Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books discussion

Week 18: 27th April - 3rd May

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sylvia (last edited Apr 24, 2015 03:50AM) (new)

Sylvia  | 13086 comments Mod
We are up to Week 18 of this challenge.

The topic for this week is:

18. a Pulitzer-prize winning book

Guidelines:

* You must read and review at least 1 book of any genre.
* REMEMBER to sign up on the home page and name your folder, WEEKLY CHALLENGE: Week 18...https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...
* ADD the link to your folder here in the weekly discussion/topic thread.
* Don't forget to have fun!

Challenge will begin Monday 27th April and End Sunday 3rd May.

message 2: by Sylvia (new)

Here are some Pulitzer-Prize Winning Lists.

Fiction and Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

General Non-fiction: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

Biographies & Autobiographies: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

History: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

Poetry: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 3: by Sylvia (new)

Hmmm not sure what to read. I've read a few from the list. Maybe I should finally read On the Road by Jack Kerouac although I've got to get my copy from my sister. She's had it forever lol

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments I'm reading All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr . It just won a Pulitzer :-)

message 5: by Sylvia (new)

Melissa wrote: "I'm reading All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. It just won a Pulitzer :-)"

Yes, that just won this year.

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 7239 comments Mod
I think I'm going to read Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides for this one.

message 7: by Sylvia (new)

Tracy wrote: "I think I'm going to read Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides for this one."

Ooh, this was an Oprah Book Club book and I remember wanting to read this so much.

message 8: by Belkis (last edited Apr 24, 2015 05:39PM) (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Hmm.. let's see what I can find that interests me for this week's challenge :) I'll be back!

Okay, I struggle with non-fiction, I strongly dislike biographies, have aversion to history, hate unhappy stories, hahahaha! Okay, I see a theme here :P but i found this one in the poetry list and I actually want to read this one Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1037 comments Oh my. I hope these lists pop up something i own.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1037 comments Melissa wrote: "I'm reading All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. It just won a Pulitzer :-)"

Ive wanted to read this too, but not sure i want to buy it.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments It's pretty good so far.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments Belkis wrote: "Hmm.. let's see what I can find that interests me for this week's challenge :) I'll be back!

Okay, I struggle with non-fiction, I strongly dislike biographies, have aversion to history, hate unhap..."

Well there you go :-)

message 13: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Melissa wrote: "Belkis wrote: "Hmm.. let's see what I can find that interests me for this week's challenge :) I'll be back!

Okay, I struggle with non-fiction, I strongly dislike biographies, have aversion to hist..."

Thank goodness because otherwise I'd have a flop this week :(

message 14: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Sara wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I'm reading All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. It just won a Pulitzer :-)"

Ive wanted to read this too, but not sure i want to buy it."

I hear you, some of these book prices are steep!

message 15: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Sara wrote: "Oh my. I hope these lists pop up something i own."

I know! I almost gave up and then I saw >i>Kiss An Angel I think I have it buried in my kindle. I hope I have LOL!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments On the week where it says a book that scares you, does that just mean pick a horror book because how do you know if it scares you :-)

message 17: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Melissa wrote: "On the week where it says a book that scares you, does that just mean pick a horror book because how do you know if it scares you :-)"

LMAO! Good question Melissa. Well I guess we'll discuss and see. Perhaps "scares you" can be subjective? Either by length or topic or genre?? I can't do horror, like none. Nope, scardy cat?? That be me LOL!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments I love horror. I just don't read it as much as I did when I was a kid. I have some skery sounding books I could try :-)

message 19: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1037 comments I'm not in the mood for any of these boring books so I think I will skip this week.

message 20: by Sylvia (new)

Melissa wrote: "On the week where it says a book that scares you, does that just mean pick a horror book because how do you know if it scares you :-)"

There will be a list of them. I'm not a fan of horror either.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments I have several here at the house thank goodness. The thing us on the one where you have to pick a book you were supposed to read as a child. Ummm. I do good if I remember the week I'm in much less any books I was supposed to read and didn't as a child! *tears*

message 22: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Sylvia wrote: "Melissa wrote: "On the week where it says a book that scares you, does that just mean pick a horror book because how do you know if it scares you :-)"

There will be a list of them. I'm not a fan o..."

Oh good. Maybe I'll find something to read from the list. Crossing my fingers.

message 23: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Sara wrote: "I'm not in the mood for any of these boring books so I think I will skip this week."

Yeah, I'm hoping I do have Kiss An Angel because otherwise this week is going to be a bust for me and I don't want it to be :( and if next week is scary books, then crap! That's not going to work for me either. Big suck!

message 24: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1037 comments Belkis wrote: "Sara wrote: "I'm not in the mood for any of these boring books so I think I will skip this week."

Yeah, I'm hoping I do have Kiss An Angel because otherwise this week is going to be a bust for me ..."

I'm with you on both weeks. What is this Kiss an Angel book?

message 25: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Sara wrote: "Belkis wrote: "Sara wrote: "I'm not in the mood for any of these boring books so I think I will skip this week."

Yeah, I'm hoping I do have Kiss An Angel because otherwise this week is going to be..."

It's a romance :-D of course LOL! I was surprised to find it on the Poetry list to tell the truth hahahaha! So I hope it's not a mistake because if it is then I'll be plum out of luck hahahaha!

message 26: by Sylvia (new)

I'm not feeling this either lol

message 27: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 7239 comments Mod
Belkis, The Road by Cormac McCarthy is more like a dystopian than anything and it's on audio. Not really a bad book. I think you would like it. You should try this one it's something we would read as a group.

message 28: by Belkis (last edited Apr 25, 2015 08:06AM) (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Tracy wrote: "Belkis, The Road by Cormac McCarthy is more like a dystopian than anything and it's on audio. Not really a bad book. I think you would like it. You should try this one it's something we would read as..."

ugh, no, I've looked this one up before Tracy and it's not something I'm interested in reading, but thank you sweetie for looking it up for me :) but I do like the 1 book I found in the Poetry list though, so yay!

message 29: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Sylvia wrote: "I'm not feeling this either lol"

Hahahaha! yeah Sylvia the next 2 weeks are going to be tough for me too.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments I actually like it but I read all kinds of books so it's ok. The only thing is I got the book The Color Purple for my bday to read during this week when I didn't know I already had one. Arrgg. Oh well

message 31: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Melissa wrote: "I actually like it but I read all kinds of books so it's ok. The only thing is I got the book The Color Purple for my bday to read during this week when I didn't know I already had one. Arrgg. Oh well"

Sorry, but at least it's a good book. You'll read it eventually anyway if you can't get to it during next week's challenge.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments Well, I have so laying around that I want to get them. God! There is never enough time to figure it out. I have about 30 or 40 that are new or new/used that I want to get to, never mind the stacks. Sigh and s*•t :-/

message 33: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Melissa wrote: "Well, I have so laying around that I want to get them. God! There is never enough time to figure it out. I have about 30 or 40 that are new or new/used that I want to get to, never mind the stacks...."

We're right there with you hun, too many books not enough time :[

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments It sucks monkey butt :-(

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments Ok I'm asking for a little help here. I have so many books I can't decide which to read after I finish a couple I'm reading now. I'm going to put just a few up here and see what you all think. Which two should I pick.

Shadow and Bone & Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi Mystery Man (Dream Man, #1) by Kristen Ashley Seven Years (Seven, #1) by Dannika Dark The Faerie Guardian (Creepy Hollow, #1) by Rachel Morgan Frostfire (Kanin Chronicles, #1) by Amanda Hocking The Diabolical Miss Hyde (Electric Empire, #1) by Viola Carr The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1) by Jodi Meadows

message 36: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Melissa wrote: "Ok I'm asking for a little help here. I have so many books I can't decide which to read after I finish a couple I'm reading now. I'm going to put just a few up here and see what you all think. Whic..."

Okay I've read and loved Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi Mystery Man (Dream Man, #1) by Kristen Ashley Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo and I really want to read The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1) by Jodi Meadows and plan on reading Seven Years (Seven, #1) by Dannika Dark

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments Belkis wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Ok I'm asking for a little help here. I have so many books I can't decide which to read after I finish a couple I'm reading now. I'm going to put just a few up here and see what you..."

So three are really good. Yay!!

message 38: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Melissa wrote: "Belkis wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Ok I'm asking for a little help here. I have so many books I can't decide which to read after I finish a couple I'm reading now. I'm going to put just a few up here a..."

yup they're great!

message 39: by Sylvia (new)

Melissa wrote: "Ok I'm asking for a little help here. I have so many books I can't decide which to read after I finish a couple I'm reading now. I'm going to put just a few up here and see what you all think. Whic..."

I've only read Shatter Me so I say go with that :D

message 40: by Sylvia (new)

Belkis wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "I'm not feeling this either lol"

Hahahaha! yeah Sylvia the next 2 weeks are going to be tough for me too."

Lol at least we can try I suppose

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 695 comments Sylvia wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Ok I'm asking for a little help here. I have so many books I can't decide which to read after I finish a couple I'm reading now. I'm going to put just a few up here and see what you..."

Ok Shatter Me is in. Oh God, just thinking about them all. Here's an idea, don't think of them all

message 42: by Sylvia (new)

Melissa wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Ok I'm asking for a little help here. I have so many books I can't decide which to read after I finish a couple I'm reading now. I'm going to put just a few up here ..."

Lol one book at a time, just think that and YAY you will love Shatter Me

message 43: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl La Pa (cheryllp) | 37 comments Melissa wrote: "Ok I'm asking for a little help here. I have so many books I can't decide which to read after I finish a couple I'm reading now. I'm going to put just a few up here and see what you all think. Whic..."

I've read Seven Years (Seven, #1) by Dannika Dark Seven Years and Mystery Man (Dream Man, #1) by Kristen Ashley Mystery Man and loved them both. I plan on reading Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi , Shadow and Bone & Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo and The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1) by Jodi Meadows . So many books, so little time!

message 44: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Well almost done with Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and it's picked up and gotten interesting thank goodness :) I'll be done with it today, so yay!

message 45: by Sylvia (new)

Belkis wrote: "Well almost done with Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and it's picked up and gotten interesting thank goodness :) I'll be done with it today, so yay!"

I saw that it was sucking for you but glad it picked up. I haven't had any time for reading the last few days blah

message 46: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Sylvia wrote: "Belkis wrote: "Well almost done with Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and it's picked up and gotten interesting thank goodness :) I'll be done with it today, so yay!"

I saw that it was sucking for ..."

I feel you sweetie, life just gets in the way sometimes. I hope things settle back down soon so you can get your reading time back.

message 47: by Sylvia (new)

Belkis wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Belkis wrote: "Well almost done with Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and it's picked up and gotten interesting thank goodness :) I'll be done with it today, so yay!"

I saw that it ..."

I find that I tend to read more on Wed, Thur and Fri lol

message 48: by Belkis (last edited Apr 27, 2015 04:57AM) (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Sylvia wrote: "Belkis wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Belkis wrote: "Well almost done with Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and it's picked up and gotten interesting thank goodness :) I'll be done with it today, so yay!"
..."

For me it's weekends except for when I visit with my daughters which I will this upcoming weekend since it's my oldest daughter's birthday on Wednesday and we'll be visiting her for the weekend to celebrate together :)

message 49: by Sylvia (new)

Belkis wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Belkis wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Belkis wrote: "Well almost done with Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and it's picked up and gotten interesting thank goodness :) I'll be done with it ..."

Ooh, what is your plans?

message 50: by Belkis (new)

Belkis (bminaya) | 8313 comments Sylvia wrote: "Belkis wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Belkis wrote: "Sylvia wrote: "Belkis wrote: "Well almost done with Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and it's picked up and gotten interesting thank goodness :) I'll b..."

We're planning to have a beach weekend weather permitting :) and birthday brunch & birthday dinner with family. Should be loads of fun.

« previous 1