Everything Other World discussion

Books from monthly reading list > April's book - Wool

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (last edited Apr 24, 2015 06:14PM) (new)

Kirsten Schuder (goodreadscomkirstenschuder) | 233 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

Just to add to the discussion of this month's book, Wool, I found this article about the book and author.

http://publishingperspectives.com/201...

Since we are interested in books and love reading them, I also love hearing anything about the publishing industry and any news. This site touts itself as the "BBC" for the book industry. Enjoy :).

As we wind into May (already!!!), we will be discussing this book, so feel free to add to the discussion on what you thought about the book.

Looking forward to reading your perspective :).

Kirsten

message 2: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Springs | 181 comments Mod
I was a little hesitant about Wool. As I mentioned in my review on Kurt's Frontier, dystopian fiction isn't usually what I reach for. Those of you who are interested in my review you can find it here:

https://kurtsfrontier.wordpress.com/2...

Now this isn't my first exposure to dystopian fiction. I've read George Orwell's 1984and Animal Farm. I've also read Logan's Run. (I've also seen the movie and the 1970s TV series but that's another story)

To start off, I would like to ask, what draws people to dystopian science fiction?

Is it the circumstances? That someone is bad and screwing the world up worse than it already is?

Is it the protagonist? A person who asks "Why not?" as opposed to "Why?"

Perhaps someone can come up with another question.

The Silos were set up to protect people from the degenerating atmosphere (by the events of the story, the atmosphere is toxic). Yet dreaming of something better is seen as a detriment to survival and is punishable by death by cleaning.

Jules doubts about the system grow throughout the story, and her doubts seem to be well founded. So well founded that she is sentenced to clean, though it doesn't go according to plan. She discovers the conspiracy is bigger than she first imagined.

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Schuder (goodreadscomkirstenschuder) | 233 comments Mod
I see dystopian sci-fi as an opportunity to question the very existence of our humanity, or lack thereof, in a setting that is not real to us.

It's sort of like the authors would like us to think about making changes to our present systems that claim to serve us, but instead do us harm and keep up down.

Or, it helps us see that our good humanistic tendencies, such as empathy and kindness, should be revered above all else.

I see the different features of dystopian fiction stories as symbolic. For instance, in Logan's Run, the entire society is run by a large machine, and no one really knows why they have to die at 30 years old anymore. They just know that's the way they've always done it, so that's what it has to be. At one time, it probably had a purpose, but it doesn't have to be like that anymore.

I think at that time, when so much social change was going on, that this message was relevant to the audience, with people fighting for women's rights and minority rights.

In Wool, I think it echoes this sentiment. I've heard a lot of hullabaloo lately about our government being run by a secret society, and the people don't really make the choice anymore in the president, that the elections are all predetermined no matter how we vote.

So, maybe there will always be this sentiment. We have a pretty great country here with lots of social programs to help the financially oppressed, but how much power do we really have over our own lives?

I see dystopian sci-fi as an opportunity to explore these bigger questions without seeming like a conspiracy kook. It's all set safely in a setting from another world.

I did enjoy this one, because I love conspiracy stories.