♥ Nothing Better Than Reading!! ♥ discussion

BR & BOTM Archives > BR(5)- Phani ~ Rutu; Start Date--->1st May

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Phani (last edited Apr 24, 2015 07:00AM) (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments Hi all. This is first buddy read to me and also my partner.

Hope to enjoy this little adventure into the reading world.

message 2: by R (new)

R Thank you, Phani.
Yes same with me. I'm not really sure how to even use this site. Sooo. Well, I've modified the settings so you can check my to-read books but if you have any other suggestions outside it, I'm fine with it as well.

message 3: by Meera (new)

Meera | 4365 comments Hiii Phani..Hii Rutu...

Happy Reading Guys....:-):-)

message 4: by Phani (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments Meera wrote: "Hiii Phani..Hii Rutu...

Happy Reading Guys....:-):-)"

Thanks Meera

message 5: by Phani (last edited Apr 25, 2015 07:50AM) (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments Hi Rutu,

I selected few common books from to-read lists. Two of them are:
The Kite Runner
To Kill a Mockingbird
I have already read Animal Farm, but won't mind reading it again.

Other than the above I would like to consider
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Contact
The Notebook.
All the three are different genres, so we can read any one of your choice.

Rutu wrote: "Thank you, Phani.
Yes same with me. I'm not really sure how to even use this site. Sooo. Well, I've modified the settings so you can check my to-read books but if you have any other suggestions ou..."

message 6: by R (last edited Apr 27, 2015 02:14AM) (new)

R Hey Phani:)
Sorry for the delay in replying, busy two days...
I checked the three books you listed... I'll go with Contact, never really read sci-fi and think it might be worth trying...
I've watched the movie The Notebook, but it didn't charm me much, not sure how the book is...
And I usually read more than one book / month, so am ordering the first three from our common to-read list as well.

And thank you Meera :) Same to you!

message 7: by Annette (new)

Annette mathews (annettesara) | 212 comments Happy reading guys :) The Kite runner is a great book :)

message 8: by Jarvis (last edited Apr 27, 2015 02:42AM) (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments Guys, if you will read TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD, then I will jump in for a read :D:D

~~Poulomi Sylphrena Tonk$~~ | 1579 comments Hey Phani and Rutu! Happy reading! :)

Its okay if its your first BR, guys.. We all have to start somewhere. And we all are always here to help you two out. :)

Have fun!

message 10: by Phani (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments Thanks all for the warming comments.

Just now I got tangled with some work, due to which I will be busy for a week.

Hope it is okay. I'll try to cover this break in the weekend.

message 11: by R (new)

R Thank you all.
And it's alright, Phani... :)

message 12: by Phani (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments Rutu wrote: "Thank you all.
And it's alright, Phani... :)"

Which book do you wanna start first?

message 13: by Phani (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments Hi Rutu, I am planning to start TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. I'll be very happy if any one wants to read the book and joins us.

please let me know if there are any suggestions.

message 14: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments Phani, what do you mean by 'planning to start'? You already started it! :P
Btw, I am joining for mockingbird without invitation! :P
Shall start tomorrow :D

Yogya Hari Prakash Burra (hariprakash) | 40 comments Well, I have wanted to start TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD for quite sometime now, so I might join you guys too! :)

message 16: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments Hey Phani and Rutu and Yogya.... I started Mockingbird.... where are you guys?

message 17: by Phani (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments I am just about to finish 1st chapter

message 18: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments Okay... I will pause... I am on 4th chapter... temme when you reach 3rd ch :)

message 19: by Phani (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments Hmm... you are pretty fast. I am busy with an assignment. so, I won't be able to read much till Tuesday. Hope it's OK

message 20: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments Yeah, I had some time free when I was in bus.....
No problem... fine with me :)

Where is Rutu? :)

Yogya Hari Prakash Burra (hariprakash) | 40 comments I was traveling today , so didn't start it yet. I'll probably start by tomorrow or day after.
Maybe I should try reading in the bus too
Gehna, do you have a hard copy or an ebook reader in the bus? How is it till now?

message 22: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments Yogya, ya, you should read in bus :P :P
And I have a hard copy.... it is good... it is just the start, so can't say much... but it is good :)

message 23: by Phani (last edited May 01, 2015 07:24AM) (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments I don't know. I pm'ed her to post her status in thread.
Gehna wrote: "Yeah, I had some time free when I was in bus.....
No problem... fine with me :)

Where is Rutu? :)"

message 24: by Phani (last edited May 01, 2015 10:15AM) (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments I finished 3rd chapter.
Gehna wrote: "Okay... I will pause... I am on 4th chapter... temme when you reach 3rd ch :)"

Hi Hari. Have you started? It's always nice to have more people to share.

message 25: by R (last edited May 01, 2015 11:28PM) (new)

R Sorry guys, I think I was looking in some wrong place for this thread... but now I've figured it out. And glad all of you kept it going, I'll probably read those chapters today, I just got it delivered yesterday... New books smell so good :P

And welcome to all those joining in the reading. The more the merrier!

message 26: by Jarvis (last edited May 01, 2015 11:31PM) (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments @Phani... okay, she came :)

Rutu, thanks Rutu... got a new book? Same pinch! :D

message 27: by Phani (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments It's nice to have all on board.
Gehna wrote: "@Phani... okay, she came :)

Rutu, thanks Rutu... got a new book? Same pinch! :D"

message 28: by Jarvis (last edited May 01, 2015 11:51PM) (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments It is nice to join you both, actually! :)

message 29: by R (new)

R Haha yes Gehna, (btw, nice name)... I cannot read e-books for some reason.
And I might need time until tomorrow morning for the first few chapters.

message 30: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments Thank you :D
No problem for me... I am reading other books also, so I can wait... :-)

message 31: by Phani (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments @Rutu Let us know when you reach 4th chapter. We all can read in sync from then. Even i have some problem with ebooks(even with kindle) :( It's not a big issue. Take your time to read.

@Gehna How is "The Little Prince" going?

message 32: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments @Phani.. Little Prince is good... It's a children's book but it is very deep and food for the thought kinda book :D

message 33: by Phani (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments Gehna wrote: "@Phani.. Little Prince is good... It's a children's book but it is very deep and food for the thought kinda book :D"
Yeah...It is my favorite book. I asked you because you were taking a long time to read and wanted to know if you didn't like it much.

message 34: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments No, actually, I am reading its ebook... So I usually go slow with them and prefer hardcopies :)

message 35: by Phani (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments If you are not reading on kindle, then try to read the one which has colors.

message 36: by R (new)

R Thank you all for waiting, I just finished 3 chapters...
I think we'll wait for Yogya to reply and reach the 4th ?

The language is so cute!!

message 37: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments @Phani... my ebook is black and white, so it will appear colourless on all readers... :(

@Rutu.. yeah, I guess we can wait....

message 38: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments Okay, lets start the discussion... both you guys, temme your thoughts about ...
1. The three kids.
2. The way of narration.
3. Radleys.

message 39: by R (new)

R That's nice, Gehna, I was wondering what they did in Buddy Reads :P

So let me think...
1... The kids well... Jem comes off as a bit of show off of his brotherly feelings and feeling embarrassed by his sister in school, they're all very common to children that age.
Scout, well, I totally sympathize with her dilemma on being asked not to read. And the language of the book is in sync with her character.
I'm not sure by the third kid, you mean Dill or Walter?

2. I loved the way of narration, and though it was a bit different, I think it conveys the accent of that part of the world.

3. The Radleys... I'm not sure yet. For the first chapter I thought it was a haunted house, then came the revelation it is not. So let's see :D

One of the quotes so far:
"I never loved to read. One never loves breathing."

message 40: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments @Rutu...Hehe, I guessed that since both you and Phani are Buddy reading for the first time :D

1. I too like Scout's narration.... and I agree about Jem, but all bid brothers are like that onlu, so I actually agree with it...

Third kid = Dill :)

2. Same pinch...

3. I too thought it was a haunted house... or a house with a grumpy old man :D :P

Btw, were are able to guess Scout is a girl?
Last night I was talking to a friend, and she said that she wasn't able guess Scout's gender... and her Buddy reading friends were also not able to guess it :P

I was able to tell that Scout is a girl :D

message 41: by Phani (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments 1.I liked the way the characterizations of three kids were developed.

2.I liked her narration. May be because I was the smallest kid among my cousins when I was a kid. Few times I kinda remembered my memories.

3.Radleys...Initially I thought that it is an abandoned house which looks like a haunted one...but now i feel that it may not be so...Lets see how it turns out!!!

Initially I wasn't able to infer she is a girl. I had to re-read again to find out.

message 42: by Phani (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments I finished 5th chapter in the morning. Reading 6th one now.

message 43: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments Phani, STOP! AND WAIT FOR OTHERS! :O :P :P

message 44: by Phani (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments I was traveling in the bus for an hour. So, I read at that time....sorry...

message 45: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments @Phani... oh.. you also thought it was a haunted house..,, :)

message 46: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis  | 1187 comments Phani wrote: "I was traveling in the bus for an hour. So, I read at that time....sorry..."

Don't have to say sorry... we were actually just waiting for Yogya... if he does not come here, we can get back to fast pace, thik hai? :D

message 47: by Phani (last edited May 03, 2015 02:32AM) (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments ok

Have you seen "Monster House" movie. The scenario is very similar at least till now.

message 48: by R (new)

R Haven't seen that. I read a couple of more chapters because I just couldn't hold back :P But I'll stop now.
And its becoming more spooky.

message 49: by Phani (new)

Phani Raj (phaniraj) | 78 comments What is the current status of every one?

I am sixth chapter with out any change from last time.

message 50: by R (new)

R yes 6th for me as well.

« previous 1