The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Doll Bones
This topic is about Doll Bones
Group Read Archive 2014-16 > YA Group Read (May 2015) - Doll Bones, by Holly Black

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments The YA Group Read for May is Doll Bones!

Reading and discussion commence on May 1st. Please keep spoilers behind spoiler tags.

message 2: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 3 stars

Renee M | 4709 comments Mod
This looks seriously creepy.

Caitlin (0utnumbered321) Just got it out from the library today!! Waiting until tomorrow to start!! can't wait. This is my first group read!

message 4: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm about 40% in and so far it's different from what I expected. The writing is decent, though, and I've gotten caught up with the three main characters.

message 5: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 3 stars

Although, so far for me as an adult, the scariest thing is the three of them taking off into the night on a bus. Way too many possible disasters that have nothing to do with creepy dolls.

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Hahahahaha! Oh, still laughing. Yes, age does make us look at books differently. :D

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam Renee I haven't read this yet but that made me laugh.

message 8: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 3 stars

This was cute. I would guess it to be written more for 4th/5th graders rather than Middle school. The creep-factor was pretty tame by today's standards. Again, as an adult, I'm struggling with the "Let's take off on a bus in the middle of the night and go to another state" storyline. But, Meg Wallace took off for another universe and I've never had a problem with that.

Tracey | 916 comments I'm on hold for my copy right now at the library.

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Well, after reading all of your thoughts on this, I think I will mosey on down to the library tomorrow and get me a copy!

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Finished Doll Bones and this book as a parent gave me a few things to think about. What do we do as parents that push our children's buttons, that leave them in a state of frustration. (And as a mom, had to do some changing of parental rules too.) And I loved being reminded that children live in a fantasy world and mourn for them when adolescence starts changing their young creative minds into young adults.

I was not going to read this book, but so glad that I did. It had quite a bit to say. Enjoyed more than I thought!

message 12: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 3 stars

I love that you pointed that out, Melissa. The transition from childhood and its games, the fervent belief in the fantastical, the imaginative. To the world of adolescence. Yes, definitely exciting but also sad for many, especially if they're shamed into leaving their toys/"toys" behind. Adolescence often includes a level of peer pressure and social pressure that can be brutal.

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments I remember so well!

message 14: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah. Me too. I think some of us hold onto a bit through reading or creative outlets. But that break is still really memorable.

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments What do you think of the parents in the book and how they effected the children's fantasy lives? Do you think the kids fastasy was a bit of escapism for what was missing in their home lives?

message 16: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oh yeah, absolutely. But from a storyline perspective, it's also very convenient that they're out of the picture. :)

Becca Tyler (scrappybec) | 294 comments I enjoyed the developing relationships among the three kids. The rest of the story was rather ho-hum for me.

message 18: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'd have to agree. I read this at the beginning of the month and it's already pretty much faded in my mind.

Caitlin (0utnumbered321) I agree with you Becca!!
It was a cute story but that was about it. I was waiting for a kick in the pants, something alittle dark maybe...that never really came. The best part about the book was the kids and their relationship with eachother.