You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > May 2015 Challenge - Big Brother Says

Comments Showing 1-50 of 263 (263 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Apr 26, 2015 05:24PM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16832 comments For May, I want you to go to your bookshelf. Choose one of your favourite books, one of your 5 star reads. Then I want you to click on the book to go to the book's page.

When you are on your books page, and stop reveling in how good that book was (it's okay, we all do it), I want you to wander your mouse over to the "Readers Also Enjoyed" section in the top right hand corner of the page. Give it a click. Go on. You know you want to.

photo may 2015 1_zpssfv1vo00.jpg

Where you should end up (but I realise this is Goodreads and this can be unpredictable) is on a page that states "Goodreads members who liked *insert your book here* also liked:" and a list of 10-19 books below (number changes but there seems to be around these).

Right. Good hoop jumping. Welcome to the list you are reading off! Your mission for this month is to read one of these books on this list. Yay!

What I want you to do is to read one of these books. You can choose which one and any reason why. If the favourite you picked doesn't yield good results (one of mine only gave me books in Finnish for example, while interesting, not very useful for me) pick another and go from there.

photo May 2015 2_zpsopffn9ye.jpg

In this thread, tell us what book you chose to start with (your favourite) and what you chose.

In the reporting thread:

- Remind us of the book and the favourite.
- Did you like the new book? Give me a sentence (or more) on why.
- Do you think it was a good recommendation by Big Brother Goodreads? Was it similar? Was it as good? Was it completely unrelated and they all need to to have their head flushed out?

No points. I want you to rip into the recommendation system, both good and bad, read something awesome, and maybe knock off something you've been meaning to get to. Oh and enjoy.

P.S. It's only the books on the list. If it tells you a series but book 4 you can't read book 1. Only the books mentioned. So in my example above it recs Peter Grant #2, but I can't read Peter Grant #1. I'm sure there will be more P.Ss as time goes on...

P.P.S Told you!

General Rules:

1. The book may be in any format - paperback, ebook, audiobook.
2. The book may be in any genre.
3. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Serial Killer Challenge.
4. The book must be read between 1 May to 31 May (based on your own time zone).

message 2: by Pragya (last edited Apr 24, 2015 05:51AM) (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3533 comments What an awesome challenge, Rusalka. I love it! I have never used that feature before. Off to find my read (never mind that I am still to finish my April challenge read).

Update (3 minutes later): I loved Looking for Alaska and always keep gushing about it. So I went to the Readers also enjoyed page and found The Mockingbirds. I have had this book since about 3 years now. Time to read it! :D

message 3: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16832 comments Hehe I won't tell Janice.

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14767 comments Awesome challenge!

*Abandons dissertation writing and goes off gophering*

message 5: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Apr 24, 2015 06:00AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16832 comments Peggy wrote: "*Abandons dissertation writing and goes off gophering*"

Just don't tell your supervisor! One of our PhD students blamed me for introducing her to Goodreads the other day on why her chapter wasn't finished!! I don't need any more of that!

message 6: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16832 comments Pragya wrote: "Update (3 minutes later): ..."

Woot!

message 7: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14767 comments No worries, I'm having a lousy day so far anyway ;-)

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bd200789) I chose The Scarlet Pimpernel, which recommended Lorna Doone: A Romance of Exmoor. That's been on my kindle for ages, so I'll read that.

message 9: by Debra (last edited Apr 24, 2015 07:00AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I have so many favorite books, but I decided to see what Stephen King's The Stand would reveal. I found a book I've already got on my TBR list, The Postman, so I'm all set. Already ordered it from the library.

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47806 comments Rusalka wrote: "Hehe I won't tell Janice."

What won't you tell me? Oh, that Pragya hasn't finished her April read? Debra hasn't either. Hehehehe!

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47806 comments I quickly peeked at my 5 star shelf and decided that I would like to see what books Big Brother would suggest for Affinity. This will take more than a quick peek. Two were on my wishlist, and I suspect a few more will end up there. One of the books on my wishlist is a #1 in a series. Just what I need, another series to start. But it looks so good.

message 12: by Bella (new)

Bella | 502 comments I've only really added books from 2014 to the present- and a bunch of books at the end of 2014 didn't get added. Still, I only have three books rated five stars; two of those are rereads. I went through my Excel list of 2014 books, but there aren't any 5 star books I need to add. However, one of my five star books, Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, has quite a few books I've been wanting to read. (Quite a few Pulitzer Prize winners and other awards, like the Man Booker.)

message 13: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 991 comments I have a lot to read atm so I wanted something lighthearted. I went with this 5 star read from last year Come, Thou Tortoise which was a hilarious book but also had some depth. The recommendations were pretty off, mostly there for being set in Newfoundland. I found two though: Amphibian and Shelf Monkey I'm going to read the former and TBR the latter. Great idea for a challenge!

message 14: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3074 comments One of my 5-star reads is A Fair Barbarian byFrances Hodgson Burnett.

The recommended books are several that I wouldn't mind reading:
Lady of Quality
Charity Girl
Wired Love: A Romance of Dots and Dashes
and
The Young Visiters, or Mr. Salteena's Plan

The last book is intriguing. Written in 1890 by a 9-year-old girl, it was finally published in 1919 complete with spelling errors. It's been called an amusing spoof on Victorian society.

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13155 comments Great challenge! Gophering!!

message 16: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 1643 comments Wow, this is just way too many options. I don't know how I will choose...

message 17: by Sandra (last edited Apr 24, 2015 09:11AM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9272 comments Rusalka, this challenge sounds so good! I don't remember using this feature for myself, but I have used it looking for books for my kids.

Gophering time!

message 18: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9272 comments It was difficult. So many good books!

I think I'll go with A Thread of Grace, since was enjoyed by reader of two 5 stars books to me: The Thirteenth Tale and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

My second option is The Sandcastle Girls suggested by readers of The Orchardist

message 19: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14767 comments Dawn wrote: "Wow, this is just way too many options. I don't know how I will choose..."

Indeed! And I've added about 10 books to my TBR already since the challenge was posted.

I wanted to use A Thousand Splendid Suns, which gives me some books I read already (and proves that the recommendations are not necessarily similar in genre, one of the recs is Still Alice), three I have on my TBR and own but don't really feel like reading, and one I have on my TBR and really want to read but don't own. And I've added a few to my tbr, have to look into getting them.

My alternatives 5 star reads are Burial Rites, Mudbound and The Invention of Wings

message 20: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2615 comments Rusalka, it is a great challenge, and I can already tell it is going to be an incredible time-sink to gopher for. I think I have already spent close to an hour looking for recommendations for various five-star books. I was surprised to realize that I had 90 five-star books on my "books I have read" list. I've been taking notes, so I can always go back to the first book I found, in case that is the intent of the rules. I continue to be impressed with the creativity behind the challenges you come up with.

message 21: by Almeta (last edited Apr 24, 2015 03:19PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10068 comments Highway to the Danger Zone!!!

I've added 22 books to my shelves and must avert my eyes from every one else's 5-star entries!

I've eliminated any series books, so that when I read them they will count for the Serial Killer challenge.

Many recommendations do not seem to fit, for instance:

while Fingersmith had a Gay theme, what made it fabulous was the whack-you-over-the-head twists. I want that again, not necessarily books shelved as GLBT.

just because Perfume: The Story of a Murderer was a German translation for me, doesn't mean I want to read all German books.

Anyway I've narrowed my list down to these few. Can't take the pressure of deciding today!☻

The NecromancerThe Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart
The Book ThiefThe Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
Life of PiQ & A OR ➵ The Blind Assassin
The Girl in a SwingIf You Could See Me Now
Perfume: The Story of a MurdererThe Invention of Curried Sausage
HolesWhere the Mountain Meets the Moon

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Apr 24, 2015 11:52AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47806 comments Peggy wrote: "Indeed! And I've added about 10 books to my TBR already since the challenge was posted."

I suspect Rusalka had an ulterior motive in this challenge. I wonder if the gluestick will go to the person who added the most books to their wishlists.

"My alternatives 5 star reads are Burial Rites, Mudbound..."

I have both these books on my 5 star shelf as well, and they'd surely spark some interesting reads.

message 23: by Lisa (last edited Apr 24, 2015 11:55AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I chose The Shadow of the Wind (my all time favourite book) and one of the recommendations that came up was The Gargoyle which has been on my TBR pile for a couple of years now. I am looking forward to finally reading it.

message 24: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47806 comments Almeta wrote: "I've added 22 books to my shelves and must avert my eyes from every one else's 5-star entries!"

Oops! LOL! I've added two so far, but then I have barely scratched the surface.

"while Fingersmith had a Gay theme, what made it fabulous was the whack-you-over-the-head twists. I want that again, not necessarily books shelved as GLBT...."

You didn't read Affinity? There's a couple there that look twisty - As Meat Loves Salt. That one is a possibility for me.

"The Book Thief ➵ The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian"

Oh, and I have Part-Time Indian, too. One more thing to consider. I wasn't going to look at the books for The Book Thief because I figured they'd all be WWII stories.

Yes, Almeta... you've led me down that Danger Zone road.

message 25: by Thing Two (new)

Thing Two (thingtwo) Almeta wrote: "Highway to the Danger Zone!!!

I've added 22 books to my shelves and must avert my eyes from every one else's 5-star entries!

I've eliminated any series books, so that when I read them they will c..."

I loved The Invention of Curried Sausage! Highly recommend it!

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47806 comments And now I can't get that damned song out of my head!

message 27: by Thing Two (last edited Apr 24, 2015 02:03PM) (new)

Thing Two (thingtwo) I'm looking at the following (but I forgot to note where I got them, so bear with me while I go back and find that info ...)

The Son <-- from The Good Lord Bird
Whites <-- from What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank
Arrow of God <-- from Half of a Yellow Sun
The Master Builder <-- from Mrs. Warren's Profession
The Narrow Road to the Deep North <-- from All the Light We Cannot See
Redeployment <-- from Lila
The Book of Unknown Americans <-- from Lila
Us Conductors <-- from 419
His Family <--from Tinkers

message 28: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments This is a fascinating challenge! I can't wait to start gophering... I already have several tabs open in my browser based on the books that have been mentioned here to look into. I can only imagine what my TBR list will be looking like when I actually start gophering!

message 29: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 1643 comments There are some good choices for this, I'm a regular user of the recommend feature so I'm not adding any more books because I've already got them on my TBR.

This is a good challenge just to pick what I'm in the mood for so I'm starting a list:

Tower Lord >>> The Widow's House
The House of Medici: Its Rise and Fall >>> The Medici: Godfathers of the Renaissance or City of Fortune: How Venice Won and Lost a Naval Empire or 5 other books
In Conquest Born >>> A Thousand Words for Stranger
Hild >>> King Hereafter
Legend >>> Empire in Black and Gold
Murther and Walking Spirits >>> Who Has Seen the Wind
Gulag: A History >>> Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin
A Good House >>> The Time In Between or The Polished Hoe or 12 other books.

message 30: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4202 comments Is there a minumum pages?
I sorted my read shelf by rating. The 1st 5* wasLa petite fille de Monsieur Linh and i found Ravel, 128 pages. This usually to short for monthly challenges. Can I take it or should I gopher some more?

message 31: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie This challenge looks so much fun!! I'm hoping to take part :-)

message 32: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments Excellent challenge. My first thought was to use The Warded Man but that gives loads of books with loads of pages all of which are series. So I think I might need to be strategic with which book I choose as my "favorite". I use the facility a lot and I agree that it does increase your TBR. I've not added anything (yet) while gophering.

And thanks Almeta for the earworm.

message 33: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments I've already added a lot of books and I'm still working through my 5 star reads. I've got 9 possibles right now, I'll gopher some more before I decide though.

message 34: by Almeta (last edited Apr 24, 2015 03:00PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10068 comments Janice wrote: "You didn't read Affinity? There's a couple there that look twisty - As Meat Loves Salt. That one is a possibility for me.

"The Book Thief ➵ The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian"

Oh, and I have Part-Time Indian, too. One more thing to consider. I wasn't going to look at the books for The Book Thief because I figured they'd all be WWII stories.

Yes, Almeta... you've led me down that Danger Zone road. ..."

Affinity is on my TBR.

As Meat Loves Salt does look interesting. I've added it. Wish that I could get an audio version of it. Am I ready to read a "doorstop"?

The Invention of Curried Sausage may be too soon after having read City of Women. I thought that I wanted to take a break from War books.

Looks as though we are traveling the Danger Zone together!☺

message 35: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10068 comments Thing Two wrote: "I loved The Invention of Curried Sausage! Highly recommend it! ..."

Hmmm, your recommendation may help me to decide!

message 36: by Bella (new)

Bella | 502 comments Almeta wrote: "Janice wrote: "You didn't read Affinity? There's a couple there that look twisty - As Meat Loves Salt. That one is a possibility for me.

"The Book Thief ➵ The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time ..."

The Invention of Curried Sausage is on the 1001 Books list. For only one year, I think it's from the first year's list. My library got rid of all of its copies of this book and I had to buy it. It's been sitting in various places for about 7 years.

message 37: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10068 comments Janice wrote: "And now I can't get that damned song out of my head!"

Sarah wrote: "And thanks Almeta for the earworm. ..."

Always glad to help ;0)

message 38: by Almeta (last edited Apr 24, 2015 03:31PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10068 comments Bella wrote: "The Invention of Curried Sausage is on the 1001 Books list. For only one year, I think it's from the first year's list. ..."

Ooooh? AND I have committed myself to a challenge of reading 5 Boxall books this year.

message 39: by Bella (new)

Bella | 502 comments Almeta wrote: "Bella wrote: "The Invention of Curried Sausage is on the 1001 Books list. For only one year, I think it's from the first year's list. ..."

Ooooh? AND I have committed myself to a challenge of rea..."

I checked my spreadsheet and it's definitely a 1001 Book. It's also really short- the edition I have is a very slim, undersized hardcover. It's about the size of a paperback.

message 40: by Stephanie (last edited Apr 24, 2015 04:50PM) (new)

Stephanie My favorite all time book The Art of Racing in the Rain so I'm going to read Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him. I started this book and gave up on it after only one chapter. I have hard from several people that it is a good book so I'm going to give it another try :) plus it has a golden retriever on the cover ;)

message 41: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Apr 24, 2015 05:47PM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16832 comments Esther wrote: "Is there a minumum pages?
I sorted my read shelf by rating. The 1st 5* wasLa petite fille de Monsieur Linh and i found Ravel, 128 pages. This usually to short for mon..."

Not this time. Because I forgot. So exploit it and go for the small book if you really want to read it.

message 42: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Great challenge. Once I'm finished with my april reads, I'll get gophering!

message 43: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13155 comments Glad I'm not the only one adding to my TBR! Here are my top pics so far, though there are quite a few others I want to read as well.

Big Little Lies -> Little Mercies or The Auschwitz Escape or Nowhere But Home

One Plus One -> The Sweetness of Forgetting

The Storyteller -> Necessary Lies or Whistling Past the Graveyard

My Sister's Keeper -> The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes or The Weight of Silence

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47806 comments I'm off to make some popcorn to feed the gopher. We have work to do.

message 45: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14767 comments OMG it's actually an animal?! I never knew! I looked it up and I have even never heard of the Dutch name for them.

message 46: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3533 comments Rusalka wrote: "Peggy wrote: "*Abandons dissertation writing and goes off gophering*"

Just don't tell your supervisor! One of our PhD students blamed me for introducing her to Goodreads the other day on why her c..."

Wow, creative excuse! I should try that some time. ;)

Great break from dissertation writing, eh, Peggy?

message 47: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3533 comments So many books! I am just not looking in this thread. *backs away slowly*

message 48: by Roz (last edited May 02, 2015 06:28PM) (new)

Roz | 3541 comments I just started looking through my books and didn't realize a had so many 5-stars. Close to thirty. First I eliminated the series books (I'm with you on that, Almeta). That eliminated 8. Then I kicked out any non-fiction (not in the mood). Pursued the ones that were left and came up with a list of possibilities.

Swan Song >> A Gift Upon the Shore (own it)

The Paris Architect >> The Plum Tree

11/22/63 >> Replay

The Distant Hours >>. Russian Winter (on my kindle)

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet >> The Street of a Thousand Blossoms (own it)

The Yellow House >> When We Were Strangers

As I looked I found that several books showed up on multiple lists , a lot of overlap. I'm anticipating a growing TBR shelf.

message 49: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13155 comments Pragya wrote: "So many books! I am just not looking in this thread. *backs away slowly*"

lol, I think I'm going to add more books from this thread than from the recommendations!! One thread where everyone lists their 5✭ reads is very dangerous for my TBR!

message 50: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Roz, loved Swan Song and 11/22/63. Glad to see you and I agree on those. Will have to check out the others to see if I'm going to be adding more to my TBR shelf.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6