Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

Our pets

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Are you a cat lover? Read this --> http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/...

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 4574 comments Mod
I don't have a cat but my dogs sure do make me smile whenever I get home. I remember when we only had outside dogs and it wasn't anywhere near the enjoyment I feel with my two little ones. I kind of feel bad about that.

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'm not a fan of little dogs. But, I love my Aussie Shepherd mix.

message 4: by Carolyn F. (last edited Apr 27, 2015 09:39PM) (new)

I've had big dogs (St. Bernards) and little dogs. It's easier the older I get with little dogs. In fact, we get dogs in 2s and they were the St. Bernards. :)

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Sounds like you do extremes! LOL! Mine is only 42 and she'll be 16 on Friday!

message 6: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments I have a black cat named Pepper, though we call him Peppy. I love him madly and he's just a moggie but just as special as any others :)

message 7: by Carolyn F. (new)

There is just something special in a different way from children about pets (even if they're slightly naughty). I just can't imagine not having a pet in my life.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Smuz | 22 comments I've had dogs all my life and can't imagine being without one. My current one, a terripoo (we call him a terrorist!) is a lovely snuggler. I love cats too but unfortunately am horribly allergic to them, so no moggies for me.

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'm deathly allergic to cats, too. I can tell if a cat's lived in a house up to year after it last was there.

I have always had dogs and just could not live without them.

message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 2827 comments I had two Jack Russells but I lost them both a few years ago. I do like small dogs and big dogs that I know but I don't know if I would ever get another dog.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Smuz | 22 comments Kirsten wrote: "I'm not a fan of little dogs. But, I love my Aussie Shepherd mix."

I had an Aussie/border collie mix who lived to be 16 --She was beautiful, smart, and a "Velcro dog" every time it thundered. :)

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Kathy wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "I'm not a fan of little dogs. But, I love my Aussie Shepherd mix."

I had an Aussie/border collie mix who lived to be 16 --She was beautiful, smart, and a "Velcro dog" every time it..."

It's funny. My dog is very fearful and anxious and unsure of herself. However, if she is on her pillow, she feels safe so I never have a problem with her during a thunderstorm.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5191 comments For the first time in my life I have no dog or cat.

Would love to hear which breeds pet lovers think are great for a quiet home. Have had Labs, Goldens, mutts.

Have fenced 1 acre.

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Smuz | 22 comments Well, as dearly as I loved my Aussie lass, I wouldn't recommend one if you want quiet. They have LOTS of energy. :)

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Elizabeth wrote: "For the first time in my life I have no dog or cat.

Would love to hear which breeds pet lovers think are great for a quiet home. Have had Labs, Goldens, mutts.

Have fenced 1 acre."

I have a Aussie Shepherd / Catahoula mix. I would highly recommend a Catahoula - they never bark and are not aggressive with people (just other animals).

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5191 comments Thanks I will research your suggestion. I guess I should not say quiet house .We have always had two dogs and or two or more cats. They have passed on and I really miss them.

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) What are people's criteria for new pets?

Mine are the following: It has to be a dog! Preferably 30-60 lbs. No wiry coat. (I've seen too many episodes of Animal Cops showing how painful hair mats are!) Not overly energetic. I'm getting older and want to be able to keep up. Not a horrible barker.

And, most important, a RESCUE! No breeders for me! Nope. In fact, I prefer mixed breeds over purebreds.

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 5191 comments I agree with all that you say!

message 19: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Elizabeth wrote: "I agree with all that you say!"

:D

message 20: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Children 'more likely to confide in pets than siblings'

Children who are facing adversity, such as illness or parents splitting up, are more likely to confide in their pet than brothers or sisters, according to research.

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-326...

message 21: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments Oh isn't that a curious piece of work...

message 22: by LobsterQuadrille (last edited May 10, 2015 05:51PM) (new)

LobsterQuadrille | 668 comments I like most animals, but I'm definitely a cat person. I currently have two cats(it used to be four cats, but one died last year, and the third died just this week) and also have four goldfish.

message 23: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments I'm sorry to hear about your cat :(

message 24: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) That is sad, Victoria. My dog is 16 so every day at this point is a blessing.

message 25: by Brad (new)

Brad Friedman | 191 comments I grew up with dogs (basset hounds and poodles) and adore dogs, but I have been a confirmed cat person since I got my first one in college. I have two gorgeous ragdolls right now: Beau and Mimi. Beau is the most lovable snuggler I have ever met (human or animal!) And Mimi is full of her own special charms.

I'm a high school teacher, and at the end of a hard week, I often find myself wondering at the great unfairness of animals living only into their teens while children get to move past them!!!!!!!

message 26: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments Your pets sound adorable everyone.

And fantastic thought Brad, very pressing!

message 27: by LobsterQuadrille (new)

LobsterQuadrille | 668 comments Kirsten wrote: "That is sad, Victoria. My dog is 16 so every day at this point is a blessing."

Thanks for the condolences, Kirsten and Brooklyn! I appreciate it!

message 28: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments You're most welcome <3

My cat looks very cross right now...I love him to bits though :')

message 29: by Carolyn F. (last edited May 15, 2015 12:57PM) (new)

Kathy wrote: "I've had dogs all my life and can't imagine being without one. My current one, a terripoo (we call him a terrorist!) is a lovely snuggler. I love cats too but unfortunately am horribly allergic t..."

Here's a link to the dog we recently rescued on my lap. He's about 10 years old and if I'm at home he's either on my lap, I'm carrying him around or he's following me. He's supposed to be my daughter's dog but I'm the one who sits on my butt as soon as I get home (and at work too). I'm allergic to cats too or else I'd have a cat. It's funny because I grew up with cats and didn't develop the allergy until I turned 30.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...

message 30: by M. (new)

M. | 6 comments I have two cats. One sleeps with me every night and the other (age 20) is very independent and does her own thing. I look at my cat who sleeps with me and think of how many books we've "read" together (she sleeps, I read, though sometimes I'll fill her in on the plot especially if a feline is involved). Like people, every cat has his or her own personality. True blessings...Brad is right, their limited life span seems so unfair.

message 31: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments I was reading this morning and my cat comes and sits on the book. He then thought it would be fun to claw the pages :/ but when not feeling feisty he happily sits on my lap and we read Agatha Christie or watch Doctor Who. :')

message 32: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Cats are funny that way, Brooklyn. My brother's cat is always laying on the computer keyboard.

message 33: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Concepcion (maggiec19) | 6 comments We have 2 dogs and 2 cats (there used to be three, but he went all independent and established a clan on another street. mittens and dobby are still living with us, though and we love them to bits!

message 34: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Concepcion (maggiec19) | 6 comments by the way, dobby insists on being a hat, he is always curling up on my head. I think he thinks I am cold and that he needs to keep me warm. he is the sweetest of them all.

message 35: by Carolyn F. (new)

Maggie wrote: "We have 2 dogs and 2 cats (there used to be three, but he went all independent and established a clan on another street. mittens and dobby are still living with us, though and we love them to bits!"

That's so funny! My grandmother used to have a on-and-off cat that would come to visit for awhile and then go back home.

message 36: by Carolyn F. (new)

Maggie wrote: "by the way, dobby insists on being a hat, he is always curling up on my head. I think he thinks I am cold and that he needs to keep me warm. he is the sweetest of them all."

My boy dog likes to curl up in my lamp. I took a picture of it and put it on Facebook and my sister-in-law said he looked like he was breastfeeding. Thanks Michele for ruining a sweet moment!!

message 37: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Cats are like ghosts. They live with us, but they have their own secretive agendas. Cats are uncanny. They can be provoking, but also glamorous. They seem to know things. They seem slightly out of time. We project emotion onto them, they love us inscrutably, if at all. They have a keen sense of retribution. Cats see us and judge us.

From Ghostly: A Collection of Ghost Stories by Audrey Niffenegger

So, cat people out there: what do you think? True? False?