Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > Has a film version messed up or nailed a favorite book?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Benjamin (last edited Apr 25, 2015 01:45AM) (new)

Benjamin Kuttner | 10 comments Have the scenes you created in your imagination forever changed when a book you love was made into a film?

Not great: The Da Vinci Code.
I thought Tom Hanks was not the right casting so now when I think of the Da Vinci Code I see him as Robert Langdon. (Before I saw the film my imagination cooked up a kind of academic Indiana Jones who doesn't get into fights and chase much excitement)

Great outcome: The Lord of the Rings.
The way these films were made was so perfect it pretty much improved on what I had in my head after reading the books.

message 2: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) The Lovely Bones film ruined book. Made too sweet to keep age rating down and lost ghostly air

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) | 340 comments The Percy Jackson movie. All that's the same between the books and the movie are the names of the characters and the main main plot (the lightning being stolen), but everything else? Changed. Almost nothing in the book made it into the movie, and basically nothing in the movie was ever in the book. They even changed the age, personalities, and appearance of the main characters for crying out loud!
The entire thing makes me furious!

message 4: by Rida (new)

Rida Yes I agree with Jessica about the Percy Jackson movies! I would also like to add The Book Thief and The Mortal Instrument.

I absolutely loved The Book Thief novel but I could not watch more than 30 minutes of the movie. The more I watched the movie, the less interested I was becoming in the story.

Also, even though I did not enjoy The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones book a lot. I just feel the movie was terrible. The acting and their choice of actors as well as the way it was filmed just did not work for me.

Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann* The film adaptation of The Dark is Rising (The Dark is Rising, #2) by Susan Cooper was horrendous, it was like having my childhood trampled on, they changed everything

message 6: by BR (new)

BR Kingsolver (brkingsolver) | 36 comments The current release Far from the Madding Crowd from a Thomas Hardy book. Far from the Madding Crowd  by Thomas Hardy

I thought they absolutely nailed the feeling of the book and the cinematography was wonderful. A beautiful movie.

And I concur on LOTR.

message 7: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Ullrich (jkullrich) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. My favorite HP book and a favorite in its own right, but I thought the movie version was the weakest of all eight franchise films. It just didn't capture the atmosphere of the story and oversimplified too many important plot points. Plus I just wasn't feeling Gary Oldman as Sirius. I had my fingers crossed for Sean Bean!

I echo the sentiments on LOTR. It's one of the few examples where I thought the film not only did justice to the book, it actually improved upon it in many respects.

message 8: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Ullrich (jkullrich) Claire wrote: "The film adaptation of The Dark is Rising (The Dark is Rising, #2) by Susan Cooper was horrendous, it was like having my childhood trampled on, they changed everything "

After seeing the trailer, I couldn't even bring myself to see the movie. It looked nothing at all like the book! And it's such a great story, why not do a more direct adaptation? It continues to mystify me how Hollywood can take a simple, wonderful story and distort it beyond all recognition.

message 9: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Kuttner | 10 comments Life of Pi - the movie was amazing. This was supposed to be the unfilmable book. I think both the book and movie stand together as two brilliant works.

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita (neet413) | 83 comments It's probably been mentioned here before, as the film was a complete hack job, but one of my favorite Stephen King books was Dreamcatcher by Stephen King Dreamcatcher and the after watching the movie I just wanted to cry.

message 11: by Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann* (last edited Jul 20, 2015 12:05PM) (new)

Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann* J.K. wrote: After seeing the trailer, I could..."

That was a good choice, I think they tried to modernise it but the just destroyed the whole story, they changed the names, the ages, the nationalities, the time period, the plot, they removed the mythology behind the series, some of the main characters (the Lady being one), the motivation the subtlety of light and dark/good and bad ect. (I probably could go on but I might start crying) It felt like they asked what makes this story so wonderful and then made sure they removed it.

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark (madrigale_11) I think the mess-ups are the rule rather than the exception, especially of late. LOTR is a great exception.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I thought that the movie version of The Great Gatsby was well-done. I found the book a little bit dry, but the film was modernized in a great way.

Not great? The Hobbit. I HATE how different the book and film versions are. There are too many variances to count, and that drives me crazy!

message 14: by Tyrolin (new)

Tyrolin (httpwwwgoodreadscomtyrthunder) I was devastated when I saw The Giver. It ruined my all time favourite book.

I thought Lemony Snicket was good. Different, but I still enjoyed it.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 7 comments Gone Girl I feel like the movie version murdered this book! I don't watch too many movies of books that I've read because I feel like they always leave out so much important detail. City of Bones was one movie that I saw that inspired me to read this entire book series. But the book series was definitely much much better than the movie

message 16: by Zouagie (new)

Zouagie | 15 comments The Thirteenth Tale Favorite book of all time and the film did no JUSTICE.

So many things were out of order and most of them didn't even feel like they were trying. I was so disappointed and disgusted because I know that it would have worked out better.

There was no emotion put into that movie and wasn't nearly long enough to satisfy the need. UGH if only... :(

message 17: by Grace (new)

Grace Baggins The film Eragon had me in such high hopes, and the first half I was being very flexible but by the end I hated the adaption. The Giver movie was actually really good and the ending I daresay might have been better than the books ending.

message 18: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Kuttner | 10 comments I don't usually go for 'finding yourself' books like Eat, Pray, Love but it is so honest and funny it's worth a look. The author knows she is full of self pity and angst but can look at herself and laugh at her own ridiculousness and at life in general. The movie on the other hand missed the mark and Julia Roberts didn't really nail Liz Gilbert's character or even look like her for that matter. I wouldn't say don't see the movie, but definitely read the book first!

message 19: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (lydiaventi) Grace wrote: "The film Eragon had me in such high hopes, and the first half I was being very flexible but by the end I hated the adaption. The Giver movie was actually really good and t..."

I agree, generally i prefer the book to the film, but it was The Giver film that made me read the book and I was kind of disappointed about the ending in the book.

message 20: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Whittemore | 10 comments The book Thief. Nothing could really compare to how the book was structured as told by deaths point of view. :/

message 21: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) Tom Cruise as the 6'10" Jack Reacher - I mean!

message 22: by Anita (new)

Anita (neet413) | 83 comments The fact that someone even tried to interpret Dreamcatcher into a movie surprises me. The book was great, and the film was just plain horrible. I couldn't imagine someone who hadn't read the book enjoying the movie, so much was left out.

message 23: by Lenita (new)

Lenita Sheridan I remember one book I read that was exactly like the movie and that was Robin Cook's Coma.

message 24: by Philip (new)

Philip Dodd (philipdodd) | 2 comments The film version of the novel The Go-Between by L.P. Hartley nailed the book very well, I thought, and I liked the haunting piano tune which was its theme music.

The Go-Between by L.P. Hartley

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 82 comments Unfortunately, I watched "Interview with the Vampire" before reading the book by Anne Rice... The movie & the book were totally different, which made getting thru the book a challenge.

Also, on the comment of HP... Filmmakers also butchered "HP & The Half Blood Prince", seeing as they never addressed the purpose of the title in the movie.

I think all Hunger Games movies were done really well & held true to the trilogy.

message 26: by L.R. (new)

L.R. Hughes The Constant Gardener

The movie was brilliant, as was the book. A suspense novel with a conscience.

message 27: by Faith (new)

Faith McKay (faithmckay) | 26 comments Sarah wrote: "Unfortunately, I watched "Interview with the Vampire" before reading the book by Anne Rice... The movie & the book were totally different, which made getting thru the book a challenge.

Also, on th..."

I agree with everything you said! I loved The Hunger Games movies!

I know a lot of people are saying they enjoyed the movie for The Giver better, but I agree with the original person to bring it up, I love that book and didn't appreciate the changes. I didn't hate the movie but it felt meh to me--disconnected.

message 28: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Norfield (ajnorfield) | 38 comments Into the wild! Both the book and movie are excellent, though slightly different.

message 29: by John (new)

John Lefevere (johnlefevere) | 20 comments Philip wrote: "Tom Cruise as the 6'10" Jack Reacher - I mean!"

Absolutely right, although I think Reacher is closer to 6'6" in the books. In the books, the bad guys will back off because Reacher is so imposing - but Cruise is shorter than most, so where is that intimidation factor?

The strange thing about the selection of Cruise is that Lee Child went along with it. Although it's hard to think of who else would have been considered, seems to me even using former NFL star Howie Long would have been truer to character. Thoughts?