Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Happy Anzac Day! Lest we forget!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda Happy Anzac Day to all my Aussie mates!

message 2: by Lilian (new)

Lilian (random_girl_here) | 7 comments Happy Anzac Day :)

message 3: by Andrea (last edited Apr 24, 2015 05:26PM) (new)

Andrea | 1615 comments Sending good vibes to everyone who was up in the middle of the night to get ready for dawn services; now probably ready to go back to bed.

Any topical reading to recommend? Over the past few weeks I've read Bereft (Western front), Ronan's Echo (Western front - Fromelles), Nightingale (Gallipoli) and am currently halfway through Anthem for Doomed Youth (WWI poetry). Enjoyed them all very much and have learned a lot.

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda Two that I read on recommendation of another reader were Evan's Gallipoli and A Rose for the Anzac Boys. They're YA but very good.

I'm also interested in any suggestions on this topic.

message 5: by Carolyn (last edited Apr 24, 2015 05:58PM) (new)

Carolyn | 7970 comments I haven't read Anzac Girls: The Extraordinary Story of Our World War I Nurses but I enjoyed The Daughters of Mars by Thomas Keneally, also about the WWI Anzac nurses. It's a fictionalised version but draws on historic accounts and letters as source material and I think it's pretty accurate.

We were talking about what Anzac Day means to us at work yesterday with some colleagues from overseas and I was surprised a lot of the younger Aussies hadn't heard of the Peter Weir movie Gallipoli made in the 80s. It's well worth watching if you can find a copy. If you're local, It's probably on Aussie TV sometime this weekend; it usually is!

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1615 comments Carolyn wrote: "I haven't read Anzac Girls: The Extraordinary Story of Our World War I Nurses but I enjoyed The Daughters of Mars by Thomas Keneally, also about the WW..."

Actually I'm pretty sure it's screening on Ch10 tonight!

message 7: by Jülie ☼♄  (last edited Apr 24, 2015 06:51PM) (new)

Jülie ☼♄  | 6275 comments Fromelles The Final Chapters by Tim Lycett
Can highly recommend this one Fromelles: The Final Chapters, for an up to date account.

Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) by Elizabeth Wein For fiction Code Name Verity is just brilliant inho.

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3496 comments I've got a reserve on Code Name Verity at my local library, but won't get it until mid-May :-(

I seem to have read quite a few books around WWI or WWII in the last year or so. These are some of the ones I've enjoyed.

These aren't from an Australian viewpoint, but I enjoyed Wild Lavender by Belinda Alexandra - WWII in occupied France, and The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes which has an element of WWI history. Goodbye Piccadilly by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles is set at the outbreak of WWI in Britain.

I've also just finished Murder in Montparnasse by Kerry Greenwood which is mostly set in 1920's Melbourne, but has flashbacks to post-WWI France.

I read In Falling Snow by Australian, Mary-Rose MacColl, last year and it is also set in France in WWI.

The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure has no Australian/British aspect, but is set in WWII and explores the hiding of Jews in Paris and surrounds.

Also, I've only read 3 of Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series, but most of them seem to have an aspect of WWI history to them.

Then there is The Lavender Keeper by Fiona McIntosh - also an Australian, but not set involving Australian troops, but in occupied France, with the French Resistance.

Elliot Perlman's The Street Sweeper is VERY good - compelling reading, great storyline - WWII, but more of an American perspective as the (Australian) researcher who is the main character is investigating the role of African Americans in WWII.

message 9: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 7970 comments Winner of this year's Pulizer Prize, All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, set in WW2 France is excellent. Also GR Readers Choice last year.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

RitaSkeeter wrote: "Linda wrote: "Two that I read on recommendation of another reader were Evan's Gallipoli and A Rose for the Anzac Boys. They're YA but very good.

I'm also interested in any suggestions on this to..."

I received my copy of Anzac Girls today in the mail. , I really liked the series (got the dvd from Amazon Canada).
As I was saying to a kiwi friend today, being Canadian we don't really learn a lot in our schools about the Anzacs. So it is very fascinating reading into it.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

RitaSkeeter wrote: "Linda wrote: "Two that I read on recommendation of another reader were Evan's Gallipoli and A Rose for the Anzac Boys. They're YA but very good.

I'm also interested in any suggestions on this to..."

"All Quiet on the Western Front" is a great war book, I read it in a history class once, and have been meaning to read it again.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

RitaSkeeter wrote: "Melissa wrote: "RitaSkeeter wrote: "Linda wrote: "Two that I read on recommendation of another reader were Evan's Gallipoli and A Rose for the Anzac Boys. They're YA but very good.

I'm also int..."

I love L.M Montgomery

message 13: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 141 comments I'm waiting to read Bill, the Bastard https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
which is about one of the Waler horses.

We walked up to our local War Memorial this morning (not for the dawn service!) and watched the parade of veterans, school children and bands. I was also delighted to see five horses and riders representing the Light Horse regiment.

I'd also recommend Touching the Wire by Goodreads' author Rebecca Bryn. Released to co-incide with the 70th anniversary of the Holocaust it is a horrific, touching read. Rebecca is an amazing author and the story is riveting and beautifully written.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3496 comments RitaSkeeter wrote: "Melissa wrote: "RitaSkeeter wrote: "Linda wrote: "Two that I read on recommendation of another reader were Evan's Gallipoli and A Rose for the Anzac Boys. They're YA but very good.

I'm also int..."

Ooh yes, I'd forgotten about Rilla of Ingleside - that was the first book I ever read about war!

message 15: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3496 comments Kathryn wrote: "Ooh yes, I'd forgotten about Rilla of Ingleside - that was the first book I ever read about war! ..."

Actually, it probably wasn't - I think the first might have been When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr...

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3496 comments RitaSkeeter wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "RitaSkeeter wrote: "Melissa wrote: "RitaSkeeter wrote: "Linda wrote: "Two that I read on recommendation of another reader were Evan's Gallipoli and A Rose for the Anzac Boys. They..."

I still tear up toward the end of Anne of Green Gables as well. Haven't made it through to Rilla of Ingleside for a while, but I'm sure I would be the same in it!

message 17: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 69438 comments Mod
The first book I remember reading about the war was Holocaust by Gerald Green - I probably read it 30 or more years ago and I still remember being affected by it...