Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Members > Our pets

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7 comments Any cat lovers? Read this --> http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/...

message 2: by Maricarmen (new)

Maricarmen Estrada M | 17 comments Thanks for the info. I have two dogs and four cats and this was very useful information. Thanks again!

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7 comments That's a lot! I used to have 3 dogs, but now I'm down to one senior lady.

message 4: by Maricarmen (new)

Maricarmen Estrada M | 17 comments Yes, we are a huge family! :D

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7 comments Children 'more likely to confide in pets than siblings'

Children who are facing adversity, such as illness or parents splitting up, are more likely to confide in their pet than brothers or sisters, according to research.

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-326...

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) Kristen,
That is a great article! I have been thinking long and hard about getting another dog. Our black lab/ German shepherd mix died about four years ago and my son's behavior has gotten so bad. He has been diagnosed on the autism spectrum, and on top of that has entered the teen years. He has been having a really hard time of it, and when I think back to a time when things weren't as tough, it was when we had our sweet Dixie.
His grandma tried to "gift" us her golden lab, but he was just too energetic and my son was terrified of him. Clearly not any dog will do.

Anyone have any tips on getting a service dog for people with special needs?

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) Thanks Kristen! Unfortunately, my son is high functioning, so they would not assist. That has been the main problem so far. someone else suggested I see about getting a service dog for anxiety as they are wasier to get and still are trained to handle his emotional needs. will have to do more research!

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7 comments Heidi wrote: "Thanks Kristen! Unfortunately, my son is high functioning, so they would not assist. That has been the main problem so far. someone else suggested I see about getting a service dog for anxiety as t..."

A lot of times you don't need to get a special dog. I get seizures and our two rescues (though one of them has passed on) were able to sense them before I had them.

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7 comments Cats are like ghosts. They live with us, but they have their own secretive agendas. Cats are uncanny. They can be provoking, but also glamorous. They seem to know things. They seem slightly out of time. We project emotion onto them, they love us inscrutably, if at all. They have a keen sense of retribution. Cats see us and judge us.

From Ghostly: A Collection of Ghost Stories by Audrey Niffenegger

So, cat people out there: what do you think? True? False?

message 11: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) I always got this impression with cats that lived with me. (Note, I never felt that I owned the cats. I felt more that they tolerated my presence.)

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Heidi wrote: "Thanks Kristen! Unfortunately, my son is high functioning, so they would not assist. That has been the main problem so far. someone else suggested I see about getting a service dog fo..."

I agree, dogs tend to be more intuitive and caring in general, than other pets. But outside of my dog Dixie, we have seen our son struggle with other dogs. This one is too loud, that one is too energetic, that one "looks mean". I suppose if I looked at specific breeds that are commonly used as service pets because of their general nature, perhaps I would have better luck. My Dixie was a very mellow dog, and by the time my son came along she was already getting old. She was patient and tolerant. When my boys were still in diapers, they would climb all over her and she would just lay there calmly. When she had had enough she would slowly and very carefully stand up to knock them off, and then go lie in my room on my bed because they could not get to her there.

I believe in forever dogs, and the thought of getting a dog that caused my son more grief, and having to choose between the two, would crush me.

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5869 comments Mod
Heidi - The link Kristen posted above states that as long as your child's physician approves and it is safe to place a dog in your home, every application is approved. One of their success stories on the home page is a high functioning boy that couldn't sleep without his parents. You should check it out. I'm sure they could help you out, but even if you don't get a dog through them, they could probably aim you in the right direction.

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 483 comments I have no pets

message 15: by Deb (new)

Deb Bartram | 115 comments I have three wonderful dogs (and a husband)! All rescues...they are my babies!

message 16: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7 comments Deb wrote: "I have three wonderful dogs (and a husband)! All rescues...they are my babies!"

Was your husband a rescue, too?

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 19 comments LOL @ Kirsten

message 18: by Deb (new)

Deb Bartram | 115 comments Lol, Kirsten! Probably!

message 19: by Judy (new)

Judy Robertson | 104 comments I have a Standard Poodle (Alex) who is a Westminster Champion, both USA and Canada. He was gifted to me to become a service dog for PTSD and Anxiety. I was never a dog or animal person, but he has changed my life. Since then we adopted a rescue whippet (Tucker)and I swear he is smarter than Alex ha ha. These boys are now a part of my family and I can’t imagine not having them.

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 483 comments I’m allergic to cats

message 21: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7 comments Christine wrote: "I’m allergic to cats"

Me too.

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 483 comments That makes two of us Kirsten lol

message 23: by April (new)

April robinson (aprillost) | 55 comments I have never had a pet until 2 years ago my sweet husband bought me a Shih Tzu 8 week old little girl named zo lee moon for our anniversary ….now that I am home full time with no grand kids he thought it was a good idea. well we renamed her Zoey sugars and I am in love !! she is my baby. She sleeps with me and eats with me and is at my hip all the time. She has changed my life for the better I love her so much. what I am trying to say is that I use to roll my eyes at people talking about their dogs like babies but now I get it...I am so blessed. thanks for this group!

message 24: by Stella (new)

Stella | 4 comments I have a 7-year-old cat-a-hula mix named Rhett and a 5-year-old pitbull that we think is actually 100% American Staffordshire terrier named Junie.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments I have 2 dogs one is a Siberian husky name Amitola and a beagle mix named Bingles. I love my babies. I am not a cat person I do not hate them just not my thing. Amitola is my baby and she knew I was mama when I picked her up. She is the first dog I ever purchased but she was well worth every penny. Huskies are great family dogs they are loyal and enjoy the family setting because of being part of a pack. The only downside to them is that they blow there coat 2 times a year but beyond that they are awesome. Oh yeah they love to talk to you very vocal dog. My beagle was a rescue someone threw her out of a pick up truck. I took one look at her and took her home. She is my old lady of the two.

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 483 comments I can’t have pets in my house

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ghostly: A Collection of Ghost Stories (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Audrey Niffenegger (other topics)