Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Looking For a Book About.. > Fall of the Roman Empire

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob Lackey | 4 comments Hi, I have read a few historical fiction books set in Roman Times (Conn Iggulden, Rosemary Sutcliff etc.), but was wondering if anyone could recommend a title that relates to the fall of the Roman Empire. I have read a couple of non-fiction books on this topic.
Thanks
Rob

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 2675 comments The only series I know of, set just at the fall, or shortly thereafter is by Richard Blake, the first one being Conspiracies of Rome

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5213 comments I think Eagle in the Snow is set near the end of the empire.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane | 3470 comments Dawn wrote: "I think Eagle in the Snow is set near the end of the empire."

Yes, winter of early 400s. There will be just a few decades to go till the fall.

message 5: by Jane (last edited Apr 24, 2015 10:31AM) (new)

message 6: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 564 comments Diana L. Paxson has a trilogy set around the time of the fall of Rome, ending with The Lord of Horses (actually, Lord of Horses, without the article—pace Goodreads), about Attila. The previous two books retell the Siegfried and Brunhilde myth.

message 7: by Rob (new)

Rob Lackey | 4 comments Thank you to the people above, I will get hold of the boo
ks mentioned.

message 8: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Arnott (sarnottmecom) | 3 comments Hi Robert,

The Conscience of the King is set in post-Roman England. The Little Emperors looks at what happens when the last Roman legion marches out of Britain. Both are by Alfred Duggan. The latter is probably more what you're after.