Urban Fantasy discussion

UF BOOK CHAT > Sex in paranormal romance/urban fantasy books. Do the poll.

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Do the poll!
There's been some discussion lately—thanks to Fifty Shades—about the amount of sex in books. I'm specifically interested in the paranormal romance/urban fantasy genre. That's what I write in, and I've included a couple of sex scenes in each of my books because that's what I assumed readers wanted. Or is it?
Here's the link to the poll, if you'd like to take part
http://timamarialacoba.blogspot.com.a...

message 2: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Valentic (tvalentic) | 12 comments I think some sex is okay but must be cohesive with plot somehow and not just sex for sex's sake.

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Valentic (tvalentic) | 12 comments I think some sex is okay but must be cohesive with plot somehow and not just sex for sex's sake.

message 4: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda Your poll was difficult for me to start because I really don't care how explicit the sex is in PNR/UF books. I don't care for a book that has so much sex that one wonders if there's a plot; or that the plot is so flimsy, a lot of sex is needed as a filler so that the book is a book and not a novella.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Teresa wrote: "I think some sex is okay but must be cohesive with plot somehow and not just sex for sex's sake."

I agree, Teresa. It has to be an integral part of the plot. Thanks for your comment.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sorry you found it difficult, Madame Zelda. Maybe if I do another one of these surveys, I'll be more specific. Thank you for you comment.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

—THIS POLL IS NOW CLOSED—

message 8: by Lily (last edited Jul 18, 2015 08:02AM) (new)

Lily (lilithesque) | 84 comments I was going to do it but the first question was not answerable for me. Sex and the level of it depends on the book. Now I love Sunny, and her books could almost be erotica, or maybe they are. I like the plot, story and her depiction of sex. It works. I like Marion Zimmer Bradley who made her sex much less explicit and the love and forplay played much heavier. I am fine if there is only attraction. The story matters. I dont like paranormal romance in general. It is too formula driven. However, some writers do it well, as in a great story, think Lori Handland or Elaine Wilks.

message 9: by Nicola (new)

Nicola White | 14 comments What were the results of the poll?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Lily wrote: "I was going to do it but the first question was not answerable for me. Sex and the level of it depends on the book. Now I love Sunny, and her books could almost be erotica, or maybe they are. I ..."

Thanks for your input, Lily. I haven't read any of those authors. Might give them a try :-) I found that not all pnr follows a specific formula - mine certainly doesn't, but then it's more of a suspense thriller.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicola wrote: "What were the results of the poll?"

Hi Nicola, the final results were, interestingly, a tie between As Hot As You Can Get and Non-Explicit Sex, with Explicit Sex running close behind. You can see the results here: http://timamarialacoba.blogspot.com.a...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

***THIS POLL IS NOW CLOSED***

message 13: by K.D. (new)

K.D. McQuain (kd_mcquain) | 37 comments There is already plenty of YA fiction out there, if you're not targeting that audience then I have absolutely no problem with including more adult content.

message 14: by Jeana (new)

Jeana Budnick | 15 comments Personally, I prefer adult books that have little to no sex. A little bit is fine, but when the two characters have practically just met and then go at it for like 10 pages it gets irritating. I do read PNR, but I can't read a lot of it at once. Unfortunately, a lot of vampire and werewolf/shifter books are in the Romance section. I have a bit of a beef with "romance" novels in general though.

message 15: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Carabella (jdcarabella) | 3 comments I like steamy when it makes sense to have sex. Even Harry Dresden had hot sex when there was sex. I wouldn't want a 'fade to black violence' anymore than I'd want a 'fade to black sex' - but I do expect it to be part of the story and character development.

message 16: by Lexxi Kitty (new)

Lexxi Kitty (lexxikitty) | 18 comments hmm. I don't recall Harry Dresden having hot sex. I recall some 'suggested sex' involving him and fae and (view spoiler) but even the sex (view spoiler) didn't seem that explicit to me.

message 17: by John (new)

John Pirillo (johnpirillo) | 60 comments Just not interested. People loving each other. Real love. Now that's hot!