Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Food for Thought > They're not romance novel classics, but...

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9700 comments Mod
They have left their mark on the romance genre. Feel free to post your thoughts.

What are some books that wouldn't meet any strict classifications, but seem to have impacted the romance genre.

Please include a link and tell us why you listed them.

message 2: by Paganalexandria (last edited Apr 24, 2015 10:27PM) (new)

Paganalexandria  | 354 comments Thouhgh not romance, the success of Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice , and Laurell K. Hamiltons Anita Blake series Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton helped with shaping PNR, and romance heavy UF.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9700 comments Mod
I will freely admit that Anita Blake is what got me started on my UF love. A classmate recommended the books to me and I was hooked. We parted ways when it became more about her harem, but I do have some fondness for the initial books in that series.

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 395 comments Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) wrote: "I will freely admit that Anita Blake is what got me started on my UF love. A classmate recommended the books to me and I was hooked. We parted ways when it became more about her harem, but I do ha..."

Same with me. Before there was Mercy or Kate I liked Anita

message 5: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 395 comments I would say maybe The Gamble. I don't know which book was Kristen Ashley's first but this was my first by her. I don't know if anyone would consider her books classic but they've definitely had an impact on the romance genre. All of my romance reading friends here on Goodreads love her.

Tammy wrote: " Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) wrote: "I will freely admit that Anita Blake is what got me started on my UF love. A classmate recommended the books to me and I was hooked..."

It's funny, because she's not near my favorite anymore. But I love Mercy and Kate.

Paganalexandria  | 354 comments Tammy wrote: "I would say maybe The Gamble. I don't know which book was Kristen Ashley's first but this was my first by her. I don't know if anyone would consider her books classic but they've de..."

Tammy, I've only read about 4 of hers, 2 were great, but the others were just okay. But forgetting all that, I think so because she's an indie with a rabid fanbase. Her popularity is cult like, her books all have a similar tone that has become a brand. I would consider her a new classic.

message 8: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 395 comments Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over** wrote: "Tammy wrote: "I would say maybe The Gamble. I don't know which book was Kristen Ashley's first but this was my first by her. I don't know if anyone would consider her books classic ..."

Yeah I love some of her books and others not so much. And I totally agree about the similarity of tone in her books.

I would say Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire . Again this is loved by my romance friends. And I think the hero is one of the crazy ones readers still seem to love

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Chanticleer (rachelchanticleer) | 25 comments Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1) by Abigail Roux seemed to somewhat popularize M/M, or at least the hype brought some people to the genre that may not have tried it otherwise. (Myself included.)

Paganalexandria  | 354 comments Tammy wrote: "Yeah I love some of her books and others not so much. And I totally agree about the similarity of tone in her books.

I would say Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire. Again this is loved by my romance friends. And I think the hero is one of the crazy ones readers still seem to love "

Yeah the success of that one helped spawn more New Adult, and Fighter books. I thought it an enjoyable read, but never would have thought it would get the fan base it has.

message 11: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 395 comments Rachel wrote: "Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1) by Abigail Roux seemed to somewhat popularize M/M, or at least the hype brought some people to the genre that may not have tried it otherwise. (Myself included.)"

I've never read any m/m. I stopped reading BDB before the Quinn/Blay book. I think that was the couple, it's been a while lol

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Chanticleer (rachelchanticleer) | 25 comments Tammy wrote: "I've never read any m/m. I stopped reading BDB before the Quinn/Blay book. I think that was the couple, it's been a while lol..."

It's not for everybody, but I'm glad a gave the genre a go. ☺