maggie and her mom for keep their traditions, I personally feel you should never forget where you come from but people need to evolve. They need to be better than what they came from or better than what surrounds them.


message 22: by Maria (new)

Maria Garcia | 57 comments Jesus wrote: "In the story “Everyday Use” by Alice Walker Dee I believe Dee is not likable. Everyone wants a better life and we have to work hard to get it, but we must not forget where we came from. In the stor..."
Hey Jesus I agree with your view in this story. Dee seems to have blocked where she is from and is ashamed because like it was mentioned in the story that Dee never had any of her friends over. She should be proud because her mom gave her the opportunity to have an education and become someone.


message 23: by Jesus (new)

Jesus Medina | 37 comments Maria wrote: "I think that the reader does not identify or sympathize with Dee because Dee seems to come back home and not appreciate the things that were done for her to get an education. It seems as if Dee has..."

I agree with you even if she is educated an now has an open mind she should still me more appreciative towards her mother. Just because she is educated does not mean she can talk down to people and pretend something that she is not.


message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Perez | 72 comments Yuri wrote: "In the story “Everyday Use” Dee is unpleasant because she acts in a derogatory manner towards her mother and sister just because they are poor. Most people who make it out of poverty are more human..."

Yuri, you have a great point of view. I like how you use tourist on Dee when she is taking pictures of her mother, Maggie and the house. Even though I am proud that Dee got an education, I feel that she has not learned anything because she criticizes her family and their way of leaving.


message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Perez | 72 comments Arlette.Cortez wrote: "As a reader of the story “Everyday Use” by Alice Walker I do admire and generally identify with Dee or should I say Wangero and her circumstances because she has manage to receive and education and..."

Even though I admire Dee for getting an education, I don't like the way she treats her family. Yes, she does visit them but has a tone of being more educated and has forgotten her roots and how her family helped her to get where she is now.


message 26: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Gonzalez | 25 comments Alexa wrote: "Although Dees character in “Everyday Use” can be admired for bettering herself, getting an education, and rising above poverty. These accomplishments quickly become overlooked by her family, the co..."

Alexa, I see your point of view on Dee and I couldnt agree more. She forgot that the church and her mother were the ones that made her success possible. The mom wishes that Dee would acknowledge her contribution but Dee does not.


message 27: by Maria (new)

Maria Garcia | 57 comments Eric wrote: "The reader to me does not sympathize with Dee because she isn't familiar with her new ways. She is use to her old ways and enjoys it that way. Dee is use to the new ways of the world and the new be..."
Hey Eric, I agree with you in some ways but people should never forget where they came from and just because they are educated does not make them better than their own mother and sister.Dee should be proud of where she came from and should be grateful for the sacrifices that her mom did for her to get an education.


message 28: by Janetrendon (new)

Janetrendon | 70 comments Eric wrote: "The reader to me does not sympathize with Dee because she isn't familiar with her new ways. She is use to her old ways and enjoys it that way. Dee is use to the new ways of the world and the new be..."
Hello , Erick I see what you mean on not everyone can just go out and educate themselves and I guess Dee isn't all to blame she actually made something of herself but the way she is towards her mom and sister is unacceptable. I agree with you on how people need to evolve and become something better than yesterday if you have the Opportunity why not take it again I'm sure Maggie could of gone off to college to make something of herself too yet she didn't.


message 29: by Janetrendon (new)

Janetrendon | 70 comments Jesus M wrote: "In the story of "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker, the reader does not generally identify with Dee or sympathize with her because she is ashamed of her family that is why in paragraph 14 they say that..."

Jesus, I defiantly agree with you no one should be asked of their family the dee was I wouldn't ever be ashamed of where I came from. I also see what you mean in the sense that non of these characters should be admired Dee's values are all backwards , mama, and Maggie's are to instead of bettering themselves they stay in the same position if not worse.


message 30: by Arlette.Cortez (new)

Arlette.Cortez | 72 comments ChristinaMarie wrote: "In “Everyday use” by Alice Walker, I can definitely see why the reader or myself would not sympathize with Dee in this story or generally identify with her. She thinks she is better than her own mo..."

I would have to disagree with your opinion Christina, I don’t see Dee as a bad person at all although she does somethings that are a bit wrong in your eyes I don’t think she does it with bad intentions. You also have to understand and put yourself in Dee’s shoes she is educated and is a bit more opened minded now which leads her to see things differently. Unlike you Christina I do identify myself in some ways with Dee specially because we are the first generation of our family that went to college.


message 31: by Arlette.Cortez (new)

Arlette.Cortez | 72 comments Janetrendon wrote: "After reading “Everyday Use”, by Alice Walker I came to find that “Mama”, did the best she could do in raising her children this story is very touching to me. Considering I am very close with my mo..."

I do kind of agree with you Janet, I like how you mention that Dee is not totally unlikeable because she did go off to college and is trying to better herself. The thing I don’t agree with you is when you say that Dee is stuck up and very inconsiderate because I don’t think she is doing it on purpose I just think that since she has been away from her home for so long some of her view have change and she isn’t as humble anymore. Which is totally understandable because a college experience well always open your eyes and will make you see thing differently.


message 32: by Jesus M (new)

Jesus M Manzanares | 64 comments Jaqueline wrote: "With the mentality that one should never forget their upbringings or where they come from, I originally sympathized with Mama and Maggie and found Dee rather unlikable. However, as I continued to r..."

hi Jaqueline i agree with your statement about the story because at first the reader does not like Dee. The story is being told in the first person(the mom) so we only see the perspective that the mother wants us to see.


message 33: by Jesus M (new)

Jesus M Manzanares | 64 comments Perla wrote: "In the story Everyday Use, Dee is the daughter who has gotten an education thanks to her parents. She moves away and later comes back to visits. Dee is a character that is very conceited .When she ..."

Hi Perla, i enjoyed reading your statement about the story. In my opinion i believe that Dee was just a misunderstood character in the story just because she was more knowledgeable than Maggie and Dee. She wanted a piece of her history, that is why she wanted to take the quilt.


message 34: by Yadira (new)

Yadira Estrada | 48 comments Gilbert wrote: "In the story “Everyday Use” by Alice Walker, I think personally that it might seem disrespectful to Mama and Maggie when in reality it’s not. I feel that because Dee acquired her education she her..."
Gilbert, I see where you are coming from but still it doesn't give Dee a reason to be like that with her family. It is sad that shes ashamed of them. If Dee would talk to her mom and maggie maybe it would be different story. She needs to tell them how she feels and make help them grow be different and educated.


message 35: by Yadira (new)

Yadira Estrada | 48 comments Jaime wrote: "In the story "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker, I can see why the reader can have a hard time sympathizing for Dee because of her attitude towards her mother and sister. "She wrote me once that no mat..."

Jaime, I totally agree with you on how Dee needs to be grateful to her mother and the church community because of them Dee wouldn't be anything. She is educated and has a career but she needs to know where she came from to make her humble. I understand her mother I see a lot of people like that and its a shame.


message 36: by Erick (new)

Erick Adrian  Lopez | 55 comments Maria wrote: "I think that the reader does not identify or sympathize with Dee because Dee seems to come back home and not appreciate the things that were done for her to get an education. It seems as if Dee has..."

She is very unlikable to me, she shows no respect for her mother after all she has done for her. it is true that she has gotten out of poverty but that does not means that she has to miss respect her family like she does, even do it may not be intentional.


message 37: by Erick (new)

Erick Adrian  Lopez | 55 comments Miguel wrote: "I admire Dee (Wangero) in the story "Everyday Use" and I don't think she is totally an unlikable character because she got out of poverty and chased after what she wanted. She is not a bad person b..."
From what read, she does not visits her family vary often. it look that she only goes and visit them because feel obligated. i don't think that she wishes to be withe them anymore. she does feel part of them anymore now that she is a educated woman.


message 38: by ChristinaMarie (new)

ChristinaMarie Kiesert | 59 comments Miguel wrote: "I admire Dee (Wangero) in the story "Everyday Use" and I don't think she is totally an unlikable character because she got out of poverty and chased after what she wanted. She is not a bad person b..."

Hello Miguel, I don't think I can agree with you on this post because you might think she is not a bad person but I think otherwise. She was very rude to her sister and to her mother. To me she seemed very stuck up. And I don't think she should forget where she came from.


message 39: by ChristinaMarie (new)

ChristinaMarie Kiesert | 59 comments Jessica wrote: "In the story, "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker I personally feel that Dee or should I say Wangero is not a likable person by her family or the reader. Wangero seems to have forgotten her roots or wha..."

Hey Jessica, I agree with you because I also believe she is an unlikeable character in this story. She shows no respect to her family and thinks she is above them just because she has an education. Just because she became successful, she shouldn't treat her family this way nor want to change her name because it just shows her true colors of being embarrassed of them.


message 40: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo Mendez | 63 comments Maria wrote: "I think that the reader does not identify or sympathize with Dee because Dee seems to come back home and not appreciate the things that were done for her to get an education. It seems as if Dee has..."

Hey Maria, I agree with I think the thing I disliked the most about Dee was how entitled she felt to something that was promised to someone else. If the quilts where as priceless as she felt they were she should've offered to buy them or at least try to make them understand how priceless they are.



message 41: by Eric (new)

Eric | 75 comments Gilbert wrote: "In the story “Everyday Use” by Alice Walker, I think personally that it might seem disrespectful to Mama and Maggie when in reality it’s not. I feel that because Dee acquired her education she her..."
Hello Gilbert. I agree on your point that it is more about clashing perspective rather than "this person is right" or "this person is wrong." More out of the box, critical thinking needs to be exercised.


message 42: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo Mendez | 63 comments Janetrendon wrote: "After reading “Everyday Use”, by Alice Walker I came to find that “Mama”, did the best she could do in raising her children this story is very touching to me. Considering I am very close with my mo..."

I think that Dee's family feels left out and abandoned. She left and comes back a different person who they barely know and they feel left out of her life.


message 43: by Eric (new)

Eric | 75 comments Jaqueline wrote: "With the mentality that one should never forget their upbringings or where they come from, I originally sympathized with Mama and Maggie and found Dee rather unlikable. However, as I continued to r..."
Bravo! It was a pleasure reading your thoughts on all of these stories this semester. Thank you for helping to keep me sane. Once again, I agree with your assessment and analysis of Dee's actions and motivations.


message 44: by Jaqueline (new)

Jaqueline Chapa | 71 comments Christa wrote: "After reading this story it seems that the reader cannot truly identify with Dee because this story is not told from her point of view. All we know is what her mother is saying about her personalit..."

Christa! Although I did relate to Dee, I like that you mention that we can't identify or sympathize with her because we're only seeing her from her mother's point of view. I think it's important to realize that it's a very subjective look at her character.


message 45: by Miguel (new)

Miguel | 42 comments Perla wrote: "In the story Everyday Use, Dee is the daughter who has gotten an education thanks to her parents. She moves away and later comes back to visits. Dee is a character that is very conceited .When she ..."

Perla I disagree with how you view her as a conceited character. I see her as a confident character and just because she doesn't talk politely to her mother and sister doesn't mean she thinks she is superior than them. That sounded realistic for me but neither polite nor insulting. I do agree with you that after her education she has more knowledge of her culture and now appreciates it.


message 46: by Jaqueline (new)

Jaqueline Chapa | 71 comments Jessica wrote: "In the story, "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker I personally feel that Dee or should I say Wangero is not a likable person by her family or the reader. Wangero seems to have forgotten her roots or wha..."

Hey Jessica. Your view of Dee is completely opposite to mine. I really don't think Dee was abandoning her upbringings. She's gone off to college and returned more open-minded, more progressive. She says to Maggie that it's a new day for them because she wants her to know that black women can finally be much more than what their oppression had allowed them to be. Maybe Dee was ashamed of her roots when she was younger. But her changing her name is no indication of that because her new name is actually a more cultural one. She's older now and she's proven that she wants to connect with her roots.


message 47: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert Salinas (GilbertAngelo) | 47 comments Eric wrote: "By Eric De Leon
Dee is not a sympathetic character but to her credit, she isn’t soliciting the reader’s sympathy either. I don’t think she would particularly care what other people thought of her. ..."


I agree, it is hard to accept Dee's behavior but her intentions are in the best interest for preserving her family's authentic culture.


message 48: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert Salinas (GilbertAngelo) | 47 comments Joanna wrote: "I believe Dee in "Everyday Use" shouldn't be marked as likable or unlikable. She decided to take a different rout and go to school, it can be seen as if she works for what she wants and doesn't set..."

I agree, Dee should have approached the situation differently but i think the point was that preservation of her culture is better then using the artifacts until they are no longer valuable.


message 49: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 60 comments Erick wrote: "On the story we meet an educated and refine women with the name of Dee, who now wishes to be called Wangero. Thanks to her mother she now has become an educated woman, but she seem to be ungrateful..."

Erick, I agree with you. Dee shows not one bit of respect to her mother or sister, neither does she show happiness of seeing them again. Education can change you a lot but family is family, and I believe the least thing she could have done is be thankful to them.


message 50: by Yuri (new)

Yuri Sandoval | 64 comments Eric wrote: "By Eric De Leon
Dee is not a sympathetic character but to her credit, she isn’t soliciting the reader’s sympathy either. I don’t think she would particularly care what other people thought of her. ..."

Eric DL good point of view, there is a difference of values among the parent and child. I also like how you mention that Dee isn't afraid to go after she wants. It’s true if not she would had never change her poor way of living to the life she has now.


« previous 1
back to top