Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Off Topic > Our pets

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Nimitz and the citizens of Chanur want you to read this --> http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/...

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Children 'more likely to confide in pets than siblings'

Children who are facing adversity, such as illness or parents splitting up, are more likely to confide in their pet than brothers or sisters, according to research.

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-326...

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott I can see it now...parents using pets to spy on their children...

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Cats are like ghosts. They live with us, but they have their own secretive agendas. Cats are uncanny. They can be provoking, but also glamorous. They seem to know things. They seem slightly out of time. We project emotion onto them, they love us inscrutably, if at all. They have a keen sense of retribution. Cats see us and judge us.

From Ghostly: A Collection of Ghost Stories by Audrey Niffenegger

So, cat people out there: what do you think? True? False?

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott My cat does not judge me.

Unless it's mealtime.

message 6: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 1275 comments Mod
cats are judgey in general but fortunately my cat leaves the room whenever something is happening that she doesn't want to see. very tactful and I appreciate it, Digsy!

message 7: by Lena (new)

Lena You know you are a Star Wars fan when this is your aquarium:

message 8: by Mickey (new)

Mickey | 604 comments My little Yorkie has me well trained. The little dog goes to the door and barks. I said no I am not letting you outside. He looks straight at me, eye to eye, he then walks over the indoor potted plant and starts to hike his leg, I get up as fast as I can and opened the door. He calmly walks past me, with a smug, and walks outside the door.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 40 comments Love the aquarium.

message 10: by R.S. (new)

R.S. Merritt | 13 comments Awesome aquarium!

message 11: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips I have a 15 year old hyperthyroid calico. We were feeding her the prescription food, but it's too hard and crunchy for her and she was starting to lose weight again, starving to death, literally. I started making raw food for her with a ground chicken base. She went nuts for it, gained weight, her coat is shiny and she is healthy again. She is also very grateful, actually climbing onto us, as opposed to sitting near us, but where she had reaction time. She's always been a sweet cat with no ulterior motives. Her brother, however, who passed away a couple years ago, was mischievous and self-serving, truly a dog trapped in a cat's body. But there was nothing hidden, he was very up front about it.

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Allan wrote: "I have a 15 year old hyperthyroid calico. We were feeding her the prescription food, but it's too hard and crunchy for her and she was starting to lose weight again, starving to death, literally. I..."

That sounds like my 2 dogs. Sierra was so naughty. Such a "I ask for forgiveness not permission" type of dog. She died in 2013, but her sister is still here. She will be 20 (!!!!!) next May.

message 13: by Phil (new)

Phil | 56 comments 20-- wow! I have a jack Russel that is 16 and still going strong.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim  Davis | 58 comments Whoops !! Thought this site was going to be about targs and Pyrithian bats. Sorry.

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Phil wrote: "20-- wow! I have a jack Russel that is 16 and still going strong."

Ah, Jack Russells .... dogs with a very pronounced Napoleon complex.