What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > "Documentary-style" books e.g. In Cold Blood

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Apr 24, 2015 07:00AM) (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments I'd like some suggestions for non-fiction books which build up a picture of a community, an event or group of people etc. Some examples would be In Cold Blood or Underground

I also like Studs Terkel but something more up-to-date in that style would be good.

Sociology or psychology-type books are also good if they are based around interviews or people telling their life stories, e.g. Uncoupling: Turning Points in Intimate Relationships

message 2: by wanderer (new)

wanderer (vwanderer) | 23 comments In Broad Daylight

A small Missouri town takes justice into their own hands.

message 6: by Tina (new)

Tina | 128 comments I loved Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon which described his year as a ride along with the Baltimore PD.

This book is the non-fictional account that acts as basis of the TV shows Homicide(NBC) and The Wire (HBO).

message 7: by ``Laurie (new)

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments People Who Eat Darkness: The Fate of Lucie Blackman - not sure if this is what you are looking for, but read it recently and it was fascinating and sad.

message 9: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments The Stranger Beside Me, by Ann Rule. An account of her days working with Ted Bundy, before anyone knew about his "other side". I found it interesting, because she initially refused to believe that he could have committed the crimes that ultimately got him caught.

The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy: The Classic Story of Seduction and Murder

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 211 comments Granted it's an ethnographic text, but it may suit your brief In Search of Respect: Selling Crack in El Barrio

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39319 comments Mod
I haven't read it but someone compared This House of Grief to In Cold Blood. Sounds like it could be an interesting read.

message 12: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 274 comments Newjack: Guarding Sing Sing and other books by Ted Conover would work, it is what he does.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39319 comments Mod
Ordeal by Hunger: The Story of the Donner Party. It was written in the 30s but it does a good job of building up to an event.