Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and Readers discussion

Sex in paranormal romance/urban fantasy books

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Do the poll!
There's been some discussion lately—thanks to Fifty Shades—about the amount of sex in books. I'm specifically interested in the paranormal romance/urban fantasy genre. That's what I write in, and I've included a couple of sex scenes in each of my books because that's what I assumed readers want. Is it?
Here's the link to the poll, if you'd like to take part
http://timamarialacoba.blogspot.com.a...

message 2: by Jim (last edited Apr 27, 2015 08:05AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic There exists as much diversity among readers as within any specific segment of the population. Individual tastes are as numerous as the number of literary genres available.

Sex is a part of life. Its existence cannot be denied and should not be ignored. If a scene in a novel calls for it, how graphic or vague the narrative description of the act should be depends upon the author and the targeted audience. Different strokes for different folks.

An ultra-conservative reader usually abhors detailed narratives regarding sex. To a more liberal-minded reader, it really doesn't matter; some actually prefer and are drawn to erotica. Authors should follow their gut instinct and artistic sensibilities. An attempt to please everyone is impossible and usually ends badly.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Chanticleer (rachelchanticleer) | 39 comments Voted!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, Jim. The range of tastes varies widely, and it's great that there are enough books out there for everyone. I know my books won't please every reader - that's impossible. But as long as I keep my readership happy, that's fine with me.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Rachel :-) I'm curious to see the results once they're all tallied. Should be interesting.

message 6: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 194 comments I can deal with sex in books as long as there is more to the story than just straight sex. You know? I cannot stand romance stories that have nothing but sex and sex. A few is okay, but just don't go overboard.

message 7: by Aden (new)

Aden | 2 comments I do not mind one way or another if there is sex, as long as it makes sense for the story and the characters in it. I recently read a story where it seemed like the author was just plugging in sex because he thought there should be some. But, it made the characters incredibly unlikable. It can be a sign of lazy storytelling.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Serena wrote: "I can deal with sex in books as long as there is more to the story than just straight sex. You know? I cannot stand romance stories that have nothing but sex and sex. A few is okay, but just don't ..."

If the story is good, and draws the reader in, there's probably no need for a sex scene. To throw one in, for the sake of it, can actually ruin it. Thanks for your comment, Serena.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Aden wrote: "I do not mind one way or another if there is sex, as long as it makes sense for the story and the characters in it. I recently read a story where it seemed like the author was just plugging in sex ..."

Or using sex in the hope of luring readers. It's understandable some authors do it. Just look at the success of 50 Shades.

message 10: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Greyling | 7 comments Aden wrote: "I do not mind one way or another if there is sex, as long as it makes sense for the story and the characters in it. I recently read a story where it seemed like the author was just plugging in sex ..."

I agree Aden, it needs to flow naturally from the story. I do however, have an issue with novels marketed as young adult that have explicit sex scenes. If there is adult content, you need to at least give your readers a heads up.

message 11: by Uma (new)

Uma (witcheyez) | 4 comments A reader aka a friend told me that my book was too clean because it contained no explicit sex scenes. She said it was more of a teen fiction. Then again, there were others who were able to look at the maturity within the story and relate. So, my guess is, there are some who only find a book amazing when it has explicit sex scenes and relate those scenes to mature adulthood.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Uma wrote: "A reader aka a friend told me that my book was too clean because it contained no explicit sex scenes. She said it was more of a teen fiction. Then again, there were others who were able to look at ..."

Exactly, Uma. That's why it's best to write for yourself first - what fits your story - and aim for the readers who like the same. Because, no matter what, you won't please everyone. Thanks for your comment.

message 13: by Uma (new)

Uma (witcheyez) | 4 comments Truth be told, when there are too many sex scenes in a book, I just flip through it to get back to the story. I look for the plot. And when I can't find that, I feel betrayed.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Uma wrote: "Truth be told, when there are too many sex scenes in a book, I just flip through it to get back to the story. I look for the plot. And when I can't find that, I feel betrayed."

You and me both :-) That's why I'm careful which books I choose, and avoid erotica for that reason. But, that's me.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that it depends on who the book is marketed for. Either way, if there is sex it should be important to a plot or a relationship, but at the same time it shouldn't be shorthand for a character being in love with another.

message 16: by Aden (new)

Aden | 2 comments Caroline wrote: "Aden wrote: "I do not mind one way or another if there is sex, as long as it makes sense for the story and the characters in it. I recently read a story where it seemed like the author was just plu..."

Agreed

Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and...

unread topics | mark unread