Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Toni Morrison
This topic is about Toni Morrison
Specific List Authors > Toni Morrison

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | -1 comments Toni Morrison on the conversation we need to be having about race: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04...

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | -1 comments The Guardian's review of Toni Morrison's latest: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015...

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | -1 comments "I regret everything" Toni Morrison's interview on NPR: http://www.npr.org/2015/04/20/4003949...

message 4: by Sean (new)

Sean (fordest) | 719 comments Mod
Toni Morrison

February 18, 1931 to August 5, 2019

Rest in Peace Toni Morrison.

I just saw this news last night. We lost one of our LIST authors the previous Monday.

I have only read one of her books, The Bluest Eye. I read it twice and remember loving it the first time and only liking it more recently.

Beloved still haunts me since I saw the movie way back when. It's #6 on my to-read list. I'm planning it for a book club choice.

What about you? Which have you read? What was your favorite?

message 5: by Mercedes (last edited Aug 13, 2019 08:22AM) (new)

Mercedes (villadinorah) | 589 comments The Bluest Eye has been my favorite; it's amongst my special, six star books. Sula too I enjoyed, through all its wickedness. I also read Tar Baby, but that was a very long time ago; I need to revisit it. This year I'll probably read Jazz, which has been highly recommended.

This is an insurmountable loss. She lives on in her books, her example, and the inspiration she planted in many.

message 6: by BookLovingLady (last edited Aug 13, 2019 10:52PM) (new)

BookLovingLady Sean wrote: "

February 18, 1931 to August 5, 2019

Rest in Peace Toni Morrison.

I just saw this news last night. We lost one of our LIST authors the previous Monday.

I have only read one of ..."

I watched the movie made of Beloved and then I bought and read the book.

I've also read Jazz, Paradise and a long time ago (it being my first Toni Morrison book) The Bluest Eye.

So far I like The Bluest Eye best, although I've heard that Song of Solomon is also excellent, but I haven't read it myself yet.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen Hoehne | 830 comments Mod
Such a loss for American literature. One of my favorite authors!

message 8: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 225 comments I've only read Beloved, or rather, listened to it. Morrison read it herself, it was so powerful. I recommend it in that form if you get the chance.

All her books are out from the library, so it will probably be a while before I get the pleasure of another of her books.

message 9: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (villadinorah) | 589 comments Jennifer W wrote: "I've only read Beloved, or rather, listened to it. Morrison read it herself, it was so powerful. I recommend it in that form if you get the chance.

All her books are out from the libra..."

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm going to look up that recording. I haven't read Beloved yet, so I appreciate your comment.

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim | 310 comments The Bluest Eye is one of the most profound books I have ever read. It remains on my "Top 10" list to this day. May her soul rest in eternal peace and joy.

Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Beloved (other topics)
The Bluest Eye (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Toni Morrison (other topics)