The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Group Read Archive 2014-16 > Classic Group Read (May 2015) - One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments The Classic Group Read for May is One Hundred Years of Solitude!

Reading and discussion can commence on May 1st. Please keep spoilers behind spoiler tags.

message 2: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4720 comments Mod
Just need to down load from my library. This is a long and fairly intense read so I need to do that soon. :)

message 3: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
I will definitely read this! I bought it a few months ago and it's been sitting on my shelf waiting to be read!

message 4: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
One of the strangest books I've ever read, but strangely addictive!

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Holly, it is sitting on my shelf too, for the last 6 months, waiting....

message 6: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

I've just checked out the reviews of this on Goodreads, and half of me is freaked out, and the other half is super intrigued.

It definitely seems to be either one you absolutely love, or one you absolutely hate!

Hopefully it can get some good discussions going!

Is anyone else planning on reading this this month?

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Yes, I'm hoping to start tonight!

message 8: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I read this several years ago, but it's very intense and surreal so I've since wanted to read it again. Also because of its richness and beauty. So I'm in. :)

message 9: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

40 pages in an I'm still a bit daunted by it. but I definitely have a better idea of the family and who is who. I have a handy family tree in the front of my edition, thank god!

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments I'm 27 pages in and also have a family tree.

message 11: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Lol. I read this year's ago and recently lent my copy to my dad since I was planning to do audio this time... Now I need to see if I can find a family tree online!

message 12: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Renee, you're bound to find one online! :)

message 13: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I love that you can tell where certain books are from based on their style. Russian novels are very different from American novels or British novels or French novels. The South American writers I've read also have a unique style that they share. They're mystical and earthy. This was one of my first SA novels and I remember being kinda knocked on my butt by how different it was from anything I'd read before.

message 14: by Polina (new)

Polina Кaramagi (polinushka) | 40 comments I've been planning to reading this book since forever. I hope to start it as soon as I finish the book I'm currently reading.

message 15: by Holly, That Geeky One (last edited May 06, 2015 08:22AM) (new)

Well, that escalated quickly.

This book went from simple family drama to full on tyranny, murder, madness and politics literally in a matter of pages.

Watch out, guys!

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments What page are you on? I'm still loitering on page 40, I think.

message 17: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

I've just hit page 100. I managed to read a decent amount last night...

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments I'm managing a few books at a time, maybe I'll get back to this one tonight also!

message 19: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I'm a little ahead of you, Holly. About midway. I like to have several books going at once but I had to back burner everything else because this requires so much concentration. I've kinda given up on keeping everyone straight and am just going with the flow of the story. Which s definitely nonlinear. Plus all the NAMES! And I've read it before!!! Which is pretty hilarious since I still can't keep everyone straight.

message 20: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

This is a seriously long book!!!
I think I'm up to the 6th generation, but a couple of the ancestors are still inexplicably alive so it's still confusing.

I'd warn people not to get attached to characters because of all the impending doom, but its not written in a way that makes the reader prone to get attached to any of the characters. I'm really ready to be done with this. It's starting to make me cranky.

message 21: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I just did a review of another really long convoluted novel called Bellefleur by Joyce Carol Oates. Has me wondering is "mystical realism" was a thing in the 80s.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello!
So, which is your favourite(or least favourite) character so far?