Cozy Mysteries discussion

Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - May 2015 - Cricket McRae

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (gravy) The Featured Author of the Month for May 2015 is Cricket McRae!
Here’s a link to her website: http://www.cricketmcrae.com/

A former resident of the Pacific Northwest where her novels are set, Cricket McRae has always dabbled in the kind of practical home crafts that were once necessary to everyday life. The magical chemistry of making soap, the satisfaction of canning garden produce, and the sensuous side of fiber arts like spinning and knitting are just a few of the reasons these activities have fascinated her since childhood. As a girl she was as much a fan of Nancy Drew as of Laura Ingalls Wilder, so it's no surprise that her contemporary cozy series features a soap maker with a nose for investigation.

Writing as Cricket McRae:
Home Crafting Mysteries
Lye in Wait
Heaven Preserve Us
Spin a Wicked Web
Something Borrowed, Something Bleu
Wined and Died
Deadly Row to Hoe

Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1) by Cricket McRae Heaven Preserve Us (Home Crafting Mystery, #2) by Cricket McRae Spin a Wicked Web (Home Crafting Mystery, #3) by Cricket McRae Something Borrowed, Something Bleu (Home Crafting Mystery, #4) by Cricket McRae Wined and Died (Home Crafting Mystery, #5) by Cricket McRae Deadly Row to Hoe (Home Crafting Mystery #6) by Cricket McRae

Writing as Bailey Cates:
Magical Bakery Mysteries
Brownies and Broomsticks
Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti
Charms and Chocolate Chips
Some Enchanted Éclair
Magic and Macaroons - July 2015

Brownies and Broomsticks (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #1) by Bailey Cates Bewitched, Bothered, and Biscotti (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #2) by Bailey Cates Charms and Chocolate Chips (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #3) by Bailey Cates Some Enchanted Éclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery #4) by Bailey Cates Magic and Macaroons (A Magical Bakery Mystery #5) by Bailey Cates

Happy Reading!!

message 2: by Blanche (new)

Blanche Manos (blanchedaymanos) | 14 comments I really enjoy her books.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (gravy) So do I! I haven't started the Home Crafting Mysteries, but they are on the never ending TBR list!

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Another great choice! I'm current on both series. Hoping she writes another in the Home Crafting series one of these days, as I prefer it to her Magical Bakery series. She's also a really nice gal. She lives just up the road in Ft. Collins, CO.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I thought the Home Crafting series were excellent!

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Woo-hoo!!! :) I just read Brownies and Broomsticks and loved it! I didn't realize that Bailey Cates was a pseudonym. Just checked my library, and they have some of the Home Crafting series, but not the first one. Guess I better get to the library to ILL it. ;) :)

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7226 comments I read Lye in Wait last summer and enjoyed it. Guess I'll see if the library has the second one in the series.

message 8: by Nell (last edited Apr 25, 2015 12:29PM) (new)

Nell | 1158 comments I'm a fan of the Magical Bakery books, I've read the first three. But I had forgotten that Bailey Cates is Cricket McRae. Now that I know I'm looking forward to reading Lye in Wait on my Kindle.

message 9: by Carla (new)

Carla Johnson-Hicks (carla1957) | 928 comments I just checked my library and they have some of the books by this author. I just have to finish the last two I have from April's author. I love finding new authors like this. Thanks

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Oh good, I have Heaven Preserve Us on my Kindle. This will give me the push to read it sooner rather than later.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Looks like Ms. McRae has a new series coming out next year too, starting with Daisies For Innocence: An Enchanted Garden Mystery under a new pseudonym (or her real name?).

Release date isn't until January, but I know some of us like to plan ahead. :)

message 12: by Nell (last edited Jun 02, 2015 03:37AM) (new)

Nell | 1158 comments Nell wrote: "I'm a fan of the Magical Bakery books, I've read the first three. But I had forgotten that Bailey Cates is Cricket McRae. Now that I know I'm looking forward to reading Lye in Wait ..."

I checked my Kindle list and discovered that I have the second Cricket McRae, Heaven Preserve Us. Is this a series that can be read out of order?

Update - I found Lye in Wait at my favorite UBS and started reading it.

message 13: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1887 comments I'll be reading Brownies and Broomsticks written as Bailey Cates. This is another new author for me!

message 14: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17767 comments Mod
BJ Rose wrote: "I'll be reading Brownies and Broomsticks written as Bailey Cates. This is another new author for me!"

This is the one I have in Mount TBR as well. And for all those doing the May Mini Challenge -- note that there are stars on the cover. ;-)

message 15: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1887 comments Thanks, Heather - about the stars on the cover. I don't have my copy yet, so I didn't realize that!

message 16: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments I've read all of the Magical Bakery series and loved it. I read Wined and Died several years ago. I think I liked it but didn't love it. I have Lye in Wait on my Kindle so I'll read that.

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7226 comments Just finished the second in the home crafting series and enjoyed it as much as the first. This is just a fun series with good characters and a story that moves at a good pace.

message 18: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17767 comments Mod
BJ Rose wrote: "Thanks, Heather - about the stars on the cover. I don't have my copy yet, so I didn't realize that!"

You're welcome! They're hard to see in online images of the cover, but there are a few of them. Getting ready to start this one tonight.

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Just finished Charms and Chocolate Chips. Another 5 star book! :) I really like the characters in this series. And, the magic that is infused into the story. I was completely clueless to the murderer in this one. Well, I figured it out at the same moment as Katie did. ;) All the clues just came together, and it was like, how'd I miss that? :) Another excellent Magical Bakery Mystery.

My library has very few of the Home Crafting Mysteries. For those who have read them, would it be OK to skip around a bit? If I need to, I can try to ILL the first one. :)

message 20: by Melodie (last edited May 08, 2015 02:04PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Kimberly wrote: "Just finished Charms and Chocolate Chips. Another 5 star book! :) I really like the characters in this series. And, the magic that is infused into the story. I was completely cluele..."

There's some relationship development and every now & then they refer back to another book, but I'm not a big stickler about reading in order so I'd go for it.

message 21: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 316 comments I really enjoyed Brownies and Broomsticks Brownies and Broomsticks (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #1) by Bailey Cates by Bailey Cates. this was the first I have read by this author, but I'm ready for more.

message 22: by Beth (new)

Beth | 616 comments I'm a fan of the Home Crafting Mystery series, and being a fellow Colorado mystery author, I've become acquainted with Cricket and am a fan of her, too. She's the nicest person you could meet. If you have a chance to meet her at a signing or conference appearance, do it!

message 23: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 142 comments I have read Lye in Wait and Broomsticks and Brownies and enjoyed both of them.

message 24: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 227 comments The Home Crafting Mystery Series by Cricket McRae is among my favourites :-)

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 324 comments I'm about halfway through Brownies and Broomsticks and really enjoying it so far. It's very cute. I'm going to Savannah next month and it's getting me in the mood. The author does a good job with the setting.

message 26: by Nell (last edited May 19, 2015 06:38AM) (new)

Nell | 1158 comments Finished Lye in Wait a couple of days ago. Good twisty mystery with characters I liked. This is the first I've read by her writing as Cricket McRae. (I'm a fan of her Magical Bakery series.) I have the next one, Heaven Preserve Us, on my Kindle.

Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1) by Cricket McRae

message 27: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1887 comments I read and enjoyed Brownies and Broomsticks, and will be getting the next in the series - if for no other reason than the last line of the book: "Hi, Mama… I think we need to talk." (You have to read the book to know what that means!)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2445 comments Melodie wrote: "Another great choice! I'm current on both series. Hoping she writes another in the Home Crafting series one of these days, as I prefer it to her Magical Bakery series. She's also a really nice gal...."

I agree. I miss her home crafting series.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2445 comments I am listening to Some Enchanted Éclair Some Enchanted Éclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery #4) by Bailey Cates on audiobook. I didn't realize she was the featured author when I started listening to it so it was a nice coincidence :)

message 30: by Gillian (new)

Gillian (gillian703) | 5 comments I started the first of the Magical Bakery series on Thursday and started the fourth this morning. I am enjoying the series. Can't wait until school finishes, then I can catch up on even more of the books on my TBR list.

message 31: by Carla (new)

Carla Johnson-Hicks (carla1957) | 928 comments I finally sat down and opened Brownies and Broomsticks (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #1) by Bailey Cates last night and am enjoying it. I know this will be an author I will read again. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 32: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments I finished reading Lye in Wait and really liked it. I'm going to read Heaven Preserve Us next month to meet the mini-challenge category of vegetables.

message 33: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Drummond | 41 comments I just finished reading Pickled Piper first in a new series Pickled and Preserves Mystery by Mary Ellen Hughes.

message 34: by Teresa (new)

Teresa LaRue | 37 comments I've read all of the Bailey Cates series. I enjoyed them all.

message 35: by Carla (new)

Carla Johnson-Hicks (carla1957) | 928 comments Teresa wrote: "I've read all of the Bailey Cates series. I enjoyed them all."

I really liked the one I read, and hope to read the rest of them.