Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Awards > National Book Award

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Apr 26, 2015 12:06PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6591 comments Looking for some clarification on this large award.

I think someone (Rivka?) has been maintaining the list of winners. However, the finalists and longlists seem to be hit and miss.

National Book Award

The section on "nominees" begins on page 12.

Because the awards are listed with the most recent date first, I'll use 2013 as an example of my question/quandry.

Here is the page from the Award site for 2013.

http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2013.h...

Note that few on the Award site page are also included on the GR page of nominees, although some are. Some that are on the GR Award page are Finalists (ex: Tenth of December), and some are Longlisted (ex: Fools).

There is also a GR page for National Book Award Finalists. This probably came about due to an error in formatting, and yet to me seems a better way of highlighting the finalists separate from those simply longlisted.

The manual topic on this: If an award has a middle tier such as an honor medal or a shortlist and is an award notable enough that other nominees are also listed, the award can be listed as two awards, one for the winner and the longlisted nominees and another for the shortlist.

This seems to be the correct approach for this large award, but I'm not ready to dive in without some confirmation.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6591 comments Rivka, I see you are here today. Do you have an opinion on this?

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
I am not familiar with this award.

Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I think someone (Rivka?) has been maintaining the list of winners."

Nope, not me.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6591 comments OK, then as a matter of policy, should we try to maintain an intermediate "award" of finalist for awards that have a winner, finalist/shortlist, and a longlist?

This is one of the 3 or 4 biggest US awards, I think.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
That does seem to be consistent with the Manual, yes.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6591 comments Thank you. (I think - or maybe I need my head examined for this one.)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6591 comments I did need my head examined. But it is as good as I had the energy and motivation to make it. I lost a summer, but am ready for something new for Fall. ;-)