British Literature discussion

Book Nominations & Voting > 44 Scotland Street

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan (twins69) | 11 comments I enjoy reading this series from Alexander McCall Smith.

message 2: by Dena (new)

Dena Huff (huffreadsstuff) | 6 comments I love AMS. This is my least favorite series, though. I love all the others. There's nothing wrong with this one, it just doesn't capture my attention like the others.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (twins69) | 11 comments It's good for reading at night before bed. I was reading the Outlander's series. This feels like finding the right pair of shoes, heaven.

message 4: by Dena (new)

Dena Huff (huffreadsstuff) | 6 comments Nice! It's always wonderful to have that feeling. Don't get me started on Outlander! I have very strong (negative) feelings about it. I'm not usually negative about books, though, I promise. Actually, what I learned from not liking Outlander is that people have very different opinions and experiences with books - and that's the way it should be.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (twins69) | 11 comments I liked the spinoff Lord John Grey series too.

message 6: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Spencer For me, though I was excited about the tv series of Outlander, because it had the actor who played Mr. Elliot in a movie version of Persuasion, and it had time travel of sorts, and swords and muskets and the like, and some romance, I was shocked by the graphic scenes of sex. I wouldn't pick up the books.
But I looked at Smith's bio on Wikipedia. I've never read anything by him. But he's British, and well educated. Have we read any books by him in this group? Maybe you could suggest one for a vote next month. (or the month after, as I see we already have a poll going).

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (twins69) | 11 comments Good idea. I think that it would be perfect for this group.

message 8: by Dena (new)

Dena Huff (huffreadsstuff) | 6 comments I've read nearly all of them. I love him. The Isabel Dalhousie series is great (takes place in Scotland) and of course, the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, which is set in Botswana. I also like the Portuguese Irregular Verbs series and Corduroy Mansions, though not as much as the first two I mentioned. Enjoy!

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (twins69) | 11 comments Emma, a modern retelling is a new book that Alexander McCall Smith has available. At my library, they file his books under Alexander McCall.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (twins69) | 11 comments Alexander won a pig for a literary prize for a comedic book of his about feasting. He said that they are very intelligent animals. Food for thought.