What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Just to chat > What's your favourite word?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Cumbling Michael (CumblingMichael) | 166 comments You know, some words just have resonance. They sound good. They don't have to sound -like- anything, I'm not talking about onomatopoeia, I'm just talking about words that sound good for their own sake. For instance, I think "mahogany" is a particularly good word, as is "Aaron". "Plinth", on the other hand, whilst a great word, sounds untrustworthy. There ought to be a Uriah Heep character somewhere called "Augustus Plinth".

Michael

message 2: by notyourfriend (new)

notyourfriend (amemori) | 17 comments - Plethora
- Garrulous
- Vagrant

Cumbling Michael (CumblingMichael) | 166 comments Plethora and Garrulous are obviously good, perhaps because they're exotic. But vagrant takes a rare mind to spot - and I think it's good one.

☆Joycedale☆ | 225 comments Pedestrian
I just like how it sounds.

message 5: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) Pique
Just because...
No but seriously, not only I like the sound of it, but I also like that many people have problems with the spelling. I also love words taken from another language.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 153 comments Intergalactic.

message 7: by Charlene (last edited Apr 24, 2015 02:11PM) (new)

Charlene | 39 comments Well, Michael, my favorite word is "Michael".

I love the way its spelled, I love the way it rolls off the tongue, and I love the sharp sound of the "c".

I always hoped that I would at least date a Michael so that I could say it as much as I want, but alas, that was not meant to be.

message 8: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Apr 24, 2015 02:27PM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments Here's one I purposefully mispronounce, because I like it better that way:

Epitome

But seriously, you want me to pick one (or a few?). I'm a glutton for dem lexemes.

Cumbling Michael (CumblingMichael) | 166 comments Justanotherbiblophile wrote: "Here's one I purposefully mispronounce, because I like it better that way:

Epitome

But seriously, you want me to pick one (or a few?). I'm a glutton for dem lexemes."

I started this thread with the intention of it becoming a conversation, not a competition. So all your favourite words are welcome - but the criterion is personal preference - so there can be no winners.

Anything you really like is both valid, and welcome.

Michael

message 10: by Cumbling Michael (new)

Cumbling Michael (CumblingMichael) | 166 comments But Epitome is good. However, I'm struggling to imagine how else you would pronounce it.

message 11: by Cumbling Michael (new)

Cumbling Michael (CumblingMichael) | 166 comments Cumbling Michael wrote: "But Epitome is good. However, I'm struggling to imagine how else you would pronounce it."

On second thoughts, I suppose you could combine "epi" as in "epigram" with "Tome" as in "large book". That might be fun.

message 12: by ☆Joycedale☆ (new)

☆Joycedale☆ | 225 comments I thought that was how it was pronounced?

message 13: by Cumbling Michael (last edited Apr 24, 2015 04:03PM) (new)

Cumbling Michael (CumblingMichael) | 166 comments ☆Joycedale☆ wrote: "I thought that was how it was pronounced?"

It's one of those dastardly classical words. It's really hard to describe the proper pronunciation in English. However, here we go:

Starts off with E (as in "Ear") then "pit" (as in hole in the ground) Then O (as in Oh, my!), followed by "me" as in "Me or you"?

So put together it's Ee-pit-Oh-Me.

Michael

Hope that helps.

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments 1) Ain't anyone got time for that! My personal dictionary list has at least this much in one of the files;
wc: 1733 24610 161344

2) You got my pronunciation in one. And did a great job with the correct version as well.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Love the word "plump". How it sounds is apropos to its definition. It sounds so full, I love the "mp" sound. :)

message 16: by Cumbling Michael (new)

Cumbling Michael (CumblingMichael) | 166 comments There's a moorland region of Lancashire, not far from me, with the ancient and evocative name "Anglezarke". In Wiltshire, there's an ancient forest called "Savernake". Words dripping with history.

message 17: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah | 10 comments Some of my favorites
- loquacious
- cryptic
- verisimilitude
- whiskey (I say whisssskey)
- splendid
- rubbish
- ghastly
- soup
- espionage
- lyric

message 18: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1136 comments Suddenly

Sometimes I think I use it in every story I write.

message 19: by Random (last edited Jun 17, 2015 03:30PM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 102 comments Susurrous
Gregarious
Paradox
Arithmetic - yeah, I know, I'm weird
Quixotic

-- edited because I had to add a couple extras --

message 20: by mj (new)

mj (valmj) Aluminum (I love both pronunciations)
Psych
Pond
Splendor
Indubitably

message 21: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Daniel
rubric
diamante
luscious
anorexic
chalcedony
orange
inattentive

Apparently I like long words with lots of fricatives. Ooh, and there's another one: fricative :)

message 22: by Gerd (last edited Jun 19, 2015 02:29AM) (new)

Gerd | 223 comments Laura wrote: "Love the word "plump". How it sounds is apropos to its definition. It sounds so full, I love the "mp" sound. :)"

"Apropos" is a word I like, mainly because there's still a little school boy in me that can't help but giggle when he sees it as it looks so, well, as if it meant to say backside. :D

Random wrote: "Quixotic"

Yes, that's a fine one!
Can't imagine a reader who wouldn't like this.

message 23: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (caelestial) | 7 comments All of these were so lovely.
My favorite words are: ephemeral, ethereal, diaphanous, truculent

message 24: by mj (new)

mj (valmj) Charlotte wrote: "All of these were so lovely.
My favorite words are: ephemeral, ethereal, diaphanous, truculent"

Those are good!

I also really like "moonlight". There's something very soothing about it, just like what it is.

message 25: by TwoCagedBirds (last edited Jul 23, 2015 06:39PM) (new)

TwoCagedBirds | 53 comments Mine are

Limerick
Pumpkin
Critter
Espionage
Derriere
Wanderlust
Wunderkind

I'm sure there are more, I just can't think of them right now.

message 26: by Jaye (new)

Jaye  | 385 comments infused.

When my daughter was very little and confused she would say, "I'm so infused."

It became a family word that spread to others over the years.

message 27: by Nicki (new)

Nicki | 3 comments another vote for discombobulated

message 28: by Ket (new)

Ket | 164 comments Salish. I've always loved the sounds of the city names where I grew up in the northwest. Issaquah, Snoqualmie, Snohomish. They're names from the first nations languages, often the names of tribes. I love the way my mouth shapes around the names, and how much they sound like home.

message 29: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1382 comments Oh yeah, there are lots of words like epitome that can go either way, and for some reason my brain has been getting stuck on all of them for the last few months. Once it flashes thru my head, i start chewing on each way... Rarely finding a definitive preference... Much to my annoyance!

But my favorite word has to be BUMBLEBEE. Especially when mixed with drunken. She looks like a drunken bumblebee! The visual always makes me smile.

message 30: by Kimber (last edited Nov 14, 2015 03:45PM) (new)

Kimber (kimberlibri) | 158 comments I need to add a recent favorite Tatterdemalion - not the character. It means ragamuffin or a person in dilapidated clothing. Skedaddle too.

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (aglionby) | 3 comments Posh. It just sounds so... posh.

message 32: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Ley | 44 comments 2 of my favorites are vendetta and cahoots, not because of their meaning, but because of how they sound and are spelled.

LaughingLeopardPress | 5 comments I love the word "crisp". It sounds so fresh and exciting!

message 34: by Merrilee (new)

Merrilee (jrsygrl626) | 189 comments I love "vast" and "heebie-jeebies"!

message 35: by Chad (new)

Chad Eaton (binkeybat) | 10 comments I'll have to add twitterpated, defenestrate, and myriad.

message 36: by Amy (Other Amy) (new)

Amy (Other Amy) | 171 comments I'm bummed because I learned a couple of days ago that 'octopi' is not actually the correct plural of 'octopus'. (It's apparently 'octopuses' or 'octopodes'.) So upsetting. Octopi is fun to say and one of my favorites.

Several of my other favorites have already been mentioned. I also like:
dappled
auspicious
dwindle
gloom
multitudinous
luminous
lapse
ember
autumn
quince

message 37: by Lou (last edited Oct 22, 2015 03:02PM) (new)

Lou Rocama | 436 comments antepenultimate

funambulist

message 38: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 17 comments monobromotrifloromethane

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Verisimilitude
Brobdingnagian
Googolplex

message 40: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 17 comments Gobsmacked

message 41: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (conservio) | 97 comments Evolution, biology, cedar, and Galaxy

message 42: by Janice (last edited Nov 04, 2015 08:40PM) (new)

Janice  | 12 comments skedaddle
serendipity
ramshackle
ubiquitous

message 43: by Yuckamashe (new)

Yuckamashe | 25 comments I have a three way tie for my fav; Anarchy, Memorabilia, and Raggamuffin

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments Hmm, I'm curious...

Does anyone else have a privately compiled dictionary?

message 45: by Waldo (new)

Waldo Varjak | 98 comments You mean a commonplace book?

message 46: by Amy (Other Amy) (new)

Amy (Other Amy) | 171 comments Justanotherbiblophile wrote: "Hmm, I'm curious...

Does anyone else have a privately compiled dictionary?"

The thought has never occurred to me. I'd love to, but I have a feeling if I started one I'd never get anything else done.

message 47: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberlibri) | 158 comments Skedaddle, Effervescence and I don't have a dictionary on file but I do have an unofficial one of made up words and expressions so my fiancé can keep them straight. :D

message 48: by Phil (new)

Phil calliope
serendipity
gelatinous
ruminant

The list goes on and on. I love words.

message 49: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
Justanotherbiblophile wrote: "Hmm, I'm curious...

Does anyone else have a privately compiled dictionary?"

Yes.

It's not big though, it's quite short because frankly you have to remember you're keeping it, and it takes time to stop what you're reading and add the word, or make yourself a note to add the word. Right now it goes from adamantine to yurt.

And then an Addendum to the dictionary is a collection of phrases I've either read or heard that were hilarious or noteworthy, and if I'm being careful, I note the source. For example, "he went shouty crackers" means he threw a hissy fit. Source: Hugh Grant

message 50: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
Waldo wrote: "You mean a commonplace book?"

I have one of those too.

« previous 1 3