Let's Talk About Julie Garwood discussion

General > Our pets

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Any cat lovers? Read this --> http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/...

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1033 comments Mod
Oh, goodness. GTK, Kirsten.

message 3: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 2159 comments Mod
Oh my! I have never even thought about giving animals medicine that wasn't given to me by the vet.

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Oh, you misunderstood, Pamela! The problem is people that are using pain medication creme for themselves. They then pet their cat and the cat preens, thereby ingesting the pain medication. Kidneys fail. Pet dies. Tragic.

message 5: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new)

That's awful! I rarely use any pain meds oral or cream.

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) You're lucky! I'm always having sinus and migraine headaches. But have never used pain creams.

message 7: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new)

Kirsten, I'm allergic to almost everything and was on prescription allergy meds. I took myself off recently and was having a lot of headaches but I wouldn't take anything. I started taking apple cider vinegar twice a day. Its hard to take at times but mixed with juice its not too bad. Anyway, I'm not having the headaches like I was.

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I put apple cider vinegar in my dog's water. She's absolutely impossible to give meds to and I read that Vitamin C is supposed to help arthritis. It works rely well.

message 9: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new)

I was reading a book written by this doctor back in the fifties. He talked a lot about observing animals when they were given ACV and the benefits it gave them. We have two little pygmy goats and the little billy got sick with worms and pneumonia and we really thought we were going to lose him this winter. We spent over $500 in vet bills. I told my hubby about the ACV and he started putting it in their water and the goats are doing great. He is peppy and lively where he used to be sluggish. His fur is growing in thick and he is fine now.

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I know! It really works. I discovered it when I was trying to find a natural pain reliever since I can't give my dog any pills - no matter what I try to put them in! She's just paranoid. She won't even eat her dinner unless she sees me prepare it!

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new)

Oh! I'm going to go put some ACV in my juice right now. Seriously.

message 12: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new)

I remember my dad used to swear by it.

message 13: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new)

I think it helps me, LK. I either use pineapple juice or apple or hot water with honey. The hot water makes it easier to mix the honey in. But I do it in the morning and then at night. Approx. 2 tablespoons of ACV.

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new)

I drank two tablespoons last night and two this morning. I could swear I was starting to get a migraine last night and it was fended off. **shrugs** We'll see, because I hope to keep it up.

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) You know, Europeans use feverfew to fight migraines. If you don't want to take medicine, try some feverfew tea.

message 16: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new)

good info, Kirsten!

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Children 'more likely to confide in pets than siblings'

Children who are facing adversity, such as illness or parents splitting up, are more likely to confide in their pet than brothers or sisters, according to research.

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-326...

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new)

I can believe that, Kirsten. Can't wait until I have a house and can get a dog.

message 19: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new)

I remember telling my woes to my dog when I was young.

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new)

Ditto.

message 21: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "I remember telling my woes to my dog when I was young."

What do you mean "when I was young"? I do that ALL THE TIME!

message 22: by Pamela(AllHoney), Brodick is MINE! (new)

Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "I remember telling my woes to my dog when I was young."

What do you mean "when I was young"? I do that ALL THE TIME!"

lol

message 23: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Cats are like ghosts. They live with us, but they have their own secretive agendas. Cats are uncanny. They can be provoking, but also glamorous. They seem to know things. They seem slightly out of time. We project emotion onto them, they love us inscrutably, if at all. They have a keen sense of retribution. Cats see us and judge us.

From Ghostly: A Collection of Ghost Stories by Audrey Niffenegger

So, cat people out there: what do you think? True? False?

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Lyon's Lady (new)

Hmmm... I think it is we who don't understand cats. I think cats understand us pretty well.

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) Whenever I would get an upset stomach my mom would force me to take Apple cider vinegar. Within 10 minutes or so I would feel a lot better. I have never thought to put that into my dogs water, but I will try it.

My mom's dog almost put her dog to sleep because the joint in his hip wasn't deep enough to support the femur (thigh bone). It kept slipping out. She was finally able to find a doctor to fix it at a reasonable cost. Although he is a young dog I know he will have problems in the future I am excited to let her know. about ACV