UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Blog Roll > The Waterstones' Watch

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

message 2: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments Like it!

I must admit that the whole Apple watch thing is puzzling me. Part of me desperately wants one, but I can't for the life of me understand why.

It can't do anything that I need to have done. It won't work without an iphone, and doesn't do anything that the iphone can't do, so why not use your iphone? It costs nearly £300 for the basic model and a heck of a lot more for the top of the range which has exactly the same features as the basic.

But why do I want one?

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments Will wrote: "Like it!

.But why do I want one? .."

Apple-itis
I don't want one, don't have an iPhone either (but will admit to iPod and iPad)

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21872 comments I confess to owning exactly no Apple products. None of the stuff they produce I need

message 5: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm | 3 comments Brilliant. I agree I don't need it and want it.
I had this discussion with my daughter last night, she found out the cost £400 and all the designs are ugly. She then went on to list me everything the watch does, and I said my phone does all that, so I have no need for it. Then she went onto say it's good for people who do exercise , nope my phone does all that too.

We have lots of Apple products, when my iPhone rings my iPad rings, that's annoying when you are watching a movie. She has a Mac and iPod and iPhone so everytime she has a text message or call all her apple gadgets ring or notify her. That would annoy me to no end.
The collection of wires we have around all our electrical sockets is mind boggling.

message 6: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments I can make a case for an ipad. I have an ipad mini, which is a briefcase sized mini-computer, a music and video collection, a sofa TV for second-screening. It is email and skype and the internet, and lots more things besides. It is a kindle and a word processor for writing stuff to go onto a kindle.

And sure it doesn't have to be an apple ipad. It could just as easily be an android tablet. Once you've worked out some of the things that a tablet can do, it's hard to go back to a life without one.

And all these things are good. I just can't see why I would want some or all of that functionality in a watch.

Mind you, I thought that before I got my first ipad. And I was wrong. Maybe there is a point to the apple watch. We just haven't worked out what it is yet.

message 7: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I don't wear a watch, and I have no real plans to start.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21872 comments I don't wear a watch when I'm working, they don't survive.
I'm happy to be connected to the world by the wires of the landline. It means that I go where I want and the world doesn't keep trying to track me down and tell me things :-)

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9081 comments I had that problem too Jim but I need a watch when I'm working so I know when I can leave!! So I buy a really really cheap one (last one was less than £3) and don't worry about it. This one gives me a green mark round my wrist, beginning to think it might not be real gold...

Don't do apple i-things either, but we do all our design work on macs.

message 10: by Jim (last edited Apr 25, 2015 12:24PM) (new)

Jim | 21872 comments My current watch cost a tenner from Argos. I must admit I tend to give more thought to the straps than the watch. I prefer webbing, because the plastic ones don't last and the metal ones can cut

With regard to Macs, I know a few people who do graphic or layout work and they swear by them

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments The school provides an iPad or Mac to every staff member and student. We swear at them.

I like my iPads. It means I can no longer type on a keyboard, mind.

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21872 comments I had you use a tablet that somebody handed me to fill a form in
gods but I hate those on-screen keyboards :-(

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9081 comments Tablets are the servants of the devil. I hate my android one with a passion, I only use it to play Wordfeud on.

message 14: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments My wife has an Android tablet and loves it. I can't stand using the thing. Certainly don't want a watch that'll be just as infuriating and also smaller.

message 15: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments Just about every technology that mankind has ever come up with has had its early adopters lined up against folk saying "it'll never catch on"...

http://www.rinkworks.com/said/predict...

And, of course, this is the kindle forum and we're all talking to each other on computers - both inventions that someone said would never work.

I can't see the point of the apple watch. Yet. But I've been wrong before.

message 16: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Jim wrote: "My current watch cost a tenner from Argos."

A tenner!

You were done, mate.

Mine was a fiver from the local market.

Admittedly I haven't worn it for months since the battery ran out, but it kept time to within a few seconds or so, which is what matters.

It also told me what day it was, which is often very useful to me.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21872 comments Ah, well I got a calendar to tell me what day it is, andI got that free :-)
I paid extra for the strap, it does mean the watch is comfortable etc.
I normally get two-three years from an argos watch and then it's not worth replacing the battery

message 18: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Actually, now that I think about it, the one before the market one was an Argos watch.

Might still have that one somewhere.

message 19: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I have the time written on a piece of paper. At least it's right twice a day . . .

message 20: by Will (new)

message 21: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments 8 o'clock.

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21872 comments Brilliant!