21st Century Literature discussion

21st Century Chat > Our pets

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Are you a cat lover? Read this --> http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/...

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Children 'more likely to confide in pets than siblings'

Children who are facing adversity, such as illness or parents splitting up, are more likely to confide in their pet than brothers or sisters, according to research.

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-326...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Pets are not human beings, thankfully.

message 4: by Portia (new)

Portia No, but they love us unconditionally, which humans do not. And all dogs go to heaven. I'm not so sure about a number of humans I've known. A couple of my cats will go to heaven, but a couple of others are on the "maybe" list ;-)

message 5: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2717 comments Mod
I don't know so much that I'm a cat lover as I am a servant of cats... :p

message 6: by Portia (new)

Portia ;-)

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Marc wrote: "I don't know so much that I'm a cat lover as I am a servant of cats... :p"

Something I read years back:

You feed a dog, it thinks you're God.
You feed a cat, it thinks it's God.

message 8: by Portia (new)

Portia And then there is the one about cats being worshiped in Ancient Egypt and the cats' never forgetting it;-)

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Cats are like ghosts. They live with us, but they have their own secretive agendas. Cats are uncanny. They can be provoking, but also glamorous. They seem to know things. They seem slightly out of time. We project emotion onto them, they love us inscrutably, if at all. They have a keen sense of retribution. Cats see us and judge us.

From Ghostly: A Collection of Ghost Stories by Audrey Niffenegger

So, cat people out there: what do you think? True? False?

message 10: by Portia (last edited Dec 18, 2015 10:13AM) (new)

Portia My cats' agendas aren't secret. Food. And, believe it or not, understanding. I have had, and now have, cats whose behavior would not be considered normal. One was on her third return to the shelter. She loved us with all she had for the rest of her days because we took her in and were patient with her. We just adopted a 16-year old whose previous told us he couldn't take her with him to his retirement community. She lets us pick her up, but she hisses and growls in warning. I finally began to get an idea of what's going on in her ancient brain late yesterday afternoon when she protected a stuffed toy as though it was her kitten. Yet, when she is frightened, she curls up on the bed in my "spot," where I sleep.The poor old thing needs a lot of love and understanding. At least the previous gave her a chance by advertising her in the paper as a "foster."

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) That is so sad. More places should take pets. I was so glad when I found out that the hospice that my dad had been in would welcome visits from our dogs. It really game him comfort. He couldn't eat, but would sneak cookies and save them for the girls.

I am glad the cat has a home with you and not in a shelter. Bless you!

message 12: by Portia (new)

Portia I was recently reminded of the affect watching the Smithsonian National Zoo's Panda cam has. It is available worldwide and, when the now two-year old female was a cub, the Zoo was contacted by soldiers serving in the Middle East. It seems they watched Mei Xiang and Bao Bao playing and nursing and cuddling and it made these lonely people serving us smile.

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  | 22 comments I have three cats, two dogs and a African gray parrot. My house may not always be pretty but it is full of love. Remarkably, they all get along together. The bird calls the dogs "Mutleys".