HAPPILY EVER AFTER discussion

ROMANCE BOOKS BY THEMES > Love Triangle

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 1164 comments Mod
Hello everyone, please let's discuss those Romance books that are based on the theme: 

"Love Triangle

Thanks...! :-) 

message 2: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments Hi
My name is eugene and i have been reading for over 50 years.
I have read lots of different kinds of books and right now i am reading romance suspence. Some heve been love triangles and i have noticed that the authors have a double standard in regards to the male characters in the books and iwonder why?
I also dont understand the concept of turning the heroine into a tramp to pick the guy.
I have asked authors these questions but they wont answer,so i would like to hear what others think.
I have always been of the mindset that the good guy wins in the end but in these books he seems to lose out or get strung along making the heroine look worse to me.
Thank you

message 3: by Ramla Zareen (last edited Nov 01, 2019 02:42AM) (new)

Well, I have to admit, I'm not a fan of prolonged love triangles, more specifically, stories where one of the protagonists, usually the heroine, spends most of the book (and sometimes most of the series) agonising over two guys. 

If one guy is good and the other is clearly unworthy and still she goes on and on and on trying to decide between them—well, I'm sure you can figure out my state of mind. (Unless, maybe, the unworthy guy is really good at hiding his flaws). And if, even after pages and pages of deliberation, she chooses the unworthy guy—okay, let's not even go there. Lol.

If both guys are great, I have to hold myself back from getting attached to them (in case I end up rooting for the wrong guy). And if I can't let myself love the characters (or root for them), I can't enjoy the story. 

However, if I do end up loving the guys (or rooting for one of them), I feel so bad for the guy the heroine doesn't choose (unless, maybe, he gets another girl who's more appropriate for him), I can't feel happy for the guy she does choose (even if I was rooting for him). So I can't enjoy the ending.

Either way, I'm doomed. Lol.

The worst stories are where the heroine finally decides on a guy, but she still can't stop thinking about the other guy. Or where she's already with somone, but she's drawn towards another guy. So she dumps the first guy for the second one. And now she can't stop thinking about the first guy. So she leaves the second guy and returns to the first one. And the book or the series is still not over! So now, I have no idea which guy to root for, and I'm having a hard time admiring a heroine who's indecisive at best and fickle at worst. (And what about these oh-so-smitten guys who're willing to wait and wait and wait for the girl as she switches back and forth between them?!)

Anyway, I guess books based on this theme just aren't for me. There are people who do enjoy them, and I respect their preference, but personally, I try to avoid such books as much as I can :-)

message 4: by Janine (new)

Janine Mendenhall This is a very interesting topic. I'll join in later, but thank you both for the fascinating topic.

message 5: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments I try to also but they dont tell you that in the beginning always.
Its the ones where cheating is involed that botbhers me the most and the fact that it is accepptable to so many people.
I read the kathleen turner series first and ibelieved up until the end that the author would do the right in thd end because thats what i have read all my life. But she didnt and it just floored me,i dixdnt get it.
I had never read anything like it before.
Then i read the lexi graves series and it was the same and tbats why i ask is that the kind of man that women want. Sleazy and underhanded.

message 6: by Ramla Zareen (last edited Oct 30, 2019 10:14AM) (new)

Well Eugene, I've read so few Romance books based on this theme, I don't remember encountering the kind of books you mentioned.

Are you saying there are books where the heroine chose the guy who cheated on her over the guy who was faithful to her?

Or do you mean the heroine herself cheated by starting a relationship with another guy before first ending it with her existing boyfriend?

Have to say both scenarios seem unappealing!

message 7: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments She cheated on the good guy and made it seem like a miss understanding. But stayed with the one she cheated with.
Then the author tries to justify everthing later.
And no i wouldn't have read them if i had known.
Now when i see how a story is going,if it is going this way i stop in middle of the book or series and find something else.
Usually i wont read that author again.

message 8: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Oh, I don't remember reading any book like this but it does sound bad...

message 9: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Janine wrote: "This is a very interesting topic. I'll join in later, but thank you both for the fascinating topic."

Thanks, looking forward to your thoughts on this topic :-)

message 10: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments It was bad. I don't understand the concept of making your main character look so bad.
Can someone please explain this to me.

message 11: by Janine (new)

Janine Mendenhall Ramla Zareen wrote: "Hello everyone, please let's discuss those Romance books that are based on the theme: 

"Love Triangle" 

Thanks...! :-) "

I keep pondering the idea of a true love triangle, not a lust triangle.

Would there be enough conflict to keep everyone's interest if the people loved each other in a self-sacrificial way?

My guess is, if I had to write it, I'd have the heroine love two equally honorable/loving gentlemen (no trashy stuff), but I would have to make sure one of them died protecting them so the two remaining lovers would end up together. In honor of the deceased, they would name their first child after the one that was gone.

(Maybe I wouldn't kill him off. To keep the happily ever after (HEA), I would move him away.

So what does everyone think?

message 12: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments I think most of these are lust triangles as the woman on seems to talk about how hot the guy is and nothing about any moral qualities which the guy she picks usually seems to be lackng.

Also from what i have read there are no love triangles as it is one woman stringing along one guy while with the other. Which to me makes her look bad.

message 13: by Janine (new)

Janine Mendenhall I'm sure you're right, Eugene. I've heard such conversations, unfortunately. I have a higher calling though. So, perhaps some day, I'll write one like I've described. On a side note, this love triangle is an interesting topic because my cover illustrator refused to allow me to have the hero, heroine, and my villain on the cover of my book because she said people would mistake it for a love triangle.

message 14: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments That is funny,but sadly true.
I have enjoyed some of the triangles where the author handled it with class and the heroine doesnt look like a tramp.
I just dont understand the others and probably never will. Lol

message 15: by Janine (new)

Janine Mendenhall Here's another LOL, Eugene. The title of my debut novel is Starving Hearts (Triangular Trade Trilogy Book #1) regarding the slave trade, arranged marriage, etc. So I would have been in real trouble. People would probably have thought it was a menage a trois.

Here's how the cover turned out, if you're interested. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 16: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments I am sorry but i am not into historical ones but i will show it to my wife and i will let you know.
Yes i do judge a lot of my books by the covers. Lol

message 17: by Janine (new)

Janine Mendenhall Totally fine, and thanks for sharing. It has been a pleasure speaking with you, and I look forward to more engaging conversations.

message 18: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments I have a question to ask youas you are an author,but dont feel that you have to answer.

When i have read a book and enjoyed and the authors web site says thst they like to hear from you,i will write and tell therm how much i liked it and i usually get a positive response back.
If i have questions about the booki hasve found thast certain authors will just ignore you unless you have something prasing to say.
As a reader i find this insulting,whast do you think?

message 19: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments Just for your info,i just ordered your book for my wife,she thought it sounded interesting

message 20: by Janine (new)

Janine Mendenhall Eugene wrote: "I have a question to ask youas you are an author,but dont feel that you have to answer.

When i have read a book and enjoyed and the authors web site says thst they like to hear from you,i will wri..."

(This response is to both comments you made.)
I've had that sort of lack of response too, sadly. I've actually vowed I will not do that. One would think that an author would be pleased to receive whatever insights her readers could offer, at least that's what I think, and I look forward to having that kind of relationship with my readers.

From you other comment, it seems that I should be look forward to a comment from your wife. Thank you so very much. What is her name? Is she on goodreads too?

message 21: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments Her name is terri,but she is not on goodreads. She reads more than i do. Lol
I will let youknow what she says.
Thanks

message 22: by Janine (new)

Janine Mendenhall Thank you, Eugene, and may I say again. It has been a pleasure to share with you.

message 23: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments It has been a pleasure.☺

message 24: by Ramla Zareen (last edited Oct 30, 2019 11:11AM) (new)

Janine wrote: "My guess is, if I had to write it, I'd have the heroine love two equally honorable/loving gentlemen (no trashy stuff), but I would have to make sure one of them died protecting them so the two remaining lovers would end up together. In honor of the deceased, they would name their first child after the one that was gone. 

(Maybe I wouldn't kill him off. To keep the happily ever after (HEA), I would move him away.

So what does everyone think?"

Well, I'm afraid both the options (killing him off or moving him away) sound sad to me. Sorry :-(

The only way it might work for me is if the second guy makes his peace with the fact she wasn't the one for him AND goes on to achieves his own happily ever after with the girl who is truly meant for him. Hope this helps :-)

message 25: by Janine (new)

Janine Mendenhall Hi, Ramala, You are absolutely right! I would have to make sure that the guy who lost the girl had another better/more interesting match ready to go, or I would never be able to live up to my HEA. Thanks for commenting. I was looking forward to speaking to you.

message 26: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Glad you liked my idea, Janine, thanks, it's nice to chat with you too :-)

message 27: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments Hi
I have a love triangle question.
Why is it ok for the heroine in these books to treat one of the male characters badly and readers dont say aword abut that. But if it was a hero doing it to a female characters they would be ripping him apart.
Why thedouble standard?

message 28: by Janine (last edited Apr 11, 2016 02:56PM) (new)

Janine Mendenhall Hello, again, Eugene.
I have no clue why it's okay because I don't think it is. Maybe, authors write it to provide a sort of vicarious experience for those who are locked into complicated relationships with these kind of challenges. (It's my understanding that authors often write what they think their audience wants to read.)
By the way, have you been finding these controversial issues in Christian fiction/romance, or in secular works, or both? I wondered about this as we were discussing the love triangle too.

message 29: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments No this is about books i have read and been disappointed in the endings of that have had these issues.
I dont understand the concept of making your main character look bad in the story by betraying one of her bf.
I have always rea books where the good guy or girl wins and these they were treated very badly butit was just glossed over as long as the heroine seemed happy

message 30: by Janine (new)

Janine Mendenhall Well, that's a relief; I was really worried.

And, as you've noted, a reader must really like the main character(s) or he will not want to read the book/be very disappointed.
It sounds like you're in the right discussion group--happily ever after (HEA)--for some good discussion. I'm looking forward to hearing about favorite HEA books others enjoy.

When Terri, that's your wife, I believe, reads my book she will not be disappointed. (And while I fully understand/appreciate Starving Hearts is not your genre, it might surprise you, if you read it too. My husband is a computer guy, handyman, do it yourself nonfiction type, but he was one of my beta readers. I'll tell you when he posts his review of SH, then you can see what another out-of-genre guy says about it.)

Chat with you again in a while!
Blessings,
Janine

message 31: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments I look forward to it. My wife usually tells me if shes thi nks that i will lile a certain book. We do read some similar ones. ☺

message 32: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments Hi
I really did enjoy the female characters at the begining of the series,but as it progressed it seemed she got weaker of character and dumber as a person and yet the female readers didnt seem to mind that as long as the guy was hot. Is that all it takes? Even it the guy is a sleaze its ok as long as he is hot that makes everthing he does ok?

message 33: by C. (new)

C. | 45 comments I 'detest' love triangle stories! Hate, hate, hate them, and wish they were forbidden to be published, lol! Often because I disagree with the author's choice, and wish the H/h had chosen the other-more worthy person!

I would like to see someone write a romance where either the H or the heroine has the backbone and self-esteem to kick someone who is unworthy to the curb, and move on with the better choice, but nooooooo, no one has ever written this scenario and I want to know why not? haha

message 34: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments I agree with you C.
I dont understand the ones where the heroine ends up looking like a tramp and picks the guy that has been dishonest and disdrespectful to her and yet lots of the women readers like this becasuse the guy is hot.
This just makes the heroine look stupid to me.

message 35: by Janine (new)

Janine Mendenhall C. wrote: "I 'detest' love triangle stories! Hate, hate, hate them, and wish they were forbidden to be published, lol! Often because I disagree with the author's choice, and wish the H/h had chosen the other-..."

Hi, C.! I love your strong opinion. While I haven't run in to many love triangle themes in Christian historical fiction, Eugene and I were engaging is some interesting discussion on the topic.

It's nice to meet you, by the way. Since neither of you like H/h that yield to the dark side, if you will, what do you think of a "saving the villain" concept? Now, that's a fascinating idea for me, but it is very challenging and needs to be handled very carefully.

message 36: by Janine (new)

Janine Mendenhall Eugene wrote: "I agree with you C.
I dont understand the ones where the heroine ends up looking like a tramp and picks the guy that has been dishonest and disdrespectful to her and yet lots of the women readers l..."

Hello, again, Eugene. I see C. has joined our LT discussion, to which I've added a new twist, the "saving the villain" concept. What do you think of that?

message 37: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments Hi janine
I dont care very much for it since it usually involves betraying the good guy to do it. That is the problem i have with these books is the heroine betrays the good guy for the sleazy guy and ten wants to be friends with the guy she betrayed.

message 38: by Janine (last edited Apr 21, 2016 07:22PM) (new)

Janine Mendenhall Eugene wrote: "Hi janine
I dont care very much for it since it usually involves betraying the good guy to do it. That is the problem i have with these books is the heroine betrays the good guy for the sleazy guy ..."

I understand.

On another note, would you like to read one of my 700 word stories (often called flash-fiction)?

Terri, I believe that's you wife's name, may want to because it's backstory for my book. (It's also an exchange between two men about a young lady, so you may enjoy that it's not the usual "girly" stuff.)

Here's the link.
https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/...

Blessings,
Janine

message 39: by Eugene (new)

Eugene | 20 comments Sure i will give it to her

message 40: by Janine (new)

Janine Mendenhall Thank you. Chat again soon. Bye, for now.

message 41: by Janine (new)

Janine Mendenhall I'll be joining you guys (and any other new friends) here soon enough.
Blessings,
Janine